PDA

View Full Version : corn substitute?

SilverBullets
10-26-2008, 07:52 PM
I've read that some of you fish waters where the use of corn is illegal, can you share any options you've come up with? I know useing gel scents works well, but is anyone useing things such as pieces of sponges soaked in scent or something like that? I like the mad scientist aspect of preparing different batches of corn every week, but am always open to new ideas. Next season I will be experimenting with Gulp Maggots in place of corn to see how it affects the catch rate. Thanks in advance for any tips you can share...

Petty4life
10-26-2008, 08:34 PM
i started using the gulp maggots and have seen catc rates increasethumbsup

Kokaholic
10-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Gulp minnows in Natural white did well this year for us.

RickM
10-29-2008, 12:12 AM
Instead of corn I'll use Crappie nibbles, in white or gold flake.

HiTechKoke
10-29-2008, 10:32 AM
After a certain trip to the Gorge this year I did get some maggots to throw in the mix when I came back to Kalyfornia but it was too late in the season for me to use them much. In the meantime it's been about 5-8 different brews of corn that I end up making for each trip and the word goes out among the Kokanee guys when Green Giant Shoepeg corn is on sale as it can get expensive if you don't catch it on sale.

FishHunter
10-29-2008, 06:02 PM
I use Gulp maggots in pink and wax worms in natural color. I quit using corn at the end of the season in Colorado because it is messy and time consuming. I have never found a really good way to keep the corn on my hooks for long periods of time (apparently, I like to go hours and hours without catching fish on some trips)laugh hyst

bobco
11-01-2008, 06:27 PM
Gulp hot pink maggots rock, stay on the hook wayyyyyyy better than corn and kokes love them....

Fallriverguy
01-12-2009, 01:41 PM
I had very good success with Gulp maggots at the end of this season.