PDA

View Full Version : East Twin - 8-24-14

captiva
08-25-2014, 09:58 AM
I trolled East Twin from the kayak today with flashers and wedding rings.

I caught 3 kokes - each 14". I had some other hits as well. I've read in many books that the kokes have soft mouths, and experienced it directly when the hook literally ripped the mouth of the kokanee through the jaw after I got it into the boat. I bet that accounts for many kokes lost next to the boat.

The kokes were cruising at 30', about 10' below the trout, which seemed to be holding in 20' according to my marks.

It was a pretty solid bite until the water skiers and jet skies started to show up around 2 pm . . . . that killed the bite and seemed to scatter the kokes - I stopped getting big marks in the afternoon.

The fish haven't started to turn yet or at least didn't have any red in them. They pretty much looked like the kokanee I caught during the spring of 2013.

My goal was to catch and release a 17" salmon, which qualifies for a CT trophy fish award . . . . I was about three inches shy, but plan on making one more trip in two weeks!

These were my first kokanee salmon of 2014, and I was really stoked. They are such a beautiful fish and change of pace from the other salmonoids. I'm always amazed to see them because they are so different. Although the kokes are a little smaller than I'd like, they are a challenging fishery to learn and it is really rewarding to catch one, especially considering that only about 4 lakes on the east coast have them! It is a nice niche fishery and CT does a nice job with it.

Catching the koke also marked the year that I've caught the most species of salmonoids - this season I've caught landlocked Atlantic salmon, kokanee, lake trout, splake, brown trout, rainbow trout, and brook trout.

I will try to post some pics later.

Trout Tracker
08-25-2014, 07:39 PM
Most of the fish I have caught there have shown signs of changing for the past few weeks already.