PDA

View Full Version : Can't hold trolling speed

AFDan52
02-01-2015, 02:15 PM
Hi guys, I was out fishing this past friday at Bear Lake , with Petty4life. we tried trolling for a while but my 1999 Yamaha F9.9 kicker would not co-operate. The motor runs alright at first but after it has run for a bit and we have set our trolling speed , the speed starts to loose rpm bleed off and we have to keep playing with the throttle to keep it going. I'm hoping that some of you might have an idea. I'm wondering if I need to clean the carb.

Thanks all for help bandmyhead

mrmike
02-01-2015, 02:28 PM
Clogged jet in carb had the same problem same my kickermotor

downriggeral
02-01-2015, 04:14 PM
Could be a cracked primer bulb or a bad fuel line. Do you treat your fuel? Every drop? I've been using Evinrude 2 plus 4 for years; no carb problems....ever.

Kokaholic
02-01-2015, 11:06 PM
Sorry to hear about your motor not cooperating Dan, however, did you guys do any good fishing?

carlz
02-01-2015, 11:29 PM
Before you start tearing things down, one simple check is loosen your gas cap to see if the tank is venting. if drawing a vacuum, it could cause those symptoms.

good luck

AFDan52
02-02-2015, 12:16 AM
Hi Mark, Jason caught a nice 8-lb. mack . But that was all of the action we had all day.

downriggeral
02-02-2015, 02:07 AM
Also forgot to mention mine was doing that and I found a loose clamp on the primer bulb. Easy fix, always look at the easy stuff first. I tend to go to the hard stuff first and must always remind myself to ck the basics before tearing something down only to discover it was simple all along. Alan

Bduck
02-02-2015, 10:03 AM
After doing the previous mentioned and nothing indicates a fix yet, be suspicious of the ethanol gas. Previous conversations say you were switching over but that doesn't eliminate the potential shellacking or fuel line damage that might have been done.

AFDan52
02-06-2015, 05:39 PM
Ok guys , I've been spending some time working on my Kicker to try to figure out the problem with the trolling speed. I think I've found the problem. After reading up in the Factory Manual that I have I did a lot of checking and foud a few things that needed adjusting. The Throttle connector and Shift connector were way too tight , which would explain why I always had such a high idle when it was first started. As for the main reason that I was working on the motor, I shot some carb cleaner into the carb while it was running and also loosened the cap on the tank and it has been running just fine and I can set my trolling speed again. So I'm going to get an aftermarket tank vent and fix that.

AFDan52
02-19-2015, 09:59 PM
Hi Guys , well I've been putting in some time on my kicker motor to try to solve the trolling speed problem. I checked the t-stat just to be sure that it was working , it was covered in some sort of crud. I cleaned it and the housing, boiled it worked just fine. replaced it . Tested the Electrothermal Valve and it was fine also. Last resort was to clean out the carb and check it out. Dipped it in cleaner for a couple of hours and now it seems to be running just like new . Could be that I was using last years fuel , I also had not removed the fuel line from the motor to burn out what was left in the carb. So I take some of the blame here. Anyway the motor has been run everyday since Monday for about 30 minutes each day and seems to be just fine. I still need to get it out in the water to run it properly. I am also going to check the RPM's to make sure the motor is idling at the right rpm.

Kokaholic
02-19-2015, 11:20 PM
Dan, Each time im on the water and run my kicker, I ALWAYS unplug my fuel line and run the kicker until it just flat runs dry on fuel and shuts off on its on. Like you said, "my bad" but i think that if you do that at the end of each trip while your pulling rods and riggers, that will help in old fuel hardening in there. Glad you have figured things out. hope your next trip out proves to be a great one.

SuperD
02-20-2015, 09:57 AM
I don't know how much Dan gets to fish but even running the motor to stall hasn't helped me from having regular carb problems with my Yamaha. What I tried at the start of this Winter was to remove the carb bowl screw at the bottom of the carb to drain all the gas. I've always suspected the running the motor to stall didn't get rid of all the gas and it just takes a few drops to shellac and plug a jet. When EFI kickers start coming out, I'm in for one.

Physion
02-20-2015, 01:43 PM
I use non ethanol fuel, a fuel stabilizer, carbon guard or yamaha ring free, run the motor at full throttle for several minutes at the end of the trip, and then pull the fuel line and run it dry. The process won't cure all your carburetor problems, but it will postpone them for a while. I use the same process for my old 2-stroke Evinrude and my new 4-stroke Honda.

Physion

mrmike
02-20-2015, 01:46 PM
Super D I have owned my Yamaha 9.9 for 4 year.I have had only one incident something in the jet couldn't get my kicker to idle under 2 miles per hour.I've since only use only non ethanol fuel and add an additive. I also attempted to top off the fuel when done fishing for the day as these aluminum fuel tanks form condonation.I have adsolutely no incidents with my kicker in 3 yes and I didn't disconnect my fuel line to the kicker for the winter storage and have no issues.I hope this helps.

Kokaholic
02-20-2015, 04:38 PM
I to use non ethanol, fuel additive and have no problems.

mtncat1
02-21-2015, 10:15 PM
i only use ethanol fuel no additives and never drain or run the engine dry and i've never had any carb problems, so things like that are sometimes up to fate but most of these type of problem can be avoided be using fuel stabilizer and changing fuel filter every couple of years. i used to run my snowmobile carbs dry and had a lot of problems with sediment deposits. just my 2 cents.

AFDan52
03-01-2015, 04:02 PM
I was just outside cleaning my boat up a little , I got to the stearn and was wiping down my kicker motor and was looking at the angle pin adjustments . So I'm wondering if I was to change the angle of thrust from my Kicker motor up a little , would that maybe slow my speed down enough? Any thoughts?101smily101

SuperD
03-01-2015, 04:22 PM
So I'm wondering if I was to change the angle of thrust from my Kicker motor up a little , would that maybe slow my speed down enough? Any thoughts?101smily101
My thought, no. I've been in a situation where I trolled faster than I wanted to and resorted to putting a dead near flat pitch prop on and it only slowed me down a couple of /10's. How much are you trying get squeeze out of it?

AFDan52
03-01-2015, 04:43 PM
Hi Dave , I want to be about 1.5-1.7 mph there about. I 'd like to drop at least 1 mph.