PDA

View Full Version : Lamaglass CG 80 GH Kokanee/Trout trolling rod

COfisherman
03-31-2017, 10:31 AM
Hi, just ordered a new rod for this year. It is the Lamaglass 8' composit 2 piece fiber glass with carbon fiber handle. Does anyone here use or have owned one, can't seem to find any reveiws or information on it. I ordered it because it is a 2 piece rod so it will fit my rod box on the Lund. Any input is accepted.
Thanks.
CH

COfisherman
04-11-2017, 09:00 AM
Hi all.
The rod arrived, this is the first kokanee purpose built rod forme. This rod is very well built and looks fantastic. I like the Lamaglass rods I have 3 rods total and they are top quality rods. I was little surprised that the extra 6" real makes this rod seem long at 8.0 ft. The ultra lite action makes the rod kind of feel whippy but it has enough back bone to handle some large koke's. maybe some nice trout.
I'll have get some hookups on kokes to rate the handleing an fishing ability of it, but it sure looks like it will do the job so far.
CH

gorgehunter
04-11-2017, 09:55 AM
Hi all.
The rod arrived, this is the first kokanee purpose built rod forme. This rod is very well built and looks fantastic. I like the Lamaglass rods I have 3 rods total and they are top quality rods. I was little surprised that the extra 6" real makes this rod seem long at 8.0 ft. The ultra lite action makes the rod kind of feel whippy but it has enough back bone to handle some large koke's. maybe some nice trout.
I'll have get some hookups on kokes to rate the handleing an fishing ability of it, but it sure looks like it will do the job so far.
CH

The majority of guys I know use Lamiglas rods for kokes with nothing but positive things to say about them. My current budget doesn't yet allow for such niceties as Lamiglas or Loomis, but have had good results using the lighter Whuppin Stick rods of all things. Not to mention I often have kids on the boat, so the cheaper rods are good for that. I about cried last year when the wind caught the lid of the rod storage compartment and came down onto my Berkley Buzz Ramsey jigging rod snapping it in half, I caught my 2 biggest kokes and some decent macs on that rod, granted it was only around $100 when new I decided after that I would only buy cheaper rods for a while.

COfisherman
04-11-2017, 11:06 AM
Sorry to hear about your lucky rod, I have an old Eagle Claw Deco Super III that is my best fishing friend I can't even guess as to how many trout, kokes and Walleye I have put in the freezer with that thing I never go out in the boat with out it. Next to my dog it is with me always. The Lamaglass rods are birth day gifts from my son, my wife's 46th Anniversary gift, and Christmas gifts.
CH

SuperD
04-11-2017, 11:15 AM
I've always been an inexpensive rod guy and put all my money into the reels. I bought a couple Lamiglass rods a few years ago but find myself afraid to fish them most of the time. LOL! My current everyday Kokanee rods are 2 Agility rods and 2 Velocity blue rods.

COfisherman
07-28-2017, 09:39 AM
Ok have used this rod now for the first half of the fishing season here in Colorado. Big thumbs down 👎. I have always had good thing to say about Lamaglass rods I have several. Now, I have to say this rod gets a big fat 1* rating from me. This rod is way to fragile for trolling. It has broke 3 times now. Popping it lose from the down rigger clip brakes the tip until the diameter get large enough to stop it from braking. The tip is way to small to take any shock at all I have not been able to land a single Koke off this rod. This is just an over priced noodle, only good for long lining. It will not stand up to down rigger use. The Kokanee Kid one peace graphite is a great Koke rod but is more expensive. I will go cheep for Koke rods from now on, just not worth it.
Just my first hand report.
CH

mrmike
07-28-2017, 11:17 AM
Read your post, I owned numerous lamiglass rods and actually find them to be a fantastic rod. I would make my concern felt and contact the company and voice your concerns. They can't fix it if they don't know about it. Firmly believe your post. I personnel only use one piece rods and for fishing prefer 7 ft rods. Recently Cabeles had a sale on Ok ima rods like 56.00 really nice rods in fact I almost bought one. Tight lines

COfisherman
07-28-2017, 01:57 PM
I called and sent the tip back for warranty and got the usual great coustomer service. Don't know if this new tip will be any better though this ting is really thin. I guess I don't know how to use a species specific rod like this I have always caught kokes on my trout rod and even fast action steelhead rods like the Lamaglass XCC 801 GH. I use that for every thing from stocker trout, bows, cutthroat, kokes, walleye, to 40+ inch N Pike.
I think this rod is just to thin at the tip. Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking Lamaglass just this rod. It would be better in graphite.
CH

SuperD
07-28-2017, 02:01 PM
My Lamiglass rod is so thin that you can see through it. I only use it for stocker bows and small Kokes.

COfisherman
07-28-2017, 02:55 PM
Hi Dave
Lol small kokes is all we have here violin in Colorado 12- 15" is the norm. They do get a bit bigger over in Blue Mesa. You may see a sterile male older than the3-4 yr olds that will be bigger but I have only seen one of those. Yea the classic glass rods are real thin and light don't think I can see through any of mine but they are thin for sure.
CH

Bent hook pontoon
08-05-2017, 03:07 PM
I purchased one a few weeks back. Loved it for the first 2 fish. Then it snapped pulling out of the downrigger! North 40 gave me my money back and I'm got another diawa DXS in the 8 foot to match my other rod I have had for a year. Not as limber but I know I will have these rods for years to come. I really wanted to be a Lamiglas guy! The CG 80 looks and feels amazing. But to fail like that just made me sick!

COfisherman
08-06-2017, 08:26 PM
Well got the warranty replacement. It is just like the original, supper tiny tip. I think I'm going to sell this one and get another Kokanee kid 7'6" graphite it is a better rod for me. The tip of the rod is like .065" or 1.65mm, which is pretty small dia. It is like super thin wall too.
CH

kokanee64
11-19-2017, 02:32 PM
I haven't caught a kokanee since mid September and we got back from the last Lake Powell trip 3 weeks ago, so this morning I was browsing through the most recent posts here hoping it would alleviate some of that twitchy "need to catch a fish" feeling. I'm sure there is as much disagreement about rods as there is about climate change and the New England Patriots, but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents for those who are already dreaming of the new rod they hope to buy for next summer.

I've had tremendous luck with Cabelas Whumppin' Sticks, 7', medium action, line weight 6 - 15 pounds. The rod tip measures 0.09 inches and is very soft/fast. I bought two of these 15 years ago for lead core fishing to replace a stiff Eagle Claw that was like fishing with a pool cue. Cabelas has replaced two of the rods (they have a lifetime warranty) that broke after unfortunate encounters with car doors and feet. The remaining original rod has caught literally hundreds of kokanees and trout. At the time of purchase a two piece 7 ft rod was about as big as I could store easily on my boat and I'm not sure I would go longer if buying now; I struggle sometimes with longer rods on boats when landing fish by myself. I guess my point here is that while higher quality rods are sometimes more fun (especially for me when casting for bass) cheap rods with the right characteristics can be great rods. I never have to worry about letting young, first-time-fishermen use the Sticks and the rod tips are so fast we lose very few kokanee when using these rods. I should also mention that almost all my kokanee are caught at Blue Mesa and range from 1.5 to 2.2 pounds.

For downriggers I use spinning rods, Cabelas Fish Eagle II, 2 piece, 6'6", 4-10 pound line weight. The rods tips are pretty fast and while I spool the reels with 10 pound braid, I put 12 ft of 10 pound mono on as leader for a little more stretch while landing fish. As I damage these rods (some have made more than 500 fishing trips, and stuff happens) I'm replacing them with St. Croix Triumphs, 2 piece, 6'6", medium-lite, fast action, 4-10 pound line rods. Since these rods are a little more spendy, I provide more instruction and monitoring when used by novices and kids (and I only buy the rods on sale). Again, I like the shorter rods when landing my own fish and even though much shorter than most people prefer, we lose very few kokes (guests lose a significantly higher percentage because they tend to horse fish). These rods are great for drop shot fishing for bass at Lake Powell. They aren't stiff enough for me when jigging for kokanees but I managed to bring in a 42" pike on one at Taylor Reservoir.

So if you are somewhat new to kokanee fishing and are wondering if your current rods will work, they probably will if they have relatively soft tips and you don't horse fish. I'm often surprised when I read how many kokanees people lose, although I'm sure many writers are catching much larger kokanees than are in my lake. I kept track for several days this summer and we lose between 3% and 5% of our hooked kokanees; but I also replace all the double, snelled hooks on the lures we buy with a single, red, very sharp, size 8,EWG treble hook. Lots of stuff works; don't be afraid to experiment. Kokanee64

platypus
01-01-2018, 02:06 PM
--I pull the rod in a sweeping motion toward the fish to get the full bend and power of the rod to release the clip. pulling the rod straight up puts all the pressure on the tip and can break even a sturdy single piece bass rod.

Ed J
01-01-2018, 02:35 PM
Ok have used this rod now for the first half of the fishing season here in Colorado. Big thumbs down 👎. I have always had good thing to say about Lamaglass rods I have several. Now, I have to say this rod gets a big fat 1* rating from me. This rod is way to fragile for trolling. It has broke 3 times now. Popping it lose from the down rigger clip brakes the tip until the diameter get large enough to stop it from braking. The tip is way to small to take any shock at all I have not been able to land a single Koke off this rod. This is just an over priced noodle, only good for long lining. It will not stand up to down rigger use. The Kokanee Kid one peace graphite is a great Koke rod but is more expensive. I will go cheep for Koke rods from now on, just not worth it.
Just my first hand report.
CH

change over to a Chamberlin release that will solve the problem of broken tips.

mrmike
01-02-2018, 01:14 PM
X2 with Ed J Chamberlain for sure. Somethings wrong here. No offence , but sounds like human error. There can't be that much tension on a release to release.First what pound test are you using on your main line? How much tension you butting on your release 2 to 3 # tension is plenty. OKUMA has some inexpensive noodle rods not bad. There is nothing kokanee kid has is worth the money. I really like lamaglass rods never had an issue I own over 50 different rods, I personnel use 5 # fly rod blanks, custom made noodle rods,some are Cousins,Gloomis,lamaglass rods. Good luck on your quest.

COfisherman
01-28-2018, 08:53 PM
X2 with Ed J Chamberlain for sure. Somethings wrong here. No offence , but sounds like human error. There can't be that much tension on a release to release.First what pound test are you using on your main line? How much tension you butting on your release 2 to 3 # tension is plenty. OKUMA has some inexpensive noodle rods not bad. There is nothing kokanee kid has is worth the money. I really like lamaglass rods never had an issue I own over 50 different rods, I personnel use 5 # fly rod blanks, custom made noodle rods,some are Cousins,Gloomis,lamaglass rods. Good luck on your quest.
Well it could be operator error. I am using 10# test mono, I hardly ever pull a rod out of he down rigger. I have used Chamberlain releases for years I hate to drake fish around so I set them real lite. These rods have broke on release from the down rigger. It's like they are just to thin to be used on a down rigger when they are under loaded. By the way the Kokanee Kid does not make the rod it is made by made by Lamaglass and sold by them. I like the rod and I don't have any thing against the Kid. He has done a lot for the Kokanee fishermen and shared a lot of info. I am glad he has done well for him self.
CH

platypus
01-29-2018, 10:34 AM
--very strange... I 've never had any rod break as you described so cannot really comment. some technical issues may cause this...like thread rap to tight or tip not fitted correctly... not anything you would be able to change. Only the company would be able to detect if this is a manufacture problem. they should know based on the number of rods returned if there is a manufacture issue.

Ed J
01-29-2018, 03:18 PM
reread post deleated.