PDA

View Full Version : Help on Holter lake.

TrophyBoat
06-24-2014, 08:57 PM
Hey guys, looks like I will be up at Holter lake for the 4th of july, does anybody have any tips or info whatsoever on the kokanee fishing up there. Anything is appreciated!

SuperD
06-24-2014, 09:32 PM
Upper Holter or lower Holter?

wrightwyoming
06-24-2014, 10:19 PM
Are you talking about Holter below Canyon Ferry Dam? If so I would launch below Canyon Ferry and go down river to where the boats are. The last time I fished it they used wedding rings pop gear and white corn. Lots of fish but on the small side.

SuperDaveMT
06-25-2014, 10:39 AM
Holter is two lakes below Canyon Ferry (Hauser is in between). Hauser used to be a world class kokanee fishery, but it crapped out 10 - 15 years ago. FWP has tried to resurect it a couple of times, and a 7 pound state record was caught there in 2010, but I think the kokanees have run their course in Hauser. Holter has never to my knowledge been a kokanee fishery. The stocking reports show they did a stocking of kokanee in Holter in 2009, but not since, and I've never heard of any being caught out of Holter. Holter can be very good for rainbows in the 2-5 pound range and walleye and perch fishing can be pretty good. Helena Valley Regulating Reservoir is a pretty decent kokanee fishery in the Helena area. It's a small lake (about 500 acres), relatively shallow (there is some 40 - 50 foot deep water, but most of the lake is 12 - 25 feet deep. It is an electric trolling motor use only lake. I do pretty well trolling with the usual kokanee gear - dodgers and spinners, hoochies and apexes tipped with corn/gulp maggots. The fish have been running about 14 - 15 inches pretty consistently. I'd take you out while your here, but I'll be out of town for my daughter's wedding.

TrophyBoat
06-25-2014, 02:53 PM
Thanks guys. It is the upper holter, I believe. After doing some research it seems that it is a rainbow fishery and that is what I will be after it looks like. More of a camping trip but I will post a report if we fish much! Thanks again.

TrophyBoat
07-10-2014, 03:21 PM
Hey, Thanks guys, just got back from holter. We didn't fish much but we caught a few 16-17" trout just trolling around with cranks and cripplures. A few buddies did ok on walleye the day before we got there pitching jigs into the shore. Sorry no pictures!