PDA

View Full Version : Double hooks on wedding ring rigs?

KokeRook
02-23-2014, 02:47 PM
Hello,
Like many I enjoy creating and catching fish on my home created set ups.

A big part of my current arsenal is Bill Herzogs "rastical" and several variations of it. Had very good success in my first year of Kokanee fishing last year.

I want to have some other options in my box this year....i have tied up some spin and glow set ups and want to add some Wedding ring set ups.

My question is this:

Why do Commercial wedding ring lures have only one hook?

Is there a reason why a person would not want to put wedding ring spinners on a Double Hook Set up?

Thank you for your help in advance:

dragonfly
02-23-2014, 03:23 PM
I don't fish anything without dbl hooks especially early season. with both hooks one is in the mouth the other in the gill plate or swallowed, they don't get away easily, and I put the corn on the first hook and use the red or florescent hooks to match my lure's, but I am a lot more particular than most. dfly here's some colors http://www.xtackle.com/gamakatsu-fluorescent-octopus-assortment.aspx

KokeRook
02-23-2014, 03:40 PM
Thanks DFLY...

When you run wedding ring spinners do you lengthen your leader? I had one gentleman suggest a 20" leader on these.

fishslayer13
02-23-2014, 03:55 PM
I dont fish with out double hooks either. But have a couple friends that wont use them as they say they end up with the extra hook in there hands all the time. I rig pretty much as Dfly does.. I run my spinners farther back than say I would a hoochie. I would say at least 20 inches.

dragonfly
02-23-2014, 04:12 PM
kokerook I haven't used conventional weeding rings in years although I still carry them in my tackle box. like I have said, you can run as long as you like. other than the apex and wiggle hoochies, I bring home more fish running them about 8'' and occasionally up to 10'' from my dodgers. your results my vary. dfly

rainORsnow1
02-23-2014, 04:17 PM
I run 18" leader on my wedding rings and I retie them with two hooks. The 18" is for lake trolls. I'll run about 12" off my dodgers.
I don't feel they need as much action imparted as a hoochie for obvious reasons.

KokeRook
02-23-2014, 06:26 PM
Maybe the 20" the guy was recommending was for lake trolls. ....

Thank you guys.

Mharri333
02-24-2014, 05:46 PM
I almost always run double hooks. Sometimes if the fish are skittish I will only use a single but that is not very often and usually early in the season. I have also run a treble as the trailing hook if I am losing a bunch at the boat and getting ticked but not very often.

Lund troller
02-24-2014, 11:48 PM
Has any body used the VMC hooks with the triple barbs ? I just bought a couple packages of them, they look a fish holding hook. We will soon find out.

Kokanee-Toni
02-25-2014, 09:27 AM
Has any body used the VMC hooks with the triple barbs ? I just bought a couple packages of them, they look a fish holding hook. We will soon find out.
I have. I used size 14 and broke points off with pliers trying to get them out of the fishes mouth. So I quit. They might be sturdier at a larger size.

I always use double hooks. I make some now with a treble for when I they seem to either get off or lots of bites and no hookups. I just started doing that last season and it seemed to help. Otherwise I like single hooks as the end of the double.

KokeRook
02-25-2014, 10:23 AM
I always use double hooks. I make some now with a treble for when I they seem to either get off or lots of bites and no hookups. I just started doing that last season and it seemed to help. Otherwise I like single hooks as the end of the double.

Thank you Toni.

I was watching a You Tube video of Washington Lake website guy ( sorry, forgot his name ). He and his Wife were fishing Chelan last season.

A couple of the GORGEOUS fish the caught were on your "Bloody Mary" wedding ring lure.

Hope all is well with you.

SilverBullets
02-25-2014, 11:26 AM
For trolling i only build lures with double hooks... mainly due to the kokes soft mouth and how they seem to trash and go ballistic more than most species. The majority of hits are on the first hook and the trailer hook sometimes seals the deal getting embedded in the cheek as the fish trashes. Also, another advantage of the double hook rig is if you put a kernal on each hook when you get a drive by without it sticking you can leave your presentation out still... chances are there's still a kernal on the other hook. I can't count the times by leaving it lure in the water for a good 5-10 minutes after the initial strike before reeling in to rebait a fish hits the other piece of corn. For me the whole double hook thing came about years ago after reading the book 'Kokanee' by Dave Bisor and how Phil Johnson rigged his lures.

mrmike
02-25-2014, 12:09 PM
I for one use wedding ring alot on the Columbia for Steelhead with coontail shrimp even works with CHINOOK really can't be beat. I change the blades and I change the hooks always a double hook set up I have a box were I have all the components to mix and match all different color combinations have not found a better lure. My standard for kokanee is 30 inch leader I changed over to the Indiana (diamond) blade 24 carrot gold /half silver half gold with great success. a quick example one day on the Columbia last year with coontail and a wedding ring we boated 5 chinook and 4 steelhead the chinook we couldn't keep and the steelhead were all natives but it was a great day the number 2 blade I change out to a number 3 and do away with that number 8 trout hook but like I mention I make my own you can pick up all the components from Mack Lures sure hope this helps

KokeRook
02-25-2014, 12:21 PM
Very much so MrMike. Thank you,

I also made some with a Smile Blade instead of the metal blades (of course I have some with metal blades as well).

mrmike
02-25-2014, 01:31 PM
Last year I got a hold of numerous smiley blades and attached them to my Kokanee teasers with great success/with of coarse are trolled behind different type wobblers I use numerous types Alvin/ Paulson Cascades / Shasta/ Williams / Vances etc. I run approx 8 to 12 inches 12# flor carb I even use the School of fish with great success but that you can only attach a spinner good luck

Lund troller
02-26-2014, 11:28 PM
I for one use wedding ring alot on the Columbia for Steelhead with coontail shrimp even works with CHINOOK really can't be beat. I change the blades and I change the hooks always a double hook set up I have a box were I have all the components to mix and match all different color combinations have not found a better lure. My standard for kokanee is 30 inch leader I changed over to the Indiana (diamond) blade 24 carrot gold /half silver half gold with great success. a quick example one day on the Columbia last year with coontail and a wedding ring we boated 5 chinook and 4 steelhead the chinook we couldn't keep and the steelhead were all natives but it was a great day the number 2 blade I change out to a number 3 and do away with that number 8 trout hook but like I mention I make my own you can pick up all the components from Mack Lures sure hope this helps

Where do you troll on the Columbia ? I was thinking about going to Boardman some time this summer really liked the rv park there with marina.Just got a new Arctic fox camper we are really excited about checking out new places with it . I live in Oregon and fish at Greenpeter alot. Any info would be helpful thanks

mrmike
02-27-2014, 03:02 PM
Lund Troller I usually anchor up and don't troll this is the area from Chinook Landing down to 205 bridge area on the Columbia I will anchor in about 10 to15 ft of wate rmy first trip. was July 20 water was 68% we fished 12 ft of water used a 14 inch dropper 41/2 leader to a wedding ring laced with coontail shrimp used powder coated gamo hooks 3# when the Columbia temp went up to 70 plus degrees the fishing slowed down a lot there was a lot of green algie in the main stream last year really affected the fishing up higher in the river system was a lot easier /less sea weed lower in the system I usually average 6 or better fish a trip some spots the guide were in the teens per day a lot of native but its a lot of fun Later in the year Oct I will fish the John Day system for steelhead that tolling a bobber and coontail check out Angler West U tube Video there are some shows on the John Day SteelHead fishing LaPage park great camping beautiful river its actually like a lake AND GOOD CATFISHING FOR BLUES CATS IN MAY . I know they fish alot of Walleye in that boardman area drop down lower at the mouth of the descutes on the Columbia its about 14/16 ft of water they troll plug in the COLUMBIA AT THE MOUTH and fishing is great there in the fall you check the dam counts I don't fish green peter a lot just because its not very camper friendly and day trips are just to expensive pulling my truck and sled. Artic Fox is top shelf camper they sure don't give them away. I just made reservation for Wickiup for the opener and hoping to hook up with some of them hogs that really is a challenging lake but I got it petty well down (I think)

platypus
10-04-2014, 09:05 PM
--in BC there are several lakes and all streams that require use of single barbless hook.
--if lots of smaller kokanee I use barbless to allow more to escape before capture at the boat. Often find the second hook in the gills or through the gill plate thus no way to release the fish.
--other non target species getting hooked and not easily released.

--One you get used to single sickle hook I don't find I lose fish that I intend to keep. They have to have some chance and it is good practice to keep just the right amount of pressure on for when you get the monster that you don't want to lose.