PDA

View Full Version : strawberry

COKEANEE
06-08-2015, 09:18 PM
I've been hitting Strawberry pretty hard lately on the Soldier Creek side with mixed results. Have any of you Koke pros been doing any good at Strawberry lately?

COKEANEE
06-09-2015, 01:18 AM
Beuller, Beuller, Beuller. Anyone, anyone, anyone. With all the boats out there chasing Koke someone must have a report. PM if needed.

Bduck
06-09-2015, 09:13 AM
Haven't been but once to the Berry in the last month. The trip wasn't a skunk, only a very slow day. No kokes on that day. Plan on hitting it soon again.

BAGGEDLB7
06-09-2015, 05:49 PM
Might be going up this weekend but we havent been since memorial.

mtncat1
06-09-2015, 11:08 PM
I fished strawberry Friday 6/5/15 weather was wild to say the least . we started out with 40 mph winds which quickly calmed as the rain started. we fished mainly the berry side . we caught kokes between 5 and 35 feet deep . speed wasn't a factor but pink on pink dodger squid combo was the best. we ended up with 7 kokes about 3 bows and another 8 cutts . my friend did better he got 29 , so fishing should be great

BROWNBAGGER
06-10-2015, 12:51 PM
I'll be hitting it this weekend, tis alittle difficult finding them before they start stageing later on.

mtncat1
06-10-2015, 02:32 PM
I think I will be there Saturday my self they are out in front of sage hen knoll all the way up to the old dam. and in the usual spots on soldier creek you shouldn't have much trouble finding them if you see my boat swing by and say hello

ReelMasta
06-12-2015, 09:00 AM
Been hitting the Sage Hen area as well. With water temp at 54 I've had best luck up high. Planner boards with a bit of weight have worked well. Like usual orange and pink combination working well. The RMT pink serpent spoon has been producing best size fish. So far biggest boated this year was 21" 3.5 lb koke. Still waiting for that 4+ pounder. I think the Berry kokes fight much better than those I've hooked into at FG.

liketrolling
06-13-2015, 11:28 AM
I think I will be there Saturday my self they are out in front of sage hen knoll all the way up to the old dam. and in the usual spots on soldier creek you shouldn't have much trouble finding them if you see my boat swing by and say hello

if you go Saturday let us know if you get hit buy a boat. Friday the kokes were at 25 ft. lots of them. water temp was 60 deg when we left.

mtncat1
06-16-2015, 12:56 AM
if you go Saturday let us know if you get hit buy a boat. Friday the kokes were at 25 ft. lots of them. water temp was 60 deg when we left.

I went Saturday and the parking lot was an absolute zoo but once I got on the water it wasn't crowded at all. I ended up with about 20 kokes for the 2 days. thanks to every one who left at 11 so I could have the lake to myself.

COKEANEE
06-16-2015, 12:17 PM
Well, that's it! I'll be hitting Strawberry in the morning. This time I believe I'll go to the Strawberry side and leave Soldier creek a lone. Maybe.

BAGGEDLB7
06-16-2015, 04:48 PM
I went Saturday and the parking lot was an absolute zoo but once I got on the water it wasn't crowded at all. I ended up with about 20 kokes for the 2 days. thanks to every one who left at 11 so I could have the lake to myself.
Dang wish I would have went now.

Bduck
06-16-2015, 06:23 PM
I'll be hitting the Berry tomorrow 6-17. After the hammering the Gorge just took over the weekend with anglers working hard to catch only a few, I'll shift my trip. Give me a yell if your in the area, I'll monitor ch16 VHF. I'll be mainly on the Strawberry side.

COKEANEE
06-17-2015, 12:20 AM
Yeeeeehaaaaaaa

Bduck
06-17-2015, 09:26 PM
Got my one day binge out of the way fishing Strawberry today. Now it's time to get thru the hangover. Mainly fished Strawberry side. Caught 3 dinks to start with and then what little bite there was seemed to have shutdown all together. It took another hour before the bite started picking up again. As clockwork has it the 2pm wind scampered me to get off the water. The day turned out to be a good one catching wise. I ended up with 2 descent kokes in the box, lost another 4 between 2 1/2-3lbs with 1 that broke 3lbs easy at the back of the boat. The cutts wanted to play too. Brought 12 to the boat mostly 18"-20" slots.

BAGGEDLB7
06-18-2015, 06:07 PM
Sounds like a good day.

Bduck
06-19-2015, 10:16 AM
No complaints here, already planning next trip before swinging back towards the Gorge. What a great place to beat the heat. The furnace door is now open for the valley dwellers.

COKEANEE
06-23-2015, 10:22 PM
It amazes me how many people were fishing Strawberry on Monday. I was the third truck in the parking lot in the morning and when I left the parking lot was almost full. I didn't see that many boats though.

mtncat1
06-23-2015, 11:33 PM
It amazes me how many people were fishing Strawberry on Monday. I was the third truck in the parking lot in the morning and when I left the parking lot was almost full. I didn't see that many boats though.

its a real big lake if you can find parking usually you have plenty of space once your on the water. how did you do?

COKEANEE
06-23-2015, 11:43 PM
Very good, especially when we distanced ourselves from others. My kids had a ball. Still breaking RMT leaders though.

Bduck
06-25-2015, 10:17 AM
Still breaking RMT leaders though.

RMT sells a package of 10 leaders set up with a stinger hook. Where are your leaders breaking? If at the stinger hook, removing hook with pliers will cause that second hook to break off.

I made another trip to Strawberry yesterday 6-24. A slow day with a case of lockjaw. Caught 5 cutts to the boat and lost the only 2 kokes on self release at the back of boat. After talking to others, it sounded like Monday was the better day to be there. The wind came up early and blew me off of the water. There was a boat submerged at Strawberry marina. The fellas I talked to said they were having trouble with it taking on water.

Petty4life
06-25-2015, 02:20 PM
try some different leaders, there are several options here http://www.kokaneetackle.com/c-195-terminal-tackle.aspx

SuperD
06-25-2015, 04:17 PM
The only way to guarantee the quality of ones leaders is to start tying ones own. The average retail maker of Koke tackle does not build it to withstand Flaming Gorge specifications. It is not uncommon to buy Koke tackle from a company because you like the patterns and just swap out the leaders. The Gorge requires 12 pound to 14 pound leader and you just aren't going to find off the shelf tackle tied to that size line or a line that is of high quality.

Bduck
06-25-2015, 07:03 PM
I agree with making your own. I started doing it using some 15lb line I had left over from spooling up a couple reels. To help myself I received a gift from son a fly tying vise which is great for holding the hook. Burying the tip into vise keeps me from drawing blood from my fingers.

usemdw
06-26-2015, 11:54 AM
I agree with making your own. I started doing it using some 15lb line I had left over from spooling up a couple reels. To help myself I received a gift from son a fly tying vise which is great for holding the hook. Burying the tip into vise keeps me from drawing blood from my fingers.

I use the Christenson's Lakeshore tackle stuff and the leaders seem pretty heavy to me. I've never had a problem with them.

dubob
06-30-2015, 11:15 AM
Sooner or later, you WILL break off one or both hooks from those squid lures. That's why I have a Tackle Buddy Snell Holder in my box with a bunch of pre-made double hook leaders all set to change out. I also bought a hook vise to make the job of assembly pain free at home. thumbsup

SuperD
06-30-2015, 01:03 PM
Going to #2 hooks for places like Strawberry and the Gorge also helps save leaders. It can be hard to grab a #4 hook with a Tasmanian Devil hooked to it. A little bigger hook to aim at with the pliers can be a big help.

ReelMasta
06-30-2015, 07:44 PM
I've had some good success with RMT pink serpent spoons. Single hook that can not be destroyed by a Tasmanian devil. Bought some orange ones to try this week.

My cuddly buddy and I are headed up Wednesday night and give em a try Thursday morning bright and early launch at 5ish....