PDA

View Full Version : Results of First (and maybe last) bug Hook exp,WARNING...LONG POST

KokeRook
03-01-2014, 01:37 PM
Hello again Guys.
I started a thread last week asking how those "bug" hooks are made, as an attempt to melt plastic failed horribly.

Here is a link to that thread.
http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/showthread.php?8096-Another-quot-Rook-quot-question-Some-MFG-have-hooks-with-color-melted-on-them

Well I thought I would follow through and show you the "results" t4luil of the "mixture".

First off...thank you very much for sharing the "Secret" products from the fly shop (especially MrMike and SuperD)
Well...I did not want to spend the amount of money (looked like about $40 is what it would have taken) it would take to experiment with something I only wanted to check out and play around with to test.
Then I thought about stuff I already had at home, A Loon product called "UV Knot Sense". I had used this in the past for coat my knots where I joined braid and mono for some of my salmon and steelhead river fishing. Sounded like the same (or close to it) as the Loon product that you had mentioned.

Then I thought color...I had Pro0-tec Powder paint I use for coating and coloring my lead Jig heads for my Jigs that I tie.
What the heck.
Squirted some know sense into a small cup....sprinkled Pink glow pro-tec and some UV Blast White (clear when used with heat).
Mixed it up...then the Challenge: HOW do I get it on the Shank somewhat evenly. Just put some on a toothpick..rolled the hook around to keep it on and rounded....hit it with my UV light and set it up Quick so it stopped moving. Then put the light on it for several minutes to harden it through.

Results...NOT very pretty...not near as even as KK makes....but the powder paint did add Glow in dark, and UV properties. and the color is pretty good.

Now will I do this again...ehhh...maybe. I will fish the two rigs I made and let the fish tell me. The time it took and challenge to make it look presentable (or should I say...make them that are presentable unlike the 4 I made).

Very sorry for the Long post: Just wanted for follow up to say Thanks again to the guys that helped and opened my mind by sharing their secret. Pictures below show the Ugly results and the products I used.

IF you do this and are willing to share how you apply the material to your hooks and get it even...would greatly appreciate it.

The free flowing of information sharing of this site is what sets it apart from so many other fishing forums. Thank you for allowing me to be part of it.

Again...sorry for the long post.

the force
03-08-2014, 02:28 PM
Those look good to me. Just a suggestion if you want to try a slightly different method and save some time. Get some pucci soft glow beads, they come in red, green a white- You can easily slip them over the eye of the hook after tying your snell. I don't recall but there is another manufacturer that makes the same soft bead if you don't have the pucci's locally.

http://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/PYR2LNNES/title/pucci--egg-shaped-soft-glow-beads