PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tongue Weight

DLM
03-18-2014, 12:33 PM
I took the boat by a state commercial scales on Saturday just to see what the overall and tongue weight is. I have always heard and subscribed to the tongue weight being about 10% of the total boat/trailer weight. The total weight was 3950 totally unhooked from the pickup. When I rolled the boat back and weighed just the tongue the weight was only 150lbs. I was surprised, rolled it off the scales and back on and it was still 150lbs. I have not really noticed any problems with how the trailer handles. There is one downgrade where there is a little sway back there but I think that is due to ruts in that lane that the trailer is trying to fit into. Maybe not. I will be adding some weight to the tongue when I put on the spare tire and holder, approx. 40lbs I think. Any thoughts?

SuperD
03-18-2014, 12:37 PM
Was your electric bow mount and double batteries upfront? Dual axle and 2 motors hanging off the back really has all the weight in the ass end of the boat.

DLM
03-18-2014, 12:40 PM
I did not have the bow mount on but I assumed most of that weight would be transferred to the axles as it would be mounted to the boat and not the tongue. I also forgot to ad that the gas tank was completely full, and the boat was sitting level. Batteries are mounted in the step inside the cabin under the windshield. Nothing was in the front hold.

SuperD
03-18-2014, 12:55 PM
Think of your axles like a teeter totter. All the weight in your boat is distributed to all the support points but relative to the fulcrum or centerline. Weight in the boat that is farther infront of the axles will be supported to a greater degree by the tongue. Again, using the teeter totter analogy, having 2 engines at the back of one end of the teeter totter really takes the weight off the bow. If you have porpusing issues when you are on plane in your boat, you might find that you need to move more of your gear or weight up front to get a better ride.

SuperD
03-18-2014, 12:58 PM
Also, does your trailer have an adjustable bow stop? You can might some fine toon adjustments by sliding your bow stop forward. That will move some more of your overall weight north of the axles.

dragonfly
03-18-2014, 12:58 PM
depending on the trailer the winch mount / bow support is adjustable and you can move your boat forward or back on mine I moved it forward and made it a lot more stable and evened out the weight out on the tires. I am sure a lot of people would benefit from this if they weight there tong and adjusted there boat properly because most dealers just throw the boat on the trailer thinking every thing is set up from the mfg. other wise when you pack put every thing forward. dfly

mrmike
03-18-2014, 01:13 PM
I agree when my sled move just a few inches back dew to a loose bow winch I see my boat a little unstable and know immediately the boat moved down a little it kind of rocks up and down you might just trying to moving your boat up just a little on the neck of the trailer.

DLM
03-18-2014, 01:20 PM
I think I can move it maybe an inch or two but not much more. Would that make much of a difference?

SuperD
03-18-2014, 01:22 PM
The only hiccup that can occur is when the stupid transducer was installed right inline with a trailer bunk.

SuperD
03-18-2014, 01:23 PM
I think I can move it maybe an inch or two but not much more. Would that make much of a difference?

Yes. Sometimes every little bit helps.

DLM
03-18-2014, 01:40 PM
The only hiccup that can occur is when the stupid transducer was installed right inline with a trailer bunk.Good Point, thanks for the heads up.

lowe1648mt
03-18-2014, 08:15 PM
Good Point, thanks for the heads up.

One other thing you can do that is easy. If you have Air Shocks, lift the back of the truck. If you don't have air shocks, get a new coupler for your truck. Say you have a 2" drop coupler, get one that is level.

SilverBullets
03-18-2014, 10:54 PM
One other thing you can do that is easy. If you have Air Shocks, lift the back of the truck. If you don't have air shocks, get a new coupler for your truck. Say you have a 2" drop coupler, get one that is level.

I'm far from a expert... for a light tongue weight i would have thought the opposite.

SuperD
03-18-2014, 11:11 PM
Here is another method to calculate tongue weight.

http://www.eaglecapowners.com/campfire/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2008

Bduck
03-19-2014, 10:44 AM
Some trailers are made to reposition the axel/s. I have done this before on an older boat trailer single axel I use to have. Looking in the mirror and seeing a boat swaying on its transporter is a scary situation. Bought a sway control bar but that only partially eliminated the situation. I'm not convinced that sway control bars are there to eliminate sway. Maybe on super lite loads.

DLM
03-19-2014, 11:58 AM
I think I can move it maybe an inch or two but not much more. Would that make much of a difference? I checked last night and it looks like I can move it about 1.5 inches and then a brake line becomes an issue. I will have it in the water Saturday (more boring breaking in time) so I can move it then and weigh again on the way home.

mrmike
03-19-2014, 12:16 PM
I forgot to add I have a single axle trailer my boat is 21 ft usually the front neck were your winch is adjustable on my trailer you loosen some bolts and the neck can be adjusted . Like I mention earlier if my sled slips down a few inches she is rocking/just a balancing thing.Seems to me you have just a little to much weight back you only need a little.