PDA

View Full Version : Verado Questions

CGOOSE
01-18-2015, 08:59 PM
Hello fellow fisherman or women, I have a question about Mercury Verado's now before I ask it please please please understand I am not trying to start a which motor is better argument. I have ordered a new boat and it is set to begin production and I have until the end of the month (Jan 2015) to solidify which power plant I want hanging on the back. I have picked a Verado 250 due to living in Utah and 85% if my fishing is at 6000 ft in elevation and above and this motor supposedly compensates for that with the supercharger. Since then I have been getting quite a bit of pressure to go with Yamaha, for some insight I currently own a boat with a Mercury and have not had any issues I have also owned a Yamaha and really enjoyed that motor as well. Just wondering if any of you that have these Verado motors might chime in and let me know if there is anything I should be aware of. Thanks

Jared

MackayGuy
01-19-2015, 07:02 AM
CGOOSE --- welcome to the forum. I have had a verado for 5 years and got it for the same reason you are talking about, which is the power loss of naturally aspirated engines at higher elevations. Here's my thoughts after years of ownership....(and do seriously consider the Yamaha.....I hear the new Yamahas are also really nice.)
Pros:
- Minimal HP loss at higher elevations due to the supercharger.
- Quiet! In operation it is very quiet, comparatively.
- Power steering is a real plus (but see comments in the Cons)
- Digital throttle and electronic shift
- Almost no vibration on the Vrod 6 cylinder models. They engineered a really nice mount for the bigger HP Vrods.
- Smartcraft gauges are very nice, optional
Cons:
- Heavy, compared to some of the newer 2 strokes out there now.
- The power steering likes batteries if you are using a kicker tied to the Verado. The kicker uses the Vrod power steering (electronic) but a kicker doesn't put out enough charge to make up for the power steering amperage draw. Not a great design by Mercury, but it works. I've run my kicker with the Vrod power steering all day and it does draw down the battery, but with a good AGM battery it's not a big issue.
- Depending on where you live, finding a good certified Vrod mechanic can be a problem. Don't let just anyone work on the Vrod. (I assume this is true for any brand engine)

That said....I didn't put cost in either category as I assume any new 250 is going to be fairly spendy with any brand. Also, the 2 vs. 4 stroke debate is a personal decision. Sounds like you're going down the 4 stroke path. Cost of maintenance is a push with other brands. Lots of folks say the Vrod is more expensive to maintain. I don't find that to be true. I've had one problem with mine in 5 years and that was oil seepage around the seal of one of the trim/tilt rams. The dealer replaced it under warranty. Seriously I don't think you can go wrong with either engine. I do know I messed around with changing props when fishing at different elevations and with the Vrod I never think about it anymore.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

downriggeral
01-19-2015, 12:04 PM
I won't raise the which is better question but I would raise the long term question if you keep the boat for a long time. LOTS of parts to wear and give trouble in the long term. One brand makes a 250 HO option that has extra performance starting out and even de-rated at elevation will give the performance you are looking for. All of that said you still need a dealer within reach to provide service. Just my thoughts - Alan

PS I have an aviation background and understand why the supercharger is nice at elevation.

CGOOSE
01-19-2015, 08:24 PM
Thank you both for the input, downriggeral I appreciate you bringing up the service aspect that was something that I looked into on both Mercury and Yamaha's website. If the information provided from the two websites is correct there seems to be a couple Verado certified mechanics around me but on Yamaha's website I can find dealers but they are listed mostly just for oils and lube it doesn't show any that are certified Yamaha mechanics (can't remember the different names it has for all the different levels). Man I thought this buying a new boat stuff was supposed to be fun now I'm just scared to make the wrong choice. MacKayGuy I had heard about the battery issue with the steering so I have been looking into different options to steer and not tie the two together, sounds like if I invest in the right battery that may still be an option. You guys are awesome, thank you

bernie keefe
01-22-2015, 10:59 PM
I could not agree with Mackay Guy more. I have been running the 150 Verado for 5 years and would not change motors for anything. I run mine at 8000' and love the power. The acceleration is unbelievable. When you first drive a Verado make sure to be very careful. You almost need to relearn how to run these. They are very nice.
The wind noise is more then the motor noise at high speeds. It is a very quiet motor in idle as well as on plane.
The digital throttle is very smooth, its like comparing a sports car to a pick up.
The electronic shift is very smooth, no grinding gears ever.
IMO the smart craft gauges are necessary, it taught me how to run my motor for the best fuel economy and it enables me to run my big motor at less then idle speed. This helps me troll down to 1.7 mph.
I can't be happier with my Verado, being a fishing guide in Granby Colorado I live in my boat from May through November, never had a problem.

CGOOSE
01-24-2015, 01:01 PM
Thanks Bernie, I appreciate the input. This is what I was hoping for just good or bad input from others and not a mines better than yours. Still a 2-3 months away until I can get the boat and just fish and quit worrying about it. thumbsup

Petty4life
01-26-2015, 03:18 PM
Thanks Bernie, I appreciate the input. This is what I was hoping for just good or bad input from others and not a mines better than yours. Still a 2-3 months away until I can get the boat and just fish and quit worrying about it. thumbsup

CGOOSE I better get a ride in that new boat. LOLthumbsup

CGOOSE
02-01-2015, 01:38 PM
Absolutely you'll get a ride, we might have to paddle though. Still talking motor configurations with the dealer and they are not be very cooperative it's making me nervous.

CGOOSE
03-31-2015, 09:28 PM
Well after waiting for what seemed an eternity, ok only really since August when I officially made the order my new toy finally came in. I appreciate the input that I received from you guys on this forum and now have the task of getting everything rigged up. I ended up sticking with the Mercury Verado 250 with a 9.9 prokicker, only had the option to pick between Yamaha and Merc with the dealer that I have been working with and decided since 80% of my time will be above 6,000 feet in elevation to keep the Merc. I now get to spend all weekend running my electronics, downriggers, and other fun accessories. I am really torn on what remote steering system to go with for the kicker would like the tr-1 but don't think I would really use it for more than just turning left and right so it seems over kill if I don't utilize all its functions. Anyway thanks for all the input, I will try posting some photos so hope they work just remember she's totally stripped down at the moment she's brand new. Can't wait to take her outthumbsup

SuperD
03-31-2015, 09:55 PM
BEAUTIFUL! You are going to have to pinch yourself all season long to make sure you aren't dreaming.

Bogey
03-31-2015, 10:34 PM
I can't open the link?

CGOOSE
04-01-2015, 02:53 PM
Sorry Bogey I was afraid it might not work, when I have a minute I will see if I can change it up or maybe Petty can give me a hand. Thanks

Bogey
04-01-2015, 03:51 PM
Great! We all love to look at guys new toys and share the joy with them!!!

CGOOSE
04-01-2015, 09:34 PM
I think I got it fixed, let me know. It sounds like you were able to see them before SuperD, thank you for the compliment I am pretty stoked. I think there's quite a few of you guys up here in Northern Utah that aren't very far from me it would be great to get together sometime if anyone is interested. Thanks

MackayGuy
04-01-2015, 10:07 PM
Oh yeah! Nice boat! What's the length?

CGOOSE
04-03-2015, 09:04 PM
Thanks MackayGuy, it's 20 feet or 22'6" if you include the bracket. I've spent most of the day mounting up the goodies but still got more stuff to buy. How did I ever decide to get such a spendy little hobby.