PDA

View Full Version : Another "Rook" question: Some MFG have hooks with color melted on them...???

KokeRook
02-25-2014, 09:41 PM
I notice there are some commercial rigs that have what appears to be colored plastic melted on the shank of the hook.

I've been trying to figure out how they do it...BTW: I don't think melting plastic tubing is how it's done...at least my experiment did not come out so well.101thumbsdown101

Then I wondered...Does this help? (I know the flash of color) but...does corn or gulp maggots accomplish the same thing?

Then I thought about my river fishing...with drift fishing gear...corkies, cheaters, etc.. you need to pay attention to your hook size vs your drift bobber as to not impede you bite gap.

Before I spend more time trying to figure out how these hooks are created...I was hoping you guys could help me with my questions.

I am NOT questioning it's effectiveness at all...just wondering your experiences with these "enhanced" hooks.

As always...thank you very much for helping.

I am obviously the "KokeRook" :confused:

SuperD
02-25-2014, 10:03 PM
The hooks are powder coated and can be purchased separately. I went through my period of using them in my tackle making. The primary reasons I quit was cost and more importantly, the coating made such a small eye hole that I got way too frustrated trying to snell them.

As for effectiveness, we all can a test to catching limits with regular old hooks. I think they catch us as much as the fish.

KokeRook
02-25-2014, 10:10 PM
Sorry SuperD, I was not clear.

The picture link below shows the type of hooks I am speaking of.

SilverBullets
02-25-2014, 10:12 PM
You could powder coat them but (in my experience anyway) it goes on too thick and hard to keep away from the eye and hook/barb. Here's an alternative... http://www.csipaint.com/products/markers-dips/lure-dip.php

SuperD
02-25-2014, 10:25 PM
That isn't a hook, that's a "bug". The hook itself appears to be a colored hook with the bug added. I know that fabric paint works as one of the materials to build up the bug.

KokeRook
02-25-2014, 10:39 PM
Sorry..my bad... the major player in the koknee realm calls them "pre-tied leaders".

I know another mfg calls them "glo hooks".

Do the make a difference in catching?

SuperD
02-25-2014, 10:52 PM
A bug is fished as your lure. They are popular with people on some lakes. It's like some folks have confidence in hoochies and some in spinners. A bug is just another tool in the tool bag.

DLM
02-25-2014, 11:07 PM
I think these are made by using epoxy and then painting it or mixing paint, sometimes glow paint or powder, in the epoxy.

SilverBullets
02-25-2014, 11:19 PM
I could be wrong but i believe your picture is of pre-tied leaders with glow material and hand painted dots. They could be fished as bugs but are mainly being used (at least by the tackle company that sells them) in making their spinners and spin & glow lures. That specific glow material is a maufacturing secret according to a couple of tackle companies i've asked.

rainORsnow1
02-25-2014, 11:31 PM
I just bought these and can't wait to get them on Thursday. They're UV

http://www.xtackle.com/gamakatsu-fluorescent-octopus-assortment.aspx

KokeRook
02-25-2014, 11:35 PM
Thanks guys....

That is what I figured.

I had some tubing from making Coho spinners and thought I would try. After my failed attempt I assumed it was an epoxy.

Kokanee lures seem a lot like the steelhead lures. Many ways to get to the same goal...THE BITE.

thanks again.....As you can tell...I like to tinker around and make my own lures.

Tight Lines..SPRING is almost here :)

mrmike
02-26-2014, 11:55 AM
Let me help and then you will O'me one KokeRook Super D EXPLAINED THESE OR THOSE HOOKS are powder coated and I like them a lot KOKANEE SEEM TO STICK TO THEM EXTREMELY WELL second I have had such great success they are made by Gamo and are called Octopus.example first two Springers I put in the boat last year after netting the fish the hooks were out side the fish in the net looking at me.They were OWNERS with this barbless new regulation. I new how well these Gamo hold Kokanee so I changed my hooks over the next 8 fish in the boat all the hooks were still in the fish these hooks really stick they are thinner and I'm very satisfied with the results DLM i WILL PASS ON THAT SECRET the manufactures have it really not that secret go to your local Quality Fly Shop ask for LOON OUTDOOR UV CLEAR FLY FINISH IN THICK OR THIN this stuff is very sticky you poor it into a small cup and you can add Fly Tying Powder Phosphorescent or White Pearlescent stir it into the Fly Finish Know the magic it stays liguid for ever until its hit with a UV Light or the Sun and it turns to a solid you can layer it put on hooks jig the sky the limit/my hat goes off to these Fly Tyers they are way more advance then us.I'm looking at what some fisherman are doing to there hooks adding what ever and tying on threads etc actually they are just tying flys to there hooks. I been playing with this stuff for awhile some other folks are using it and have felt it was there magical secret.It really is extremely cool stuff and really there are thousands of kokanee in are lakes Hope this helps

DLM
02-26-2014, 02:15 PM
Let me help and then you will O'me one KokeRook Super D EXPLAINED THESE OR THOSE HOOKS are powder coated and I like them a lot KOKANEE SEEM TO STICK TO THEM EXTREMELY WELL second I have had such great success they are made by Gamo and are called Octopus.example first two Springers I put in the boat last year after netting the fish the hooks were out side the fish in the net looking at me.They were OWNERS with this barbless new regulation. I new how well these Gamo hold Kokanee so I changed my hooks over the next 8 fish in the boat all the hooks were still in the fish these hooks really stick they are thinner and I'm very satisfied with the results DLM i WILL PASS ON THAT SECRET the manufactures have it really not that secret go to your local Quality Fly Shop ask for LOON OUTDOOR UV CLEAR FLY FINISH IN THICK OR THIN this stuff is very sticky you poor it into a small cup and you can add Fly Tying Powder Phosphorescent or White Pearlescent stir it into the Fly Finish Know the magic it stays liguid for ever until its hit with a UV Light or the Sun and it turns to a solid you can layer it put on hooks jig the sky the limit/my hat goes off to these Fly Tyers they are way more advance then us.I'm looking at what some fisherman are doing to there hooks adding what ever and tying on threads etc actually they are just tying flys to there hooks. I been playing with this stuff for awhile some other folks are using it and have felt it was there magical secret.It really is extremely cool stuff and really there are thousands of kokanee in are lakes Hope this helps

awesomereport Now that's sharing, what Koke guys are all about!

KokeRook
02-26-2014, 04:06 PM

This is why this board is as good as it is. Thanks much for the tip.thumbsup

I have this liquid from the fly shop...just was not smart enough to put 2+2 together yet. I sometimes put it on my knots (stuff I have from loon is called Knot sense) when joining braid to mono for steelhead and salmon fishing. The product you describe sounds similar...I'll have to swing by the fly shop tonight and see what they have.

I am pretty much a Gamakatsu (assume this what you mean by Gamo) only guy for all my fishing (with the exception of my open eye siwash hooks). I have been using the Gamakatsu Split shot/drop shot hooks for Kokanee.
In barbless areas I have HUGE confidence in the Gami factory barbless octopus hooks. The shape of them significantly increased my hook up to land ratio while Coho Fishing on my local river....Check them out for your barbless areas fishing if you have not yet.

One of the main lures I use so far is the "Rastical" and variations of it. That is exactly as you describe...different flash and glow strands are tied onto the lead hook using hot pink/orange/ whatever thread.
It was a natural carry over from my steelhead and salmon fishing as I create all my own jigs.

Thanks again....once again the anglers on this page help out another guy who has the same disease of Angling Obsession.thumbsup

DLM
02-26-2014, 04:30 PM
Since we are kind of morphing into a hook discussion I use either the Gami or the Mustad dropshot hooks. Mustad is a little cheaper and the hook eye is a little larger allowing for heaving line when snelling.

mrmike
02-26-2014, 05:18 PM
I'm a type of fisherman if it works I don't change these powder coated hooks by Gamakatsu have been working extremely well I use OWNERS for my fall fishing and use these powder coated for numerous other fish from steelhead/ kokanee/ trout/ catfish/ walleye/shad /springers and I also use Sickle Hooks. The results I am completely happy with they are surely working for me. Of coarse folks will disagree and it is -what it is.

KokeRook
02-26-2014, 05:20 PM
Since we are kind of morphing into a hook discussion I use either the Gami or the Mustad dropshot hooks. Mustad is a little cheaper and the hook eye is a little larger allowing for heaving line when snelling.

Do they have the same shape as the Gami? The frustrating thing with the Gami's is they only sell them on 6 packs. I buy all my other hooks in min of 25...mostly 100's.

Are the mustads as Thin as the Gami's.

Thanks for yet another tip DLM.

kennymac
02-26-2014, 06:22 PM
Go to hagensfish.com they have color Gami's packs of a hundred for about 29 cents a hook

DLM
02-26-2014, 07:33 PM
I have never seen Gami dropshot hooks in bulk anywhere, stores, catalogs, internet, no place. The mustad's are almost exactly the same shape and thickness of the Gami but harder to find in the red color if that is your thing. Once and a while you can find the mustad's in 25 packs but rarely.

KokeRook
02-26-2014, 10:28 PM
I have never seen Gami dropshot hooks in bulk anywhere, stores, catalogs, internet, no place. The mustad's are almost exactly the same shape and thickness of the Gami but harder to find in the red color if that is your thing. Once and a while you can find the mustad's in 25 packs but rarely.

Thank you.

cowlitzsteelie1977
07-04-2014, 07:09 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I can not say the same for the Gamakatsu barbless octopus hooks. I caught more Fall Chinook with Owner SSW hooks. Those Kings were throwing those Gamis in our face. Switched to Owners last August at Astoria Megler bridge, pinched the barb, and caught everything except when a seal snagged it. Kokanee, I have caught on Gamakatsu, Owner, Mustad, Matzuo, Vision, and Brad's and really seen no difference red or black or every color in the rainbow. I think its just personal preference. Using Brad's this year cause I switched to using a #1, #2 snelled combo and think I have lost less fish in a bunch of years. I like the bigger size. Its working. To him or her their own ;-) Tight lines.