PDA

View Full Version : What Size/Style hooks & leader for FG Snell hooks?

TRUBBS
01-03-2016, 11:05 AM
Had a few of my hooks break off last year and want to tie up some new ones, maybe even change all mine over so looking to see what size/style hooks you guys like the most and what size line would be best to use to rig these guys up for fishing flaming gorge? was thinking a mono 10lb line and a size 4 red gamagatsue (<- spell check) hook?

Petty4life
01-03-2016, 11:16 AM
Most tackle companies use size 4 hooks and 10lb mono. If it was me I'd so size 2 and 15lb for the gorge

TRUBBS
01-03-2016, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the Tip, I'll have to pick some up, or see if I can find a good deal online for some bulk.

SuperD
01-03-2016, 12:24 PM
I like sickle hooks because they have a little longer shank which makes tying them a lot easier IMO. As for size, #2 but only because they have a wider gap. Fish usually don't break the hooks but the guy with the pliers.

TRUBBS
01-03-2016, 12:45 PM
Yup I agree,
I've caught myself grabbing the hook up higher on the shanks where the line is wrapped a few times.

Petty4life
01-03-2016, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the Tip, I'll have to pick some up, or see if I can find a good deal online for some bulk.

I have some if your intrested

TRUBBS
01-03-2016, 03:50 PM
I just ordered 25 red octopus sickle hooks for $5 bucks, if I need more I'll get in touch with ya.
Thanks for the offer!

SuperD
01-03-2016, 09:13 PM
I'll just give one last opinion on line choices. The fish at the Gorge are really rough on the line but no necessarily because they break it by their weight or strength. They are so violent that they tend to create abrasion issues. If we get lazy and don't check our leaders after every fish, we put a damaged leader back out and run the risk of losing the next fish. Heavier weight line just aids in our laziness. I tie lots of leaders and have them ready to switch out when needed. Whether one uses 10, 12 or 15 pound test, it really boils down to how long one wants to go between swapping leaders. My personal choice is 10 pound because I want a limper line for increased lure action with lures that impart their own action. On the other hand, hutchies can benefit from the stiffer line so that the dodger action is more efficiently transferred to the hootchie.

TRUBBS
01-04-2016, 02:00 PM
I ordered 500 yards of 15lb mono & a jar of Red "head cement" to cover the snell knots to hopefully help keep them lasting a little longer

downriggeral
01-04-2016, 03:11 PM
I don't have trouble with the snell knots but there is trouble from the kokanee spinning up the back hook damaging the leader. I have a friend who has started doing the back hook in 40# Power Pro. Really seems to help.

SuperDaveMT
01-05-2016, 03:32 PM
I ordered 500 yards of 15lb mono & a jar of Red "head cement" to cover the snell knots to hopefully help keep them lasting a little longer

I would think true head cement would damage mono line. Is this more of a glow hook creating concoction? If so, what is it?

TRUBBS
01-05-2016, 07:57 PM
I would think true head cement would damage mono line. Is this more of a glow hook creating concoction? If so, what is it?

the stuff i bought is "loon outdoors hard head"
I tried searching to see if anyone uses this but only found scattered results on it.

SuperD
01-05-2016, 08:12 PM
I assume that you are putting the cement on merely to protect the knot? It should work fine for that purpose.

TRUBBS
01-05-2016, 09:32 PM
I assume that you are putting the cement on merely to protect the knot? It should work fine for that purpose.

exactly, just to help keep from damaging it with the pliers is all