PDA

View Full Version : PIG frustration

Rooster
06-04-2015, 11:16 AM
Fished the pig last night. Marked tons of fish. Not a single bite. Not sure what I did wrong. Never had too hard of a time catching fish there, but never been able to do very good when the fish are 15' and shallower.

Might be going too fast, but I couldnt go any slower. How important is the slower speed this time of year? What is the most effective speed for early season kokes?

SuperD
06-04-2015, 11:51 AM
Read Jason's reports. He has been doing very well and posted his set ups and speeds.

http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/showthread.php?8718-the-Pig-4-21-15

Rooster
06-04-2015, 12:07 PM
Ya. Should have charged the electric and gone a little slower.....

Petty4life
06-04-2015, 12:24 PM
I had the slowest day of the year up there Monday. only 14 fish, fish are deep like 25-45ft speed has been 1.2 to 1.7

Rooster
06-04-2015, 12:52 PM
Well, I must have just missed the show entirely. I was like 15-20'. Marked some down that deep. Not many though. Most were shallower., but probably the younger ones.

Thanks for all the pointers!!!

Hopefully I will be there more this summer!

I am in an old brown Crestliner Superhawk. Hope to see you up there!

Rooster
06-05-2015, 11:38 AM
Well crap. My brother fished the PIG last night. I couldn't make it. He fished at all the above recommendations and only managed one koke.

Man this is frustrating!

Hopefully the skunk comes off soon.

Thanks again for the input.

Sliverslinger
06-16-2015, 05:24 PM
I fished the Pig on the 13th and found about the same results. I was surprised at the number of boats on the water. We only boated 4 kokes and 2 bows. 2 of the kokes were typicall Pig size of 10-12" and two were an inch or two larger. What surprised me was how few of fish we marked. We trolled all over and marked fewer kokes than ever before. I talked to a couple other boats that seemed to be seeing the same things were were. I realize that following the DWR's spring gill net survey it was noted that "...much of this improvement in size is due to the recent exit of a few massive year classes of kokanee in 2012 and 2013, leaving the present classes of fish more room and resources to grow..." I'm wondering if it is time to reduce the limits? Thoughts?

Sliverslinger

Bduck
06-16-2015, 06:14 PM
Welcome aboard Sliverslinger. As surveys have revealed more & more anglers are releasing their catches. While some do take their limits, it is encouraged for more anglers to take limits of different sizes to prevent over crowding and stunting of fish. With Porcupine it's a small lake and drains off rapidly during summer months making launching boats difficult. The Kokanee population is self sustaining and high populations competes for food creating smaller fish. Smaller population will give an opportunity to increase fish size. Personally I would like to see more Kokanee lakes throughout Utah.

SuperD
06-16-2015, 06:29 PM
Most DWR programs are reactionary and making decisions after the fact rather than guessing right occasionally. There are a run of years with too many fish and then low and behold, one year they have all disappeared. Sustained proper management just doesn't happen very often in my opinion. You hear about lakes that have a great program going on for a few years and then something unexplainable happens and it goes fubar.

Sliverslinger
06-19-2015, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the replies Bduck and SuperD. I too would like to see more Kokanee waters!!