PDA

View Full Version : Early Thaw

Bduck
03-04-2014, 08:02 AM
All thru the month of February we experienced above normal seasonal temps when we should still be a frozen tundra. I took a ride up to E Canyon res yesterday and by comparison from the previous week, ice should be off by the end of the week. With all of the recent rains, lake level has risen to above the 2nd dam base, open water of 30-40' from shore to the edge of the ice and major cracks in the ice throughout the lake. Now we are in the month of March and another warm storm known as the pineapple express is about ascend upon us putting more rain in the lower elevations and valleys with a good snow pack on the mountain. I've been chomping at the bit to get out to Bear L but the storms keep hammering away. The more we get now the better the lakes fill and I'm expecting close to full pool this spring. thumbsup tooexcited

smokepoles
03-04-2014, 11:01 AM
I'm thinking the same, Roger. Let me know when a nice day pops up and we'll see if can get to Bear L. Boat is almost ready to go, I just need to finish up putting on the steering linkage from main to kicker.

My daughter is planning on moving to Kalispell end of March, and my wife has already committed me to help with the move so it looks like I may not be able to make the Brats gang gathering this spring.

Bduck
03-04-2014, 01:18 PM
Friday Mar 7 is lined up. Have a buddy joining me if we can get over the pass which we should be able to.101ok101

Bduck
03-05-2014, 07:00 AM
Friday Mar 7 is lined up. Have a buddy joining me if we can get over the pass which we should be able to.101ok101

Looks like Friday is a no go with a storm riding in. 101thumbsdown101 Maybe the weekend. 101whocares101

smokepoles
03-06-2014, 10:30 AM
Saturday is looking to be pretty nice. I drove by Hyrum yesterday and there is still some slushy looking ice on about half the lake. It is a good place for me to take the boat out for the first trip of the year to shake out the cobwebs - if any issues only 5 minutes back home.

SuperD
03-06-2014, 10:59 AM
Good place to flush your motors after fishing Bear too.

kok-head
03-06-2014, 01:21 PM
All thru the month of February we experienced above normal seasonal temps when we should still be a frozen tundra. I took a ride up to E Canyon res yesterday and by comparison from the previous week, ice should be off by the end of the week. With all of the recent rains, lake level has risen to above the 2nd dam base, open water of 30-40' from shore to the edge of the ice and major cracks in the ice throughout the lake. Now we are in the month of March and another warm storm known as the pineapple express is about ascend upon us putting more rain in the lower elevations and valleys with a good snow pack on the mountain. I've been chomping at the bit to get out to Bear L but the storms keep hammering away. The more we get now the better the lakes fill and I'm expecting close to full pool this spring. thumbsup tooexcited

i know that fishing for macks is usually best in the morning time, have you ever caught (or know of anyone that has) any of the bear lake cutts or macks fishing in the evening or middle of the day? im hoping to get down there in a month or so but ill prolly stay in salt lake with family and may not able to get there early enough for the morning bite

SuperD
03-06-2014, 01:43 PM
Cutts tend to be a lot less particular to mornings. I've caught my biggest Cutts out of Pyramid Lake in Nevada, 1 - 8.9 lbs and 1 - 13 lbs, both in the afternoon.

kok-head
03-06-2014, 02:16 PM
Cutts tend to be a lot less particular to mornings. I've caught my biggest Cutts out of Pyramid Lake in Nevada, 1 - 8.9 lbs and 1 - 13 lbs, both in the afternoon.

thanks for the info, ive never caught a mack and ive only caught small river cutts so if i hook into any fish over 18" ill be excited

Bduck
03-06-2014, 04:19 PM
Seems the bite gets better as the morning progress's. You don't have to think about a daybreak rush to catch cutts or lakers. Usually mid to late morning to early afternoon. Since I drive 2hrs I always try to make a good day of fishing out of it. The cutts & lakers are coming down off of a feeding frenzy of cisco. This is not one of the easiest lakes to fish but when its on, one can stay busy exercising the reeling arm.

kok-head
03-06-2014, 04:27 PM
Seems the bite gets better as the morning progress's. You don't have to think about a daybreak rush to catch cutts or lakers. Usually mid to late morning to early afternoon. Since I drive 2hrs I always try to make a good day of fishing out of it. The cutts & lakers are coming down off of a feeding frenzy of cisco. This is not one of the easiest lakes to fish but when its on, one can stay busy exercising the reeling arm.

good info, thanks, and i've heard BL can be tough

at my local reservoirs it took me about 2 yrs and about 15 trips to really get them figured out and i still dont limit each trip

i have friends that have fished strawberry and BL and the gorge and they all tell me to expect to have limited success the first few times at each place

Bduck
03-06-2014, 07:16 PM
good info, thanks, and i've heard BL can be tough

at my local reservoirs it took me about 2 yrs and about 15 trips to really get them figured out and i still dont limit each trip

i have friends that have fished strawberry and BL and the gorge and they all tell me to expect to have limited success the first few times at each place

Check out the "Spring Gathering" thread for Bear Lake this forum. All is welcome thumbsup