PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Downrigger Stacking Techniques for Kokanee

washingtonlakes
07-06-2014, 10:03 AM
Here's a video JoAnn and I just did on Merwin lake, showing the "Shower Curtain Clip Stacking Technique" or whatever you want to call it.

I forgot to mention in the video, another neat benefit of the stacker system we're showing is that you can also use it to make adjustments to your shallow line without moving your deep line. So let's say you see a fresh group of fish ten feet up from your stacked line, but you don't want to move your deep line. With this stacking system you can reel up and down along the cable without disturbing the deeper line. Often you'll see your stacked line on the depthfinder so you'll know exactly where it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKNuxjBZ79I&list=UUj--Ed_ChBO2bECVZZOCIOw

SuperD
07-06-2014, 11:59 AM
Very nice video. Now we all just have to pitch in to get you off the wind socks.

dragonfly
07-06-2014, 12:12 PM
good idea. thumbsup that would be a great alternative especially for manual downriggers. when we are stacking we use chamberlains but if our top line goes off and I don't want to reel up I will send down a shuttle hawk and if it releases it comes back to the top ready to reload but by then if the bottom still hasn't caught any thing it is time to change it out for something different, no use dragging something some thing the fish aren't interested in. dfly

SuperD
07-06-2014, 12:57 PM
Do you ever use the snap in the belly of the fishing line stack method? A second, "cheater" line can be run down the main line of your mono and it will only sink to the bell in the line or approx. half way down.

trollmonkey
07-06-2014, 05:48 PM
Great idea , I buy the Scotty Mini four pack outrigger releases and add cable to make my releases. the four pack come with the shower curtain clips ,so next trip out I'm going to try a 3oz wt. and set stacks. I really like the shuttle hawk but the plastic stop won't go trough the cable guide on my Penn riggers. Washingtonlakes setup looks more efficient and adjustable. TM

dragonfly
07-06-2014, 06:27 PM
TM I never used the shuttle hawk stops, you can see them on the fish finder and stop where ever I want, but when stacking with ether pincher clips or chamberlains, they become your stops. ether way it saves from pulling up in a productive bite. dfly

washingtonlakes
07-06-2014, 08:25 PM
LOL, my kicker was giving me issues that day. In a future video I'll show a simple way to make a downrigger clip for under a buck that works just as well as the store bought which are now running around $8.
I've never tried the snap in the belly of the fishing line stack method, not really visualizing it...

SilverBullets
07-06-2014, 09:57 PM
LOL, my kicker was giving me issues that day. In a future video I'll show a simple way to make a downrigger clip for under a buck that works just as well as the store bought which are now running around $8.
I've never tried the snap in the belly of the fishing line stack method, not really visualizing it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOhpVLnFX68

washingtonlakes
07-06-2014, 10:07 PM
Thanks for posting that technique. I think the sliding shower curtain clips is more exact and flexible. Does show there's more than one way to get the job done.

SuperD
07-06-2014, 11:19 PM
Or, shows that you can stack off each of your stacker lines if you used both systems in tandem.

washingtonlakes
07-06-2014, 11:31 PM
So eight lines trailing? Yikes!