PDA

View Full Version : Walleye Worm Harness

SuperD
07-03-2015, 05:37 PM
Everyone knows that I like to make spinners. I have started making some worm harnesses now that I've been bitten by the Walleye bug.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e204/dave_rce1/WallI-6_zpsa8ovyfw5.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e204/dave_rce1/WallI-4_zpsoduuzpy2.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e204/dave_rce1/WallI-3_zpschkzb7cx.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e204/dave_rce1/WallI-8_zpsc1te7g1p.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e204/dave_rce1/WallI-7_zpsgxtgifff.jpg

Bogey
07-03-2015, 06:34 PM
I like them, especially that top one! I seem to have had more luck with the ones I'm building that have one or two floats in them (they look like a fat hot dog). LOL, but as soon as I think I have something figured out, they stop hitting that and switch colors, or go from smile blades to hard blades101duh101

SuperD
07-03-2015, 07:55 PM
Show me how it's done Bogey. Post a couple of your go to options.

Bogey
07-03-2015, 08:03 PM
LOL, I was SURROUNDED in gear for two days, took it back out to the shop - leaving in 5 minutes for camping (NO FISHING...) Will post up some pics Sunday!

remembering
07-04-2015, 12:52 AM
The second one seems to be the best one as it has the mangled hook

SuperD
07-04-2015, 09:59 AM
The second one seems to be the best one as it has the mangled hook

I'm trying a "slow death" hook on the ones with a single hook. The "mangled" design is supposed to roll the bait slowly as it is pulled through the water.

trollmonkey
07-04-2015, 09:42 PM
Nice spinners SuperD ! I really like those blades,did you paint them? Walleye are awesome eating,if one big enough to filet hits my boat deck it's in trouble.

SuperD
07-04-2015, 11:27 PM
These are "ghost blades" and come painted. They have lots of great patterns. They are plastic and designed to spin at very low speeds.

mrmike
07-05-2015, 11:54 AM
Just finished up with my first ever solo Walleye trip. If I can help use the plastic clip that you can changes your blades. Did manage to put 6 in the boat just me and my wife. The larges 6#. I kept hanging up lost close to 8 rigs then I shorten my leaders from 4ft to 3 and 31/2 ft . I purchased a fish finder with DuView it was asume. I was able to find snags before we hooked up. We found light grn/yellow and orange beads and blade,and purple blades with chartreuse beads worked all day. I understand different areas the water coloring is different. Were we were viability was about a foot. We kept changing are blades dark water dark blades. We felt Indiana and Colorado blades in 3 and 4 worked great. Fished Friday and Saturday and finished up with 11 hope this helps

SuperD
07-05-2015, 01:39 PM
Just finished up with my first ever solo Walleye trip. If I can help use the plastic clip that you can changes your blades. Did manage to put 6 in the boat just me and my wife. The larges 6#. I kept hanging up lost close to 8 rigs then I shorten my leaders from 4ft to 3 and 31/2 ft . I purchased a fish finder with DuView it was asume. I was able to find snags before we hooked up. We found light grn/yellow and orange beads and blade,and purple blades with chartreuse beads worked all day. I understand different areas the water coloring is different. Were we were viability was about a foot. We kept changing are blades dark water dark blades. We felt Indiana and Colorado blades in 3 and 4 worked great. Fished Friday and Saturday and finished up with 11 hope this helps

How deep of water were you fishing in and what size bottom bouncer were you using? I'm still trying to learn the basics of bottom bouncing worm harnesses. I'm also interested to know if worm harnesses work on suspended fish.

mrmike
07-05-2015, 06:18 PM
I was using 3 oz bottom bouncers. I was told I wanted to fish as verticle as possible. I was fishing in 15 ft as the sun got higher went into deeper water like 20/22 ft. They were not suspended. Hit the bottom and took one crank. Were we fished was affected by tide. We fished with the current look for anything that makes an Eddy.they are ambushers. Like Salmon fishing use structure to locate, rocky banks, alot of pilling etc this will ellimate a lot water not productive. With them big eyes sun sensitive boat houses were there current mooring areas. Make sure while trolling with the current you have spinner action. Just returned from Cabelas picked up some blades bottom bouncers, this was fun

Bogey
07-06-2015, 08:59 PM
Dave, nothing fancy here - in these two main colors, these are my main set ups (the buck was just for fun - he comes visiting every night). I'm either going salmon fishing Monday or walleye fishing - not sure which?

http://photos.imageevent.com/bogey/tempormiscpics/websize/temp%20002_2.JPG

Poor guy...
http://photos.imageevent.com/bogey/tempormiscpics/websize/7-2-2015_%20Goofy%20horned%20buck.jpg

SuperD
07-06-2015, 09:49 PM
I think I watched about 10 hours of Walleye fishing - YouTube videos this past weekend. My brain went into overload.

mrmike
07-07-2015, 01:23 AM
Super D sent you a PM

DLM
07-07-2015, 10:26 AM
Interesting reading as we are jumping into the Walleye pool this year also. We have a guided trip scheduled for August 3rd on the lower Columbia, which is our 41st wedding anniversary. Do I have a keeper or what!thumbsup

SuperD
07-07-2015, 10:51 AM
The planer boards and masts that I posted in the tackle craft forum were for this express intent. I got my clips and rings in the mail yesterday so I'm almost outfitted.

SuperD
07-07-2015, 10:54 AM
Interesting reading as we are jumping into the Walleye pool this year also. We have a guided trip scheduled for August 3rd on the lower Columbia, which is our 41st wedding anniversary. Do I have a keeper or what!thumbsup

I watched a Walleye episode on Angler West this past weekend that was on the Columbia. It looked like good fishing. When you get back, report on the trip and the evaluation of the guide. I might consider a trip up north.

Bogey
07-07-2015, 12:59 PM
DLM - YES you do!!thumbsup

DRM
07-07-2015, 01:58 PM
I went down to Salmon Falls Creek Res last month to try my hand at Walleye. Took the afternoon to figure out what they wanted ( and a pair of bino's helped laugh hyst ). Used a jig head with 2 inch curly tail.
Did not get the chance to try the worm harnesses that was purchased, maybe next time. or see how you guys do with them.
Cant wait fir DLM report on the Columbia...

Bogey
07-07-2015, 02:09 PM
The Columbia holds some big fish, but I don't fish it just because of obstacles in the river VS a lake... LOL, when I waterfowled 25 days a season, I didn't mind taking my duck boat all around on it, but now....well, not so much!

SuperDaveMT
07-15-2015, 04:21 PM
SuperD, have you found any deals on these blades or are you paying retail - around $4.89/3? They look very interesting - just what I needed, more tackle to buy!

SuperD
07-15-2015, 06:07 PM
Dave, I've been buying them directly from Dutch Fork Tackle because it is the only place I've found them in the #2 blades for Koke spinners as well.