PDA

View Full Version : Koke ?

mackaddict
06-18-2008, 04:22 PM
My wife and I are going to the gorge for a few days next week to celebrate our anniversary. I am a mack guy and I've never broke away from them long enough to fish for kokes. My wife would like to try the koke fishing during our trip. I haven't the slightest idea on how or where to get her into some kokes. Could you folks help me get going in the right direction? How deep, what speed, right tackle and where? I will be at lucerne and I know people get into them at pipeline and at the mouth of the canyon. Are these good places to look? Thanks for the help in advance.

Kokehead
06-18-2008, 06:46 PM
Yes, the pipeline and surounding areas are great places to start. First, You need downriggers to pin-point the depths the kokes hold. Second, you need to watch your sonar and look for big black "blobs" on your screen, chances are they will be planktonand or schools of kokes. Set yourriggers to those depths.
Speeds, run your lures at 1.6-2.0 mph gps.
Lures, the ones that work best for me are made by rocky mountain tackle. 50/50 pink green or uv pink splash dodgers pulling either a pink u.v. squid 12" behind dodger or a mai-tai serpant spoon 24" behind dodger.
Scents, scent your "hooked" lures with pro cure brand in sweet corn, kokanee special, carp spit, or harring. Mix it up with any combonation of lures and scents.
Or just simply go to rockymountaintackle.com and go to the "tips and tricks" link and it will give you more details on kokanee fishing. And good luck, hope this helps.

Propnut69
06-18-2008, 08:28 PM
Wellllllllllll,how much money do you want to spend?? Both RMT and Shasta Tackle make some great stuff for kokeanee. Get lures and squids in three primary colors Orange,Chartreuse, and Pink. Get a small assortment of dodgers,in basic colors of silver,red,green. You will need downrigger's or a way to get lures 40-50 ft deep. Lots of good info in the net,do a little research.

Trophy Taker
06-19-2008, 10:53 AM
Propnut hit it the nail on the head, a small assortment of squids and dodgers should get you into the kokes. Do you have downriggers?

mackaddict
06-19-2008, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the info... that helps. I do have a down rigger nothing fancey but it should work. I know the stores in Manilla carry some of the things you mentioned. But I've haven't noticed the scents, I don't have enough time to mail order anything. So does anybod know where I can find it "localy"? I've been surfing the net trying to get as much info as I can find so with a little luck she can get a few. Who knows I may get the koke addiction too. Thanks again.

Trophy Taker
06-19-2008, 03:10 PM
Sportsmans warehouse carries most Pro-Cure Scent products and the Shasta tackle & Rocky Mtn tackle may also be a little cheaper than those available in Manila.

Petty4life
06-19-2008, 03:41 PM
My wife and I are going to the gorge for a few days next week to celebrate our anniversary. I am a mack guy and I've never broke away from them long enough to fish for kokes. My wife would like to try the koke fishing during our trip. I haven't the slightest idea on how or where to get her into some kokes. Could you folks help me get going in the right direction? How deep, what speed, right tackle and where? I will be at lucerne and I know people get into them at pipeline and at the mouth of the canyon. Are these good places to look? Thanks for the help in advance.

right now the Pipeline (the blvd) is on fire. Lots of boats in there doing very good, buckboard area has been kinda hit and miss.

Kokaholic
06-22-2008, 12:57 AM
If you will be at Lucerne, Hit the marina store and they will have some scents. Any of the above listed scents will assist you. Lots of fish between Buckboard and the pipeline. Starta t 25 feet in the early am. As the sun gets higher in the sky and Warmer, go deeper up to 40-45 feet. pink is the Color With orange and yellow. all of the above listed products will get you into fish. Good luck.

mackaddict
06-23-2008, 03:08 PM
Thanks for all the help. I'm leaving tomarrow so we'll give it a try. I'll post how it goes when I get back.

mackaddict
07-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Whell we made out trip and me being the idiot that I am I forgot the downrigger. So we didn't do much koke fishing. We tried to do a little with snap weights but didn't do any good. Maybe next time. But we did get a few macks and some nice ones at that. Sorry not much to report on the kokes.