PDA

View Full Version : Bait suggestions for Strawberry

El Duderino
07-09-2015, 10:55 AM
I am new to kokanee fishing. First day out with my downriggers at Strawberry we were tipping our rigs (mainly pink squid) with nightcrawlers and had good success. Then I was doing a little research on the web and noticed zero references to crawlers for kokanee. Lots of folks use white shoepeg corn, but as I understand, that is illegal in Utah. Second time out we used white gulp maggots. Had equally good success for kokanee and caught fewer cuts (which is fine by me, more time in the water to attract kokanee). Maggots are certainly less hassle and cheaper in the long run, but I mainly want to land more fish.

What are your typical baits for kokanee fishing at Strawberry?

Anyone using gel scents? Any suggestions on brands/types?

liketrolling
07-09-2015, 11:52 AM
worms work but you may get more cuts. most use Maggots there are pink white and green. live maggots work also. using corn is a no no even if it is in your boat you can get a ticket.
most use squids and dodgers with a 8 to 10" leader between the dodger and squid. you need to find the right set up this can change day to day. but pink is best.
what works for one guy may not work for you.
you need to have your downrigger ball just above the kokes 25' to 40' down.
speed about 1.7 to 2 mph. what kind of dodger you use will change this.

El Duderino
07-09-2015, 01:23 PM
That is pretty much what we have been doing. I have been using fairly large silver dodgers with RMT pink squid.

Live maggots? Where do you get live maggots?

COKEANEE
07-09-2015, 07:29 PM
Road kill...