PDA

View Full Version : reaction between hoochies and beads???

KokeRook
02-22-2014, 05:26 PM
I was looking at some hoochie rigs I made last season and notice there is a goo all over the beads and they are stuck to the hoochie.

Is this a common thing ? I have not seen this before?

What do you do to for this?

thanks,

dragonfly
02-22-2014, 05:47 PM
you can try washing them with soap and water and sometimes that will save them. but after using them with oil based scents/ corn you need to wash them thoroughly before you put them away because the oil reacts with the plastic and softens and dissolves your plastic parts if left to sit until spring. dfly

KokeRook
02-22-2014, 05:52 PM
Weird thing Shawn...these were not fished. never left my leader holder.

Here is what it looks like.
Maybe it is just the reaction over several months?

SilverBullets
02-22-2014, 05:57 PM
It's a checmical reaction between the rubber skirt material and the plastic beads (happens mostly with colored transparent plastic beads.) I've had it happen with hoochies still in unopened original packageing... never had a drop of scent oil on them. I've gone to no plastic beads in hoochies now... just a rubber bobber stop and soft oval beads.

KokeRook
02-22-2014, 06:00 PM
Interesting.....first time Ive seen this. I added a picture what it looks like...as you can see it was transparent beads.

thanks guys.

SilverBullets
02-22-2014, 06:29 PM
I've read other's reports of the same melting issues over the years. Some say good quality uv beads won't melt. Also, pom-poms found at craft stores (small colored fabric beads) are an option as well as bar straws. Pictured below are pom-poms... can be threaded on the line and hold scent well.

dragonfly
02-22-2014, 09:44 PM
I like the idea of the pom poms for scent retention as far as plastic and skirt I use kokanee creek tackle's combos and haven't had any problems so he must use the right combination although some of my home made ones were the problem ones, and after washing I keep them slid apart when I put them away so I thought the oil was the whole problem because the ones I didn't wash were still together and melted together. that's why this forum is so great we can always learn something new. dfly

KokeRook
02-22-2014, 11:06 PM
that's why this forum is so great we can always learn something new. dfly

So True Dfly....when we stop learning...we stop growing/improving.

Thanks guys.
Shane

platypus
09-05-2014, 08:21 PM
--not just the beads... some hoochies have softeners in them that will react with some plastics and colours others don't or use different softening chemicals. ... so trial and error... just try it before you make up 100.
--in other cases there is a lube in the tube.. again doesn't seem consistent...
-- some of the scents will also react with hoochie or bead

kelson
03-01-2015, 11:52 AM
Vist your local bead craft store. They have almost any color you would like in glass. My favorite are transparent colors with mirror faceted core. You probably won't find glow or some flourescent colors. Use the oval soft bead mentioned before if you want glow. You can also color these beads with the dyes used by bass fishers on soft plastic baits.
K

SuperD
03-08-2015, 10:36 PM
Use the oval soft bead mentioned before if you want glow.
Have you ever tested these? Put one under a light and go in a dark room. These literally have a 2 minute glow rate. I put them between my hooks to protect the leader but think they are garbage for glow.

kelson
03-15-2015, 11:53 AM
SD,
Good observation. I had not tested them. I did and found that a high UV light helped as did prolonged exposure to light. Super glow hard plastic are better for glow properties for sure. This chemical reaction is common in the salmon trolling game. I understand there are plastics that don't react but not sure what kind.

mtncat1
03-15-2015, 06:27 PM
I just order the correct beads from rmt their cheap and never melt you can also get them from some of the tackle craft stores. they look like a light bulb in shape.http://www.fishermanshack.net/images/products/5794.JPG

snowman
09-17-2015, 11:32 AM
I am pretty sure the melting is caused by the plasticizer that is put into the hoochies to make them soft and flexible (other soft baits like rubber worms are the same). The plasticizer will react with some plastics and melt (soften) them.

berryessakoke
09-22-2015, 01:26 AM
No reason to over think or reinvent the wheel...

Simple solution...Glass beads!...Mark

SuperD
09-22-2015, 11:14 AM
No reason to over think or reinvent the wheel...

Simple solution...Glass beads!...Mark
Although, glass is heavy and can effect lure action.

berryessakoke
09-22-2015, 02:32 PM
Although, glass is heavy and can effect lure action.

Yes a fractional amount of additional weight is associated with the usage of glass beads vs plastic, yet since the action of the hoochie is mainly attributed to the dodger/flasher/sling blade/etc/etc, I don't envision a noticable ( if any) lose of action.

We are talking of weights measured in fractions of a gram.

I know the major contributor to lose of hoochie action is too light a leader, where the leader "bends" & as such so is the dodger's direct connection to the hoochie, thus the reason a "stiff" leader material is recommended, between any attractor that imparts action & the lure it is attached to...Mark

chukardave1
09-22-2015, 05:03 PM
I have switched almost all my hootchies to the rubber bobber stop. Much easier to get the desired distance from the tail of the hootchie to the hooks. You do have to "reset" it sometimes after catching a fish, but it takes less than a second. I retie all my leaders on store bought hootchies for a few reasons, but one is almost all have the hooks of the hootchie covered with their bead spacing.

berryessakoke
09-25-2015, 02:02 AM
I have switched almost all my hootchies to the rubber bobber stop. Much easier to get the desired distance from the tail of the hootchie to the hooks. You do have to "reset" it sometimes after catching a fish, but it takes less than a second. I retie all my leaders on store bought hootchies for a few reasons, but one is almost all have the hooks of the hootchie covered with their bead spacing.

Why pay for the added expense of "Store Bought" hoochies, then retie them to your specifications?!

You are essentially making a custom made hoochie.

Why not just buy the components & make your own?!...Mark

chukardave1
09-25-2015, 11:00 PM
Why pay for the added expense of "Store Bought" hoochies, then retie them to your specifications?!

You are essentially making a custom made hoochie.

Why not just buy the components & make your own?!...Mark

My favorites are only sold pretied. And believe me I have inquired with the owner about just getting bulk hootchies. Some other manufactures of hootchies I like and use also don't sell/offer just hootchies. Its not that big a deal only a few bucks here and there.

berryessakoke
09-26-2015, 12:20 AM
My favorites are only sold pretied. And believe me I have inquired with the owner about just getting bulk hootchies. Some other manufactures of hootchies I like and use also don't sell/offer just hootchies. Its not that big a deal only a few bucks here and there.

Always seeking to learn & help.

Can you post a picture & manufacturer's name of your favorite hoochies?

I might be able to find a source for bulk purchase...Mark