PDA

View Full Version : Replacment possibility for hoochies?!?

Addicted2Kokes
10-09-2016, 09:42 PM
Just curious if anyone has used crappie plastics in place of a hoochie squid? Was going to try to make one up and see how it would work. There are lots of color choices available for crappie plastics the only difference is the hoochie squid have eyes... Don't know if that helps with attracting Kokes. Also wondering if crappie plastics would be too small.. I'd just have to figure out how to get the line for my leader through the plastic. Will post pics when I try and rig a couple up.

trollmonkey
10-09-2016, 11:07 PM
I've done well with tubes for both kokes and trout. Like you said they come in lots of colors. I rig them just like you would a hoochie.On a short leader they look awesome,and I'm not sure you can tell they don't have eyes. My Daughter -In-Law held the North Carolina state record kokanee ( 3lb 9 oz) for five years, caught on a 1.5" tube behind a Sling Blade (um huhh). I thread them with a bobbin threader ,just poke it through and pull a double hook leader back through.

Addicted2Kokes
10-09-2016, 11:46 PM
Awesome thats good to know. Thanks for the quick response! Congrats to ur Daughter in law, that's a toad! The technique u talked about above seems much easier than what I had in mind. I was thinking poke a hole in the tube with a small tac of some sort or heat the end of a tack up with a lighter and melt a hole into it... (but that may make a bigger whole than I'm wanting). Don't get me wrong hoochies are killer I just got alot of crappie jigs sitting around so I thought I'd give it a shot. Was going to try and fabricate some different set ups and make some custom wedding rings this winter to try out next spring.
Kinda over crappie fishing now that I'm hooked on fishing for these slime rockets!

liketrolling
10-10-2016, 01:23 PM
Just curious if anyone has used crappie plastics in place of a hoochie squid? Was going to try to make one up and see how it would work. There are lots of color choices available for crappie plastics the only difference is the hoochie squid have eyes... Don't know if that helps with attracting Kokes. Also wondering if crappie plastics would be too small.. I'd just have to figure out how to get the line for my leader through the plastic. Will post pics when I try and rig a couple up.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I keep long slender sewing needles for hand-sewing in my boat for rigging hoochies and tubes on the boat
just put the leader in the needle and pull it through the tube or hoochie
some ways I have rigged them this year that has worked good

I put this stuff in side the plastics or out side in front of the squid or tube and a bead before the spinner you need the bead or the float will wear out
google Fishing Quick Change Systems you will find some FLOATS, 1/4" SMALL RIG FLOATS I like pink, Pink/white or orange
or Worden's yakima bait Lil'Corky floater

and Quick Change Spinners

I had a fishing guide ask me why this was working so good for me. I said I don't know unless no one is using this setup

mtncat1
10-11-2016, 12:57 AM
radical glow already sells koke rigs with crappie tubes on them , they should work great though

chukardave1
10-12-2016, 03:13 PM
I second the sewing needle for getting it on the leader. I always have a few on the boat just to rig hootchies. I also recommend the rubber bobber stops being put on first. You can adjust your distance from the hooks to the back of the crappie tube by simply sliding the bobber stop. One thing I see a lot around here are folks who bury the top hook into the skirt of their hootchie/crappie tube. I like, and have had the best success, with keeping the end of the hootchie skirt just above the bend of the first hook.

Addicted2Kokes
10-12-2016, 10:50 PM
That's funny you brought that up. I bought a couple wedding rings yesterday pre made cause I liked the colors and it looked good untill I got it out of the package... The first hook was placed Right but the hook off the back was close to 4" from the first.... Needless to say I think a guy is better off making his own with his prefered length. I've seen it like u where saying with the hooks inside the hoochie skirts as well.. And people are wonder why they loose so many fish! Has anyone tied up three hooks opposed to just the
Normal 2 on a hoochie set up??? Tip one with corn and the other 2 with mags or 2 corn and 1 mag? I guess you would just have to make sure the hooks are All somewhat close together almost right behind each other. Idk may be too much... just a thought.

mtncat1
10-13-2016, 10:02 PM
you got a couple of walleye rigs they have a large spread on the hooks for a crawler. i have just retied those for kokanee .