PDA

View Full Version : Nantahala Kokanee 2016

rgarbar
06-15-2016, 04:26 PM
I have not been up at Nantahala very much this season because of treatment for a long term health issueviolin. I was recently up at the lake for about 10 days and was able to get out 5 times to fish. For me the fishing was slow. Also my wife insisted she go with me because of my health(she's a real Jonah.golucky) I only managed 2 small kokes(released) and one 15" rainbow and got skunked 3 times in 5 trips. Some decent trout have come out of the lake by other fishermen/neighbors(see photos note Brook trout caught from the nantahala river inlet inlet). I am hoping to be on the lake next week and fish again.

1bigfish
06-16-2016, 11:30 PM
I hope you get better soon. See you on the lake. Fred

Dr. Oc
06-17-2016, 07:50 PM
Hey Ron, I',m sorry to hear about any health issues. I was worried about you since I hadn't seen any posts yet this year. Glad to hear you are back on the water, though! I wish you all the best in fighting whatever it is that's had you down. I don't think my family will be making the trip out there this year...so I'll have to experience it through y'alls posts. So keep'em coming, please. Good luck and God bless!

rgarbar
06-30-2016, 07:20 AM
I am back at the lake. Went out yesterday morning for a few hours and caught 3 kokes. The were all in the 13" range and seemed to be 3 year immature fish. These fish will be in the 18" to 20+" range next year when they spawn. I have not caught a mature yet this year but have not really been out much. We had a deep fall draw down at the lake several years ago for dam and flood gate repairs. Might have affected the spawning run on the upper Nantahala river. The fish were caught at 45' down. Green was the color of the day. Other colors were ignored.

trollmonkey
06-30-2016, 07:20 PM
I am back at the lake. Went out yesterday morning for a few hours and caught 3 kokes. The were all in the 13" range and seemed to be 3 year immature fish. These fish will be in the 18" to 20+" range next year when they spawn. I have not caught a mature yet this year but have not really been out much. We had a deep fall draw down at the lake several years ago for dam and flood gate repairs. Might have affected the spawning run on the upper Nantahala river. The fish were caught at 45' down. Green was the color of the day. Other colors were ignored.

Hey Ron ,I really would have loved to be out there today. It looks like I"m out of fishing commission for several weeks to a few months,so I may miss out on kokes this year. My truck is totaled and I have a fractured vertebrae in my lower back. Got wiped out three miles from home. Just glad I wasn't hauling the boat. Keep at them Ron. I'll delete some stuff to clear out my in box.

smokysteelhead
07-02-2016, 07:55 PM
Nice fish.

I would still like to see a 5 fish limit.

TrollingNC
07-04-2016, 02:30 AM
Mark really sorry to hear about the accident you had...was really hoping to fish with you this season. Reading through the posts here really pulls at my heart strings concerning Nantahalas Kokanee population especially after years of involvement in the west coast Kokanee fisheries. There is so much that can be done to insure this fishery stays viable but it would definatly require the state to believe it is worth their effort. The only way that's going to happen is if it's definable from a revenue advantage. They have to believe that the effort is going to increase the user base to a point it affects the revenues it takes to pay for the project. The Kokanee population in Nantahala as you know is an anomaly. There is some amount of biological perfection taking place that has allowed these fish to sustain all these years...and to this point when you consider the Kokanee fisheries on the west coast and the immense amount of support it receives from the state and the two organizations present there are very few self sustaining populations. Outside of the genetics of the original fish the population size really controls the size of the fish at the end of life cycle. Over population will result in stunted fish especially if the plankton blooms are weak in any given year. If the group that fishes the lake consistently now enjoys catching trophy size kokes I wouldn't want additional fish stocked. It will change the size class at adulthood immensely. Personally I would rather it be left alone from the standpoint of additional fish.
I agree that adopting a smaller creel size and education on mortality would improve the fishery. If you catch a Koke keep it no matter what size it is...studies have been done during large Kokanee tournaments I have been involved in that proves once brought to surface they are going to expire...with a small exception during extremely cold surface water.
One other thing I wanted to impart when your not graphing fish in open water or the usual normal areas because of boat pressure, jet skis (blah) and crazy water skiers find the deepest coves on the main body of the lake or the deepest parts of the river channel coves and you will find the fish at least until they move up the channel and start staging for spawn. Sorry if you already knew this...lol
I'll be up there in two weeks...hope to run into some of you...hopefully my rental boat will be available!

trollmonkey
07-04-2016, 11:10 AM
Trolling would you happen to be a certain Mr. Kennon? If so I was wondering if you had a chance to get back up to the Mountains. I'm hoping to get great news at the Dr.on Wed or my 2016 Koke chasing may be Angler West shows on You tube. I had a great half day trip after rainbows to Cedar Cliff the last of May. The ones I cleaned were packed with daphnia,so I hope that's the case in all the Mountain lakes.

trollmonkey
07-04-2016, 11:13 AM
Hey Ron ,Did you fish anymore after Wed?

rgarbar
07-04-2016, 11:20 AM
Welcome aboard. A very nice post. You sound like you know your kokes. Have you relocated to NC or are just on vacation? The fishing has been a bit slow this year but it could still open up. Hopefully your West coast techniques will be productive for you. Let us know how you make out.

rgarbar
07-04-2016, 11:34 AM
Hey Ron ,Did you fish anymore after Wed?

Mark

Hope your prognosis is good and you are making a fast recovery. Have not been out fishing lately as this is the worst time up here because of the 4th of July. Too many Jet skies, overpowered geezer barges towing rafts, fast bass boats etc. Fire works and gun shots going off all night. Things should get better as these folks return to the cities this week. I will try to get again before I head back to FL for treatment next week. I should be back at Nantahala on July 17. Will fish for kokes again for a couple of weeks then start trailering to Cheoah and Calderwood and perhaps Appalachia(I hate that boat ramp). You take care of yourself and have a rapid recovery.

Ron

trollmonkey
07-04-2016, 11:43 AM
If nothing else I may be able to get one more trolling rod built and make some spinners .I think I still have your address ,so I'll send you some. Good luck with your treatments and have a safe trip to Florida. Mark

TrollingNC
07-04-2016, 01:10 PM
Trolling would you happen to be a certain Mr. Kennon? If so I was wondering if you had a chance to get back up to the Mountains. I'm hoping to get great news at the Dr.on Wed or my 2016 Koke chasing may be Angler West shows on You tube. I had a great half day trip after rainbows to Cedar Cliff the last of May. The ones I cleaned were packed with daphnia,so I hope that's the case in all the Mountain lakes.

Hey Mark...yes it's me. I only had the one trip when I met you unfortunately. I'm heading up there in a couple of weeks if the vessel I used last time is available. I'm still struggling with finding the perfect boat. PM me on Facebook sometime this week when your available to talk...just some exploratory conversation with a few opinions thrown in for good measure...lol. Have a great 4th Mark!

rgarbar
07-06-2016, 04:00 PM
Nice map of Nantahala Lake stream beds.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1BC-ccbAagBI9rxq-ihmr8nUk4hM

rgarbar
07-09-2016, 03:07 PM
Had a decent morning at Nantahala. Caught 3 Kokes in the 13" to 14" range. Also got a walleye at about 15". All fish were caught 42' to 52' down and green/chartreuse hootchies took them all. Lost 2 fish on the way to the boat. What a difference in the fight a Koke puts out and the dead branch fight of a Walleye! Won't be out for another week or so. Hoping the bite is still on.

trollmonkey
07-09-2016, 08:03 PM
Had a decent morning at Nantahala. Caught 3 Kokes in the 13" to 14" range. Also got a walleye at about 15". All fish were caught 42' to 52' down and green/chartreuse hootchies took them all. Lost 2 fish on the way to the boat. What a difference in the fight a Koke puts out and the dead branch fight of a Walleye! Won't be out for another week or so. Hoping the bite is still on.

Sweet Ron looks like a nice fish dinner in the works,glad you're into them. I think Trolling NC is coming up this week ,so interested to see how he does. Have a safe trip.

rgarbar
07-19-2016, 03:41 PM
The fisherman's almanac and last nights full moon said it would be a poor days fishing. I went out anyway. Had a slow day but did manage 2 kokanee in the 13+" range. One took a red hootchie the other a chartreuse spinner. I went out of my comfort zone and caught these two fish in a place I normally do not fish. These were caught at 48' down. A lot of empty water but I did run into some decent schools of something in 25' to 65+' depths of the lake. The block house area of the dam and the forestry side of the Rocky Branch abyss had fish but I could not even get a strike.

The kokanee are still biting but they seem to running smaller than the past few years. The Kokanee that I have caught look very healthy and are nice and plump. I will fish for them for a few more weeks. However, I am looking forward to fishing Cheoah and Calderwood reservoirs for trout.

ps Mark That was one of your spinners. The green bead with glowing white bladethumbsup

trollmonkey
07-19-2016, 05:49 PM
Hey Ron, Nice keep at them ,I'm fishing vicariously with you now. Great the spinner worked ,like I said let me know if you want something in a particular color. I know the fishing is tough from reports I've heard,that full moon always seems to work me over. I just finished wrapping a trout/kokanee trolling rod ,I've had the blank for almost two years ,so bout time. Congrats on beating the skunk. Oh yeah if you fish Cheoah run some big lures there are some nice musky swimming around. I saw one 30" musky Powell had that ate two 10"-12" rainbows.

rgarbar
07-31-2016, 11:16 AM
I just got a report. Seems Slim from Fontana lake(you may know him Mark) fished Nantahala lake yesterday afternoon and caught 3 nice kokanee at 100' down in the main channel in about 180' of water. I am going to hit the lake tomorrow.

trollmonkey
07-31-2016, 11:44 AM
Hey Ron, That's good to hear ,just makes wish I was fishing. A couple of the previous summers when it got so hot the fishing fell off,it may be we figure out what is happening in the brutal late summer heat. I've marked fish way deep before I figured were kokes ,but they weren't hitting.Always figured I should have been there at day light or dark to catch the bite on those days. In several WNC lakes I know spots that always have fish,not always biters. If I'm lucky enough to be there when the bite turns on you can limit real quick. If I ever get organized enough I want to see if there is some how the bites relate to water release times.The currents pulling across points and humps should be something fish take advantage of.It may could help us focus our times and locations to get into more fish of all species.

trollmonkey
08-16-2016, 06:49 PM
If all goes well we're headed to Nantahala on Saturday. Anxious to hit it at least once the season. Now if only the kokes will cooperate.thumbsup

rgarbar
08-17-2016, 06:50 AM
If all goes well we're headed to Nantahala on Saturday. Anxious to hit it at least once the season. Now if only the kokes will cooperate.thumbsup

Glad the doctor released you to fish again. I fished on Monday and got one koke about 13" and 2 other strikes. Still slow and the fish are small. The local guide claims to have caught 8 last week on two trips. Did not get a mature fish all season, nor did any other kokanee fishermen I spoke with. Is the end near? The action took place up toward the inlet in that large open area just before the lake gets narrow(the area the guide caught the kokes). The kokes seem very scattered but still biting if you can find them. I have a dozen or so koke heads for Powell if you want them.

trollmonkey
08-17-2016, 06:29 PM
Hey Ron ,For sure I'll get the heads you have,hope to contribute a few myself. I've got a couple of different things I want to try ,so maybe I'll get onto something. Have you been marking many fish lately? I'll try to narrow down what time we'll be out there.

rgarbar
08-18-2016, 01:41 PM
Hey Ron ,For sure I'll get the heads you have,hope to contribute a few myself. I've got a couple of different things I want to try ,so maybe I'll get onto something. Have you been marking many fish lately? I'll try to narrow down what time we'll be out there.

The kokes seem scattered all over the lake and at various depths(60' to 100' down). I would try your normal spots. If that does not work head toward the inlet and try that large open area before the lake gets narrow towards the river. I did get a little action up there earlier in the week. Try to let me know when you expect to arrive. I will be driving over to the ramp as I took my boat out of the water and will start traveling to Cheoah and Santeelah to troll for trout. Boat traffic is down.

rgarbar
08-31-2016, 11:43 AM

Mark

Tried to PM you but failed. Larry and Dale report they are still catching kokes in that area above the Nantahala river inlet @ 80+" down. I hit Cheoah lake on Monday and the bite was really on. I stopped counting at 11. Kept these for the dinner table. All others released. Caught at least 2 on your spinners tipped with corn towed behind dodgers. Got some good news from Moffitt cancer center. I am in remissionthumbsup. Hoping your recovery is going well.

trollmonkey
08-31-2016, 08:29 PM
Wow ,I am happy to hear you are in remission!!!! Great trip to Cheoah ,I still have to get there and try out the new ramp. What area of the lake were you fishing? We have done well at Cheoah around the high bridge down to 20 Mile Creek. The powerhouse in the bend is good as is the flat downstream of the power house . We used to anchor on the flat and fish crawlers and Little Cleos with great success. One fun thing on Cheoah was fishing around trash/scum lines looking for rising trout,if we were fast enough to get a Cleo in front of a trout it was on. I meant to post after our trip to Nantahala, just can't figure how to put up some pics. We got a 20" rainbow 5 minutes after we started,then no bites for 5 and a half hours. We got into kokes about 3:00 and caught 7 and lost 5 or 6 in just over two hours. It was an awesome trip after not fishing for two months. I'm hoping to get a trip in a week or two ,probably to Cedar Cliff. Oh yeah have you heard of any big kokes caught? The two biggest we got had large eggs and well developed nads getting ready to spawn.

trollmonkey
09-01-2016, 07:26 PM
Hey Ron, I deleted some messages sorry. Let me know if you get back out.You would like Cedar Cliff ,it's about 20 minutes the other side of Sylva from you. Nice landing and around 140 acres,hardly any boat traffic.

rgarbar
09-07-2016, 10:36 AM
Hey Ron, I deleted some messages sorry. Let me know if you get back out.You would like Cedar Cliff ,it's about 20 minutes the other side of Sylva from you. Nice landing and around 140 acres,hardly any boat traffic.

Hit Cheoah yesterday and found this when I went to launch. Launching was very dicey and I am sure the ramp will be closed and removed by the state for safety reasons. Looked like arson and the fire was very recent as I could smell the burned wooden decking.:mad: Did manage to catch these 5 and lost a few more on the way in. Had a few good strikes as well. Fish all over the water column. Going to hit Calderwood next Monday(hope they did not torch the Calderwood dock)

trollmonkey
09-07-2016, 11:19 PM
Cheoah looks to be fishing well. The brown you got on your last trip was pretty sweet.It had to be a wild fish,the state hasn't stocked browns in several years now. Stinks some moron burned the dock, that whole landing is only a couple of years old. I may try some stream near home this weekend ,and maybe Cedar Cliff in a week or so.