PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for electric Trolling

carlz
01-16-2015, 01:52 PM
I have a 20' hewes sportsman and am considering adding a bow mounted electric trolling motor, currently go motion supplied by 130 Honda jet and 9.9 kicker. Being a complete newbie to this arena, what would be suggested? Input as to motor/ batteries/ auto nav would be appreciated.

thanks

Carl

mrmike
01-16-2015, 07:24 PM
Last year added 101 mincota 36 volt system bow mounted full auto pilot love it . my boat is a guide model 21 ft.smart move

Kokaholic
01-18-2015, 09:38 AM
A 24 volt, 60" shaft Minnkota rip tide or Terrova would be great. Consider if you will be in salty water or fresh, Terrova for fresh, riptide for salt. Also go with the I -pilot. On board two bank charger to plug in at night. All of this will work great for what you have.

SuperD
01-18-2015, 12:13 PM
A 24 volt, 60" shaft Minnkota rip tide or Terrova would be great. Consider if you will be in salty water or fresh, Terrova for fresh, riptide for salt. Also go with the I -pilot. On board two bank charger to plug in at night. All of this will work great for what you have.
+1
However, there are enough alkaline lakes around that I vote for the Rip Tide for all uses. A 70 to 80 lbs thrust will be plenty of power. 101 with extra weight and maintenance of a third battery is overkill IMO unless you plan on using it in current.

mrmike
01-18-2015, 01:31 PM
The reason I choose the 101 was from the research I done everyone that was using the 80 wasn't happy with not enough power. 20 ft sled equipment ,tackle,people a lot of weight and then weather wind etc,again it depends what your going to do with your boat.I can tell you from personnel use haven't worn my battery down yet with 2 days on my system.I fish for multi species of fish and the electric is one of my best investment to up grade my sled.good luck on your choice.

SuperD
01-18-2015, 07:41 PM
mrmike, do you have a kicker?

mrmike
01-18-2015, 07:50 PM
Yamaha 9.9 long shaft elc start/elc power tilt.I purchased it in 2012/2013 not sure.I use my elc for Kokanee / for steelhead /e
Egg fishing rivers for Chinook on Diamond lake for trout really open my horizon even for wayalle and bass on the CR.It always nice to have more power than less

DLM
01-19-2015, 10:48 AM
I love my terrova, no complaints at all. I can't speak to the power questions as I use mine almost 100% for steering with a little prop turn when the wind dictates or I need to turn in a hurry. Batteries last 4 days without a charge using this method.

Mharri333
01-23-2015, 06:24 PM
Carl,

On my boat (19.5ft ) I have a 9.9 kicker and 80 Terrova with I-Pilot. I use the Terrova almost every time I am in the boat unless I am in saltwater. It is one of the best investments you can make for a boat, in my opinion. I would never get a trolling motor without the autopilot. It makes the fishing a heck of a lot more relaxing and allows you to get more done in the boat. I also have the TR-1 on my kicker. There is no comparison. The TR-1 isn't anywhere near as advanced or as accurate as the Terrova. As far as the size... I had an issue with mine (an 80) blowing a fuse under power going into the wind initially. There is a part that can be added for about 30 bucks that takes care of that. If you have the storage for an extra battery, I would go to the 36volt. I can usually get through a whole day of fishing on my 24 volt but multiple days or deep fishing can be a drain. You can never have too much battery power. That has to be balanced with the amount of space the extra battery will take up though due to loss of storage.

Whichever size you go with make sure you get the autopilot. You won't regret it for a minute. As a side note, you can use the kicker for push and the electric for steering. Sure nice to just go electric and have some peace and quiet. Good luck with your purchase. Let us know how it goes.

carlz
01-23-2015, 11:57 PM
Gentlemen, Thank you one and all for the advice, and I am afraid I have a silly question, have any of you had problems with GPS lock on you I pilot when fishing on lakes in deep canyons? Or rather next to steep tall banks. Specifically for those who know it, Lake Merwin in WA.