PDA

View Full Version : Is Kokanee really THAT GOOD?

Tesoro
06-01-2015, 12:22 PM
Am new to this forum so thought I would post something to introduce myself. I grew up in Oregon fish hunt etc...Didnt have the bucks to buy a boat back then but I do remember my dad taking me kokanee fishing a few times at Crescent lake in a rental boat when I was a young teen but thats about it for my koke experience. And then I left Oregon for the Caribbean and came back home after a 25 yrs absence. So I got all toyed up and took off to enjoy the mountains lakes etc.

So last fall my wife and I were camped at Odell Lake - Shelter Cove fishing for rainbows off the shore. There were a small group of good ole boys camped there doing a late koke fish trip. So one afternoon they all came in loaded up and I went to chat with them at the fish cleaning table. We were all having a good time drinking beer and bs'ing while these guys were filleting away. I think I mentioned 4 times that had only fished for kokes when a kid and couldnt remember what they tasted like but I heard they are REAL TASTY...I think I even mentioned that I would sure like to try eating JUST ONE FISH. Now there were 4 guys there which means minimum of 96 fish were on the table excluding wife limits...the fillet piles were about the size of half basketballs...And nope NOONE offered me a measly fish! This was the last trip of the year for them before the fish spoiled from the spawn.

So I went back to camp and was sitting around the fire talking to my wife about all of this...I said you know thats the first time I have witnessed this..people always share and these guys were nice and one even invited me to elk hunt at his place..but no sharing of these fish! And to top it off they all have expensive boats, specialty gear and electronics all to catch some puny sized fish that wont even strip off line with no drag! Something is up I said to myself and I gotta find out! What an excuse to buy a boat if I ever heard one...ha

So yesterday we did it...went to Odell for the trial run..I had studied up on basic techniques and armed with a couple of koke rods & reels, scottys, electronics, lures, and of course a can of the right corn, we went fishing to catch OUR OWN friggin fish!

And then came the moment of truth when I dropped a fat koke rolled in cornmeal and spiced flour into sizzling coconut oil....And now I understand and forgive those guys!!!

SuperD
06-01-2015, 12:41 PM
Welcome! Some guys are just slow on the up take but glad you got some of your own. Or, maybe they were practicing the "give a man a fish vs. teach a man to fish" lesson?

rgarbar
06-01-2015, 12:48 PM
Next time try them teriyaki style on the grill!tooexcited80798080

Propnut69
06-01-2015, 02:07 PM
I'm not a big fish eater,but I do enjoy a slab of kokeanee now and again. I do like ,is that they can be cooked a variety of ways. Never had them cook in coconut oil,might have to give that a try. Blacked koke is about my favorite.

SuperD
06-01-2015, 02:14 PM
Koke salmon patties for my first choice. Cracker crumbs and fried, how does it get better than that?

Tesoro
06-01-2015, 11:29 PM
with a jack daniels higball and a camp fire

SilverBullets
06-02-2015, 07:59 PM
Yes... it's THAT GOOD!! 101cheers101
http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5284&d=1332102201

Bogey
06-02-2015, 08:11 PM
Man, I'll dreams about that pic tonight....thumbsup

Tesoro
06-02-2015, 08:32 PM
Caught a bunch of these pretty fish today out of 54 deg water8085....next week I am bringing my smoker up to camp!! I hope that tastes as good as it looks!!

SuperD
06-02-2015, 09:18 PM
One of my buddies is fishing Odell (fished today) and for the next couple of days. Him and his partner took 30 today in the bad weather with some heavy rains.

Tesoro
06-02-2015, 10:57 PM
I wouldnt say it was 'bad wx' but I was definitely not wearing my thong n flip flops ha...rained a bit but blue skies poked out some...cool wind. white capped a few times during squalls.

Bduck
06-04-2015, 08:15 PM
with a jack daniels higball and a camp fire

101cheers101 here here 101cheers101

BAGGEDLB7
06-09-2015, 05:54 PM
Had beer battered kokanee on Friday. I forgot how good beer battered salmon taste.tongue2

Tesoro
06-11-2015, 01:02 AM
with home made tartar sauce!

Tesoro
06-11-2015, 02:16 AM
8097Switched to blackened new yorks at camp tonite...for a change!

SuperD
06-11-2015, 10:10 AM
with home made tartar sauce!
Yep, that's a must!

Ed J
05-07-2017, 03:30 PM
The other half cooked up some we caught yesterday. I'm not a big fish eater unless it is in the form of fish and chips type of fish but this fish is good NO tartar sause needed and the best part the other half says just gut them lean the head and all on. Gotta love a woman like that.

F-Bomb
05-07-2017, 10:04 PM
Those selfish buggers must have worried that you would ruin their kokanee by accompanying it with that Jack Danials gunk! KACK.....

If the fish find out you put that stuff in your mouth they won't bite either!

Get some good REAL Kentucky Bourbon and live properly. Start with Buffalo Trace, Maker's 46, or Eagle Rare. (we absolutely know the fish are attracted to boats that have that on board)