PDA

View Full Version : hooks on hoochies and similar rigs

Physion
02-18-2018, 07:27 PM
I was looking at a catalog today and noticed some walleye rigs that had a treble hook followed by a single hook. Has anyone ever tried that with a hoochie? I have occasionally used a small treble on a traditional wedding ring spinner when the fish were hitting but not staying on. Sometimes the small treble improved the hook up rate. Thoughts?

SuperD
02-19-2018, 09:36 AM
I'm not a fan of treble hooks for Kokes because I do release a number of fish if they are small. Treble hooks just cause too much damage.

Physion
02-19-2018, 10:44 AM
I release a fair number of fish also. I examine and watch them carefully to make sure they are ok. If I am releasing I try not to even take them out of the water. My wife and I can only eat so many. I even share some fish with friends or older people (at least older than me) who like fish but are no longer able to catch their own. That being said, there are times when I am definitely meat fishing, and trebles have occasionally solved the long line release problem. I am just wondering how the combination might work and if anyone else has tried it.

SuperD
02-19-2018, 12:51 PM
Kokanee being thrashers, I know I'd be wearing a few treble hooks myself, been there, done that. Depending on the size of the Kokes, a lot of LDR's & SDR's are soft mouth tears. I don't know how much a treble would fix that issue.

Physion
02-19-2018, 02:00 PM
Ok, I'll admit some lack of knowledge. What are LDR's & SDR's? The equivalent of my long line release? I claim I can tell whether a fish will taste good while it's still on the line. If it won't taste good, it gets the long line release. There is no data to oppose my claim. Just sayin'.

SuperD
02-19-2018, 02:50 PM
Exactly; LDR - long distance release and SDR - short distance release (just out of net range)