PDA

View Full Version : Battery Tender Plus...is it as good as sounds for Deep Cycle Batteries.??

KokeRook
03-16-2014, 09:13 PM
Anybody use the Battery Tender Plus to keep their trolling / boat motors up to snuff and ready to go?

From the sounds of it...I could leave the cables attached to my group 29 trolling motor battery and just plug it in when I get home.

Is the 1+amp enough to get me charged up and ready to go if I go on back to back days? Or will I also need to use a higher rate charger for that situation?

I do not have a charging system on my 14' Lund....I've just been keeping my batteries charged by plugging them in right when I get home on a higher rate charger. In the off season I would just top it off once per month. Seems to have worked so far...but the "tendering" seems to good to be true.

Thanks for you input and help...as usual .

dragonfly
03-16-2014, 11:25 PM
costo has a good deal on them, I have the sealed version mounted in the boat that takes care of the 2 house and the start batt and I plug mine in when ever it is in the garage. and over the winter, I jumper both batts from the camper and my motor cycle batt and it's been working great for 5 years now. as far as charging over night they don't put out enough amps and I rely on the inboard 90 amp alt and the trolling motor to top them off during the day. dfly

KokeRook
03-16-2014, 11:33 PM
Thanks Dfly.

kok-head
03-20-2014, 09:42 PM
Anybody use the Battery Tender Plus to keep their trolling / boat motors up to snuff and ready to go?

From the sounds of it...I could leave the cables attached to my group 29 trolling motor battery and just plug it in when I get home.

Is the 1+amp enough to get me charged up and ready to go if I go on back to back days? Or will I also need to use a higher rate charger for that situation?

I do not have a charging system on my 14' Lund....I've just been keeping my batteries charged by plugging them in right when I get home on a higher rate charger. In the off season I would just top it off once per month. Seems to have worked so far...but the "tendering" seems to good to be true.

Thanks for you input and help...as usual .

i've had great luck with the battery tender products, and i have a separate 2 amp charger with automatic float feature so as to not overcharge (diehard brand) that will charge up a deep cycle battery in one evening that my trolling depleted the day prior, i wanna say it was about $20 at sears when i bought it

Kokanee-Toni
03-21-2014, 12:10 AM
I use the battery tender and the one I have will not charge a battery over night. It takes 2 or 3 days. I have used it for several years. I use a regular charger for overnight charges.