PDA

View Full Version : Please help: Need guidance on Bow Mount troller for my 16'6" Smoker Craft Pro Lodge

KokeRook
07-01-2014, 03:32 PM

Hello All,
looking for some input on Bow mount Trolling motor. Attached is a picture of my new (this year) 16'6" Smoker craft Pro Lodge. This boat has been VERY fishy this year on my home lake (American lake, Western WA).

As you can see I have a transom mount electric troller that I moved from my previous boat. It is getting the job done (50lb thrust). At max it will push the new boat near 3mph. Generally run at 40-50% for the 1-1.5mph trolling speed.

I would really like to add a Bow mount for next season as constantly having to steer and correct on windy days gets a bit annoying. Very intrigued by the Minkota that will keep it on course, weather in wind or not. Will follow a saved trolling path, etc. I don't need the one that connects to sonar.

My question is:
How much thrust is needed? Like stated above the 50lb transom works (group 29 ac delco will get me 6hrs or more on light wind days...I carry a group 24 spare if I want to go more).

Does a bow mount thrust equal the same as the transom mount? In other words, is it easier for the motor to pull or push the boat and thus require more thrust and JUICE to accomplish the same thing?
Also, Does the I pilot draw a lot more power?

If a 50-55lb will do fine I can stay with 12 volt. Looks like if I need to go up in power I will need to go 24volt. I'm a bit concerned about carrying 2 batteries in the bow and what that extra weight will do.

Sorry if this came out confusing.

Any help/guidance/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

SuperD
07-01-2014, 03:49 PM
Your boat appears to be pretty low profile and a 55 lbs bow mount should be plenty for that boat. Pulling the boat is easier that pushing and you will have a lot more control. Think about adding a second battery inline with your current battery and an 2 bank onboard charger. You will have plenty of juice and an easy way to recharge when you get home. Can we get a better picture of your bow area to see how complicated the mount will be? The extra weight of the second battery in the bow should actually help you.

SilverBullets
07-01-2014, 04:26 PM
I just got the Powerdrive V2 55lb thrust with I-Pilot... mounted it on the bow of the 15' Smokercraft Alaskan. Only used it a couple times so far and just starting to use a few of the features. Seems to have plenty of power and the spot lock is awesome for jigging... no more pulling up a anchor!! thumbsup Being that we only use the motor for jigging we haven't ran the battery down yet so not sure how long it will last (Trojan with a 115 amp hour capacity.)

KokeRook
07-01-2014, 06:02 PM
Super D...Here is a picture that I think will show you what you are asking for. This is not MY boat...but one from the SC site.

I have seen others mounted on pro lodges (has a platform in front bow flush with top of gunnel. While it is not super high....it has 24" internal depth if that helps at all. I figure loaded, with gear and my copious back side, It is weighing near 1600# (just figuring in my head)

Here are the base specs if this helps:

ax Horsepower (hp) 60
Fuel Capacity (gal) 12
Boat Length 16' 6"
Beam (in) 82
Dry Weight (lbs) 720
Max Persons 6
Max Capacity (lbs) 1,300
Interior Depth (in) 24
Transom Height (in) 20
Transom Width (in) 79
Deadrise at Transom (deg) 10

SuperD
07-01-2014, 06:14 PM
Sweet! That looks like mounting will be a snap and there is a hatch for potential battery storage.

KokeRook
07-01-2014, 06:53 PM
That's what I was thinking too. So with those specs (and estimated weight 1600+/-) you think I would be ok with the 12volt 55lb? OR would I end up kicking myself in the long run that I would want more power?

Question: If I have more thrust does the motor work any less to achieve the same mph for the same boat? OR will a 70lb draw the same amount of juice as the 55lb to attain the same koke trolling speed?
Sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks for the help.

SuperD
07-01-2014, 08:11 PM
Deadrise at Transom (deg) 10
Not only are you light in the weight department but you have a flat bottom boat by deadrise standards. That means you sit on top and will have less drag in the water. I don't think you need the bigger motor.

KokeRook
07-01-2014, 11:35 PM
thanks much for the help super D

KokeRook
07-02-2014, 01:17 PM
I just got the Powerdrive V2 55lb thrust with I-Pilot... mounted it on the bow of the 15' Smokercraft Alaskan. Only used it a couple times so far and just starting to use a few of the features. Seems to have plenty of power and the spot lock is awesome for jigging... no more pulling up a anchor!! thumbsup Being that we only use the motor for jigging we haven't ran the battery down yet so not sure how long it will last (Trojan with a 115 amp hour capacity.)

This sound like exactly what I'm looking for silverBullets. Do you mind me asking what your estimated weight of your boat, gear, and anglers is when your trolling? And...What percentage of "throttle" are you using to maintain the "Kokanee" speed?

SilverBullets
07-02-2014, 11:56 PM
This sound like exactly what I'm looking for silverBullets. Do you mind me asking what your estimated weight of your boat, gear, and anglers is when your trolling? And...What percentage of "throttle" are you using to maintain the "Kokanee" speed?

So far i've only used it when jigging... haven't trolled with it.

troller
07-03-2014, 09:54 PM
hello kokerook, I have a 94' 16.5 foot crestliner sportfish with a terrova 12 volt bow mount with I-pilot. I use that to steer with, I use my 9.5 old evinrude to push the boat when trolling. When i hook up I kill the 9.8 and the I-pilot keeps steering and some foward momentum, its dang nice just fighting the fish instead of the wind. I can troll all day at about 1/2 power or less(depends on wind) on my single 12 volt batterey, if that helps you out any.

bdogdt47
07-16-2014, 11:33 PM
I have an Alumacraft that is 14'10" and is powered by a 25 hp Yammy. Looks very similar to your boat. On the front I have a 55 Minkota with i pilot. Under the deck in the front are two 31group AGM batteries. Also under the deck is a dual 15amp charger that easily charges both batteries overnight. There is also a switch to change batteries. I can run the motor for trolling and the downriggers on one battery for 6.5 hours, on average. I love this setup, especially when I am alone and setting downriggers by myself. The AGM batteries are expensive, but can take a beating, don't off gas, are sealed and can be payed on their side, as mine are.

SuperDaveMT
07-17-2014, 10:30 AM
I have a very similar set-up, a 16.5' crestliner canadian with a 60hp Yamaha. I have a 55# thrust I-pilot on the front. On flat water I can do about 2.7 mph. I would say it is adequate for the size of the boat. The only trouble I have is on a trolling motor only lake when the wind comes out of the north at more than about 12 - 15 mph - it's hell trying to get back to the launch without the big motor. If that's not an issue for you, I would say go with the 55# thrust. As others have said, on a windy day you can use your big motor to push and the trolling motor to steer. You will love the I-pilot, especially if you fish alone much.

bdogdt47
07-17-2014, 11:26 AM
Some additional thoughts to add to my post. The slowest my 15' Alimacraft will troll with my 25 Yammy is 2 mph. Not great for kokanee. So I added a small Happy Troller and cut a 45 degree notch in the release mechanism. Have only used it a couple of times, but would be needed at those lakes with no moorage plug ins'. Generally, when the wind comes up, with a 15' boat I am off the lake anyway. Safety first!