PDA

View Full Version : How's your Hunting Season Going

SuperDaveMT
11-04-2015, 11:50 AM
After several close calls, but no arrows flung during bow season, my daughter and I were able to drop a young bull (her) and a cow (me) on opening day here in Montana. Talking to a friend, it sounds like another hunter had my daughter's bull in his sights when she dropped him in his tracks. I also got to help a friend pack out his bull (a nice 330 6 X 6) last week. The elk are getting heavier and the mountains steeper every year. I still have a bull (general) tag in my pocket and plan to get out for deer next week.

How's your season going?

Bogey
11-04-2015, 08:01 PM
Congrats on what sounds like a good start! And I think it's fantastic your daughter is sharing those hunts with you!!! If your kids are with you, everything is good! For the first time in a LONG time, I chose to not even buy a waterfowl stamp this year - I thought my dog wouldn't be able to hunt anymore and sold my duck boat 18 months ago = did a few easy duck hunts with friends last year. I have my annual ONE day pheasant hunt coming up in a few weeks at really nice place (tough hunting, but private ground that usually holds birds if you can march thru it) and my 9 1/2 year old lab looks like she's got a few hours in her anyway, so that will probably be it for me?

You talk about steeper mountains, well, I hear you! I'm starting to get up there in age (only 59, but many injuries/surgeries/etc... LOL, in other words I'm kind of worn out! It was getting tougher and tougher to get up at 3:00 AM & run that ice cold/jet black river and then haul decoys and fight icy rocks/etc... but I'd of probably done it until I croaked, but our son has a family and commitments and he just doesn't hunt much with me anymore and that really took the wind out of my sails...

Keep chasing them critters and keep making memories!!!

sawtooth
11-04-2015, 11:17 PM
Congrats to you and you daughter on your two elk. My son and I each shot a our Mulie bucks. His was a tall 21" 4x4. His largest to date. Mine was a 19" 3x4. My son was pretty pumped about out doing his old man.😀 This was the first elk season I have missed in over thirty years due to a back injury I have been rehabbing. So I understand your statement about getting older. Brought the last buck out in my backpack on my own and that was all I needed to convince myself that my upcoming elk hunt was going to be out of the question. Next on the agenda is chukar and quail hunting with my German shorthair and Vizsla. Good luck on the rest of your hunting season.