PDA

View Full Version : Walleye Anyone?

DLM
12-19-2013, 04:45 PM
I am giving seriuos consideration to trying my hand at some Walleye fishing on the Columbia this year. Anyone with Walleye experiences or thoughts they are willing to share?

I understand there is a pretty active Walleye Club in Portland and will probably start working on straightening the learning curve there.

SuperD
12-19-2013, 05:02 PM
You haven't gone yet and I'm already envying you. I'm dying to try them just to see if they taste as wonderful as everyone says. I was watching an Al Linder show this past weekend and it looks like there are a few methods to explore. When I see the Walleye worm harnesses I think it can't be a lot different than koke fishing from the trolling aspect of it. Other methods seem like pitching it in the rocks like bass. Hope you get an opportunity and get it figured out.

mrmike
12-19-2013, 05:38 PM
give me a PM I have quite a few friends on the Walleye circuit and guide friends

mrmike
12-19-2013, 05:43 PM
give me a PM I have quite a few friends on the Walleye circuit and guide friends and they are excellent table fair Roger Rauch thee number one walleye guide drop by and left me some fresh fish a little while back they are soooooo goooood.

Ridgeratt
12-21-2013, 12:14 PM
Wally's one of the other White Meat's!! 101ok101

downriggeral
12-23-2013, 01:26 AM
When did you catch those Ridgeratt? PS Merry Christmas

Ridgeratt
12-23-2013, 11:19 PM
Before we start!!
Thank you for using the term I recognize: I wish you and your's a " Very Merry Christmas and A Joyous New Year!!!

Those were a spring run before I started fishin for Kokes. After the next week I'm Hard water roamin.

downriggeral
12-24-2013, 12:56 AM
David, Walleye is really yummy! We go on a men's retreat every spring in June at Kettle Falls, Lake Roosevelt, on the upper Columbia for walleye. We jig and troll with bottom bouncers and worm harnesses either home crafted or the ones from Mac's Lure. They seem to me to be a "tricky" fish to catch but we manage to catch some; what great table fare. thumbsup

PS Trolling for walleye is REALLY different than trolling for kokanee.tooexcited

Ridgeratt
12-29-2013, 12:46 AM
PS Trolling for walleye is REALLY different than trolling for kokanee.tooexcited

I'm so confused!! You have a boat, A rod stuck out the side and a your dragging a lure behind ya! 101schater101

downriggeral
12-30-2013, 12:21 PM
We use a bottom bouncer weight attached (modified) to a sinker slider above bead and swivel attached to the worm harness. Then we troll with the rods held in our hands. When you feel the "tap" of the walleye pick up you move the rod back to stop the bait and allow the walleye to eat it. Then you set the hook with a sweeping motion forward...works great, just takes a little getting used to. thumbsup

Just trolling it would certainly be easier though.

Happy New Year - Alan

Ridgeratt
12-30-2013, 09:53 PM
HA HA Santa just slipped a set of side planers in my sock. I'm gonna figure them out this coming year as well. I have been bottom bouncin and jiggin for some time.
But you can also drag a longline with a crankbait on it for suspended fish. Just like draggin gear for Silver's. nananana

Ridgeratt
01-05-2014, 12:43 PM
I read the reply about modifing the bottom bouncer!! Thanks for the great tip!! During the off season now I'm juggling tackle boxes for the up coming festival.