PDA

View Full Version : Loose handle

AFDan52
08-09-2014, 01:21 PM
Hi all, hey one of my favorite fishing rods has a very loose handle , makes it hard to reel in the line . Any ideas on a fix?
Thanks in advance for any help.

sawtooth
08-09-2014, 02:02 PM
Are you talking about the reel seat or the cork grip above or below the reel seat? Two part 5 minute epoxy should do the trick. If it is the bottom cork grip that is loose, see if you can pull it completely off and then reattach using epoxy the full length of the grip.

AFDan52
08-09-2014, 02:18 PM
It's the cork grip below the reel seat, I'll try the epoxy . Thanks sawtooth

sawtooth
08-09-2014, 03:15 PM
If it is loose enough that you can slide it completely off and then sand off most of the old epoxy before putting new epoxy on the full length of the grip, it should be "bomb proof". Make sure to have some denatured alcohol and paper towels ready for cleanup of excess epoxy. Also have some masking tape ready to hold it in place while it is drying. Without the tape, air pressure could cause the grip to push itself down off the end of the blank. Don't ask me how I know this. :)

SuperD
08-11-2014, 09:21 PM
Rod blanks are tapered with the butt section grip sliding on from the top, so no removal without taking off all the eyes, upper grip and reel seat.

sawtooth
08-12-2014, 12:23 AM
Well aware of the rods taper and how rods are built. If grip has been spinning for some time, the old adhesive will have acted like sandpaper and enlarged the hole on the inside of the cork. If the taper is not real severe, as is the case with most of the noodle rods used in koke fishing, he could reuse the cork as described below. Not the best fix, but an inexpensive, usable fix. The best fix is to cut the cork off, buy a graphite grip kit that fits his reel seat from Batson Enterprise or Mudhole and epoxy that on in place of the cork.

SuperD
08-12-2014, 09:55 AM
If the grip has become that sloppy, buy a new rod.