PDA

View Full Version : Pints or Half Pints?

DLM
04-25-2014, 06:08 PM
Last year was our first year canning and used pints. I scanned a bunch of prior posts but could not determine anyone's preference as to pints or half pints, so weigh in here please.

dragonfly
04-25-2014, 07:05 PM
Dave, I think it depends on your family we used to do quarts with everything because they were easier to get but were way too much unless you had a family gathering. so we went to pints. now the kids are gone and just my wife and I so we do a lot of 1/2 pints now. dfly

downriggeral
04-25-2014, 09:47 PM
7118I like pints my self......seems like a lot of work though. I like to smoke them and vac seal 5 to a bag if they are 12" or less. I cut the tails off to gain room.

SuperD
04-25-2014, 10:44 PM
Most of my batches are 1/2 pints because that is a perfect size for dip and giving as gifts. I also make occasional batches of pints for making koke patties.

Lund troller
04-26-2014, 12:38 PM
I use pints and seem to use the hole jar when we open them. Love to smoke them for 2 hours and then can them they are the best that way a little bit dryer great for dips and for spreading over salads the regular stuff is great for patties,loafs,or mix like you would tuna.I guess the size of the jar issue is what you are using it for? I like it enough to eat a hole jar myself yummy

SuperDaveMT
06-12-2014, 02:35 PM
I usually pull the little pin bones out of my fillets before I grill them. I assume they kind of soften up or dissolve when canning. What about smoking? Do people leave them in or pull them out?

SuperD
06-12-2014, 03:13 PM
Keep in mind that standard fish canning procedure is to put whole fish chunks in the jar and pressure cook. There is NO bone or skeleton removal at all. I guess us Kokanee fishermen are a little more particular. When I smoke my fish I pull the spinal bone and all the ribs that will come along willingly out. What few bones remain end up in the jar to disolve as "flavor".

DLM
07-08-2014, 10:54 AM
I only remove the ribs before smoking, pin bones have not been an issue.

gonefishing
07-15-2014, 10:43 PM
I pull the pin bones before smoking. Makes a big difference. I have not canned any kokanee yet. I usually pull all bones from filets and VP and into the freezer. I would like to can some next year to replace the tunna fish I used to purchase, before it ended up around $7.00 per lb. I need some instructions on how to do this.

SuperD
07-15-2014, 11:02 PM
There might be others that can frequently but I think I'm your resident koke canner Dallas. There are a few canning threads here. I've got a picture tutorial on a thread about 3/4 ways down the first page started by "spoons". Feel free to PM me if you need more step by step.

gonefishing
07-16-2014, 08:44 PM
There might be others that can frequently but I think I'm your resident koke canner Dallas. There are a few canning threads here. I've got a picture tutorial on a thread about 3/4 ways down the first page started by "spoons". Feel free to PM me if you need more step by step.

As soon as I get about 4 more batches smoked for eating etc, I will work on fish for canning and get ahold of you if I can not get your instructions figured out. Kokanee fishing has been slowing down until today. I found some deep water with lots of nice size fish, so you know where I will be the next week or so. By the way, I took your lead on bead lures for kokes and they have upted my catch rate. ( BIG TIME ) tooexcited

Your going to love retirement. The Best year of fishing I have ever had.