PDA

View Full Version : Strawberry 7/10

stan55
07-15-2014, 12:06 AM
Had to try out some of the koke flies I've been tying so headed to the Berry. On the water about 7, limit of kokes in the boat by 10:30 plus the usual assortment of cutts and one nice rainbow. Had a few come unbuttoned on the way to the boat as well. Caught the trout on an orange/pink marabou jig but the kokes came on a pink Apex tipped with pink maggots. Just had a hunch about the Apex and the fly was working as well so I never changed my setups. RMT Fusion dodgers lures 10" to 12" back with fly 20" back with the Apex trolling at 1.5 to 2 mph 30 to 35ft down 90 feet depths. Fished straight out from marina on the east shore side. Nice size as well the 4 fish total weighed over 9lbs. No pics sorry don't take my cellphone out on the water for obvious reasons and I left my camera at home.

Bduck
07-15-2014, 08:51 AM
No pics 101noway101

berrykoka
07-16-2014, 05:08 PM
We fished the same day… caught a million cutts but no kokes. Sounds like you we're in the magic spot?? Nice work! Although…. Pics would be nice.

stan55
07-17-2014, 02:34 AM
I wish I had brought the camera. Thought about taking them home without cleaning them for pics but didn't. Would have to deal with the stink in my garbage can for the rest of the summer. The biggest Kokes I've seen out of the Berry. One at 18" another at 19" the last two at 20" and they were thick. Put them in a plastic bag and had my scale read 9.2 lbs and that scale has been fairly accurate in past. Two other parties that had been fishing in the area were also at the cleaning station with similar sized Kokes. They were fishing either pink or green squids behind RMT dodgers. I tried fishing deeper for big cutts after catching the Kokes but the biggest I managed was 21". I have found fishing 50 to 60ft deep in that area will produce a cutt or two over the slot but not that day.

jekern1015
07-17-2014, 10:11 AM
When I have taken fish home to clean, I throw everything in the freezer until trash day. I now have a somewhat of a filet knife on board the boat so I can never forget to bring it. I try to keep my camera next to my fishfinder to help in not forgetting it, but I'd be lying if I said I never forgot them both as well. I am hoping to get up there this weekend and get some fishing in. There is an annual disable vets fishing event going on on Aug 2 up at strawberry on the soldier creek side, are you interested in taking a couple of vets out fishing.

stan55
07-17-2014, 11:03 PM
would like to but out of the state that weekend for my spouse's family reunion. that got planned a year ago and it is a "must do and don't even think of fishing that weekend" thing.