PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 150 fuel line?

SuperD
08-20-2014, 12:59 PM
My Yamaha 150 is a 2004. I'm in the process of replacing the fuel line from the fuel/water separator to the bulb and from the bulb to the face of the cowling. New regulations require braided fuel line so that is what I have gotten for the job. When I remove the cowling, there is some of the old fuel line that runs to the fuel filter and then from the fuel filter to the fuel pump. I have 2 questions for other Yamaha 150 owners:

1) What size fuel line do you have running to your 150?
2) Have you replaced fuel line under the cowling? Should I?

agitator
08-20-2014, 01:40 PM
Find out what the smallest fitting is and thats the size line you use . It does no good to go with bigger line . Waste of money .

SuperD
08-20-2014, 02:15 PM
I asked a guy on the phone and he thought 3/8" and it currently has 5/16". I don't want to be starving it for fuel.

Bduck
08-20-2014, 07:58 PM
Dave, I'm with Craig on this. You won't be starving your motor. Using 3/8 hose on a 5/16 fitting & system that your not changing changes pressure up keep coming from your fuel pump. Your fuel pump has that primary function of maintaining a certain fuel pressure. By using 5/16 for full length from the tank, your fuel pump maintains that critical pressure. There are upgrade pumps ($$$$$$$$$) to deliver more fuel if your still skeptic about it. Take a measurement of the ID of the old hose being removed and stay with that. Braided hose is a plus as far as safety goes. A lot of boat fires occur with non-braid lines rupturing. It's well worth the expense.

SuperD
08-20-2014, 11:02 PM
What I've been wrestling guys is Yamaha direction to use a size that isn't consistent with a size that a cheap arse dealer originally installed. Being wrong because they were wrong hasn't settled in with me yet.

berrykoka
08-21-2014, 12:28 AM
My Yamaha 150 is a 2004. I'm in the process of replacing the fuel line from the fuel/water separator to the bulb and from the bulb to the face of the cowling. New regulations require braided fuel line so that is what I have gotten for the job. When I remove the cowling, there is some of the old fuel line that runs to the fuel filter and then from the fuel filter to the fuel pump. I have 2 questions for other Yamaha 150 owners:

1) What size fuel line do you have running to your 150?
2) Have you replaced fuel line under the cowling? Should I?

"Usually" anything above 40 or 50 hour power you'll find 3/8" cg approved Type B fuel line on an outboard. (Type A for a sterndrive) If you're buying new lines they should also be rated for ethanol fuel.
I feel bad that I'm not familiar with the braided regulation? I'm from Utah, is this for another state??

I have a 2004 F150 as well. We just bought this boat a few months ago so I'll have to go check what size it is tomorrow.

As far as replacing the lines under the cowling… You can take a clean rag and rub the outside of your lines. Then smell the rag. If the rag smells like gas, then you should replace them.

I hope that helps SuperD

agitator
08-21-2014, 07:44 AM
What I've been wrestling guys is Yamaha direction to use a size that isn't consistent with a size that a cheap arse dealer originally installed. Being wrong because they were wrong hasn't settled in with me yet.

Dave ........ go beyound marine app. if you go with a aircraft or race app you will be happy happy happy . But you need to be carefull the fuel line on the out side of the boat needs to be UV protected .

SuperD
08-21-2014, 11:33 AM
$100 later, everything is back together. Being that my boat is outside in the elements 24/7/365, I need to make something to lay over the back of the offshore bracket when the boat is in storage so that the UV isn't eating up my bulbs and hoses.

MackayGuy
08-21-2014, 12:31 PM
I put some of the split cable sheathing over my hydraulic steering lines and fuel lines to protect from UV.

berrykoka
08-22-2014, 03:50 PM
Checked my f150 fuel lines and they are 3/8" like I thought.

Sounds like you've got it all buttoned up and working.

Still wondering about this braided line reg?? You should just need Coast guard approved type b. Can you please reply superD and let me know what the deal is with that?!
I've worked in the marine business for 20 years in slc and want to make sure I'm not missing something.
Thank you sir

SuperD
08-22-2014, 03:58 PM
This is for CA, berrykoka. There is a whole list of things but I think it was part of the CARB requirements along with low permeability. CARB stands for California Air Resources Board.

berrykoka
08-22-2014, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the reply, I know of CARB and the low perm regs but never heard of the braided line regs. Thanks again

SuperD
08-22-2014, 04:35 PM
And in case there was confusion in semantics, I was talking about cord reinforced tubing and not metal braid line.