PDA

View Full Version : kokanee spawn restrictions

Shae
08-12-2015, 02:02 PM
When the guidebook says that you cannot keep a koke with red color from August 15 to the last Saturday of September, that means if you catch one that isn't red at all you can keep it. Right? Am I being silly here? Just want to understand because I am camping at Porcupine this weekend.

SuperD
08-12-2015, 03:59 PM
It can be common to catch next years class of Kokanee and yes, you can keep those.

mtncat1
08-12-2015, 11:47 PM
I was at porcupine last Thursday and that exact subject came up, my friend who fishes there a lot said the koke season ends in the 15 of august, I was unaware of this because I mostly fish the berry. so I did look it up and I came to the same concussion as you did but my friend insists I am wrong , you may want to call the ut dwr for advise. good luck. fishing was slow for us 4 small kokes and 1 bow , we did have several hits and misses.

SuperD
08-13-2015, 12:55 PM
From the reg book:

Causey Reservoir, Weber County
• CLOSED to the possession of kokanee
salmon with any red color within the
high-water mark of the reservoir from
Aug. 15 through 6 a.m. on the last
Saturday of September.
Causey Reservoir tributaries, Weber
County
Right and left forks of the South Fork Ogden
River, from Causey Reservoir upstream to the
headwaters.
• CLOSED Aug. 15 through 6 a.m. on the
last Saturday of September.

FlamingGorge
• All kokanee salmon caught from Sept.
10 through Nov. 30 must be immediately
released

Porcupine Reservoir, Cache County
• CLOSED to the possession of kokanee
salmon with any red color from Aug. 15
through 6 a.m. on the last Saturday of
September.

Translation, Flaming Gorge Koke season ends on September 10th and reopens on December 1st.
Porcupine and Causey Koke season appears to be year around and contains a 6 week ban on spawners only. Which is very interesting considering at least one of those lakes is considered to be over populated and full of stunted fish.