PDA

View Full Version : Do colored hooks make a difference?

DLM
02-18-2015, 12:07 PM
We used to have a choice between red hooks and black hooks. Now many tackle makers and hook companies are offering a rainbow of colors on hooks. My question to our forum of perts and experts, in your experience does the color of the hook make a difference?movie89586

SuperD
02-18-2015, 01:19 PM
Only if the fish can see through the corn. LOL!

Physion
02-18-2015, 01:38 PM
If different colors convince more fishermen to buy more hooks, it does make a difference to the manufacturers. To the fish 30 feet deep? Probably not so much.

Phyison

SuperD
02-18-2015, 01:52 PM
If it weren't for the fact that we put stuff on our hooks for Kokanee, I absolutely think that color makes a difference, say for example, for rainbow trout. Having fished the Gorge for many years, I've learned that the color of maggots can make a difference. If I was fishing for a species with naked hooks, I could easily see where colored hooks could come into play. It just doesn't occur very often in our Koke fishing techniques.

mrmike
02-18-2015, 03:58 PM
If it weren't for the fact that we put stuff on our hooks for Kokanee, I absolutely think that color makes a difference, say for example, for rainbow trout. Having fished the Gorge for many years, I've learned that the color of maggots can make a difference. If I was fishing for a species with naked hooks, I could easily see where colored hooks could come into play. It just doesn't occur very often in our Koke fishing techniques.

Ive used gamo hooks for a lot of years before I found Sickle Hooks.My personnel experience yes. When the state went to barbless I stayed with the colored Gamo I had such good results with kokanee sticking. I went with the bigger Gamo for Springers and hadvery good results with no fish lost due to being barbless. I use only the hot pink and white for kokanee.

SuperDaveMT
02-24-2015, 11:41 AM
After a suggestion I read here, I quit baiting my rear hook, and my hook to catch rate seemed to improve. It might make sense to use a colored hook for the trailing hook. I'll have to rig some different colors and see if it makes a difference this year. Any concensus on baiting or bare for the rear hook?

SuperD
02-24-2015, 11:54 AM
I can see the theory in only baiting the front hook so that the fish go past the back hook on the strike. If I felt like I was getting a lot of short strikes on a given day it might be something to try but I'm a both hook corn / maggot guy.

terek
02-24-2015, 03:04 PM
I had a friend fish with me last year, and he almost had a heart attack when he saw me baiting the back hook. He said "never do that bro, you wont catch anything" I never really had a problem catching, but he has many more years on me, so I took his word for it. It almost seemed like my bite rate wend down a little, but I have a tiny bit better hooking rate. Not much of a difference, so I met him half way. I now put one corn in the front and one corn on the back. Still haven't seen any real difference. The fact is, they really are not trying to "eat" the bait, they are trying to kill it. The corn just holds the scent. You are basically "snagging" them in the mouth. But, routines and superstitions are the back bone of fishing. When its slow, i still stomp my feet and yell "I wanna catch a fish NOW!!!" Kind of a little temper tantrum, and I always seem to hook up shortly after laugh hyst

LesB
04-23-2015, 01:52 PM
Purely from empirical observation (no focused research) I think there is a difference with colored hooks. I first noticed it when jigging. There is a shop in Oakridge, OR (Burt's) that sells gold colored treble hooks with various colors of acrylic on the shank and they seem to work much better than the standard gray hooks that come on most jigs. (last time there he said he was having trouble getting the gold treble hooks) I have also used red hooks and they seem to work better but not as good as Burt's. For trolling I have had good results with Father Murphy's lures with colored hooks but when I retied them with plain or red hooks they don't seem to work as well. I usually tie all my other
Now if I could just figure out which color is the best of the best?

Over the past 30+ years there has been a constant evolution of gear used for Kokes. Many years ago you had to use a specific smelly jelly (shrimp anise) on your gear or you only got about half as many fish as those people using it. Now I don't know of anyone still using smelly jelly for Kokes....it was messy and damaged the finish of your gear too. Shelter Cove store at Odell seems to have something new every year or so....and it usually works.