PDA

View Full Version : Doubled up hoochie rigs on same leader?

BorntoFish01
11-21-2013, 05:22 PM
Has anyone tried putting two hoochie rigs on the same leader? I have a pic of what I came up with but don't know how to load the jpg file on here.

At any rate each hoochie is rigged with 2 #4 sickle hooks and a small Smiley blade. From the tail of the end rig to the nose of the forward one is a length of 6 inches. I currently have the total length of this leader at 18 inches but would adjust that based on the size of the dodger I'd run it behind and the action.

Looks good in the bath tub but final evaluation of the action will have to wait until actually trolling from a boat.

I was also thinking of making up some of these doubled up rigs with wedding ring rigs using stack beads. Again I would probably use Smiley blades cause I think they'd spin more easily.

So, back to the original question....has anybody tried something like this, and if so would you be willing to offer info and/or advice in a post or PM?

SuperD
11-21-2013, 07:23 PM
Hoochie action is usually a function of the light weight and the dodger throwing it from side to side. You've increased your weight by double and put it on an even longer leader which further reduces the action. It might work but goes against all my senses.

BorntoFish01
11-21-2013, 08:02 PM
Yeah, I kind of expected that I'd have to reduce the 18" length eventually based on the size dodger used and what kind of action I was getting depending on troll speed, etc. As an after thought I was wondering if I should have added some soft bouyant beads to the mix.

Another thought would be to run this set up behind a metal or Smiley blade flasher setup instead of a dodger. That was what I was thinking when I thought I might try doubling up wedding rings on a single leader. That and this whole concept may be unproductive overkill and simply a indication of early onset of winter cabin fever....it's going to be a long freakin' winter!!!!!

trollmonkey
11-21-2013, 08:30 PM
Luhr Jenson has a set up with two hookless hootchie looking lures on the leader, and a hooked lure at the end. I haven't seen one close up ,they were catching Great Lakes kings on a WFN show( maybe " Fish'n Canada"). It looked interesting. TM

DLM
11-22-2013, 10:40 AM
Here is an option if you want to rig two hoochies.

The first hoochie, the one closest to the dodger would be 2.5 to 3 inches in length and secured to the leader with a bobber stop about 6 inches from the dodger, no hooks on this hoochie.

About 6 inches behind that use as small a wiggle hoochie as you can find, with hooks of course.

The front large hoochie will pickup some action from the dodger but this will be reduced because of the smaller hoochie behind it. The bill on the wiggle hoochie will create it's own action. This gives the appearance of the smaller hoochie chasing the larger hoochie and is used by some I have talked with. I am not sure on the success rate though.

SuperD
11-22-2013, 11:22 AM
I would be interested in converting a "School of Fish" rig into hoochies.

http://www.landbigfish.com/images/store/swatches/terminator-steel-rig.jpg

mrmike
11-22-2013, 12:40 PM
Let me help/or add my 2 cents for what ever that's worth BorntoFish with doubling up hoochies in my person experience fishing with hoochie kokanee to me didn't seem to like bigger stuff like a three inch hoochie my catch rate double and tripled if not more when I went to mini hoochies that's 1 1/2 inch size vs the bigger. I think it may be the action, but by putting a double rig on might hinder or hurt the action it will work for bigger fish, but with kokanee I found out smaller was extremely better. SuperD I don't want to sound like I'm ringing my own bell. I introduced the school of fish to Oregon Tackle two years ago they have taken off with it and its been a big seller for them they are personnel friends, as there is a problem with to many hooks on the school of fish with are against the regulations of are Department of F&W. I designed it to troll on the surface for kokanee I've super tune it over the years the main problem it has it can only be used with a spinner like a wedding ring as there no wobbler action to move it a teaser or hoochie doesn't work. Oregon tackle put a weighted head on there units. What I have done is designed the unit so I could long line them on the surface. They originally had willow leaf blades, I personnel have gone to gold in Indiana blades/and also Silver in the Indiana with better success. Two years ago when I said kokanee everyone looked at me like what's a kokanee well there attitudes has changed.

SilverBullets
11-22-2013, 04:42 PM
As mrmike was alluding to only 3 hooks per rod is legal (at least here in Oregon.) Like mentioned adding additional weight/drag might mess up the action from the dodger. A small spoon trailing the hoochie like a seps kokanee candy or dick nite (without corn) might be a better option...

SuperD
11-22-2013, 05:16 PM
mrmike, how about 3 wiggle hoochies (single hook) and 2 blades?

mrmike
11-22-2013, 06:12 PM
I personnel just used the school of fish just as or like a flasher and never attached a hook to it directly. I have NO idea when hooked directly LIKE YOU MENTIONED , but proof is in the pudding. I do know leader length from the school of fish to the spinner is important when I used it short, I had poor results when I went out to 36 inch it work great. I've had mix results with it. On the surface in the morning I had my best results running back 60 ft or so. The problem if I could correct is to get away from the spinners and go to a teaser with action. There was a cup like plastic thing out on the market that came in two sizes,but that was suppose to do the same thing give it a wobbler action, but my first attempt it failed. I then thought it was turning (the cup)and put a tooth pick inserted in the hole still no good couldn't get a action to the teaser. There is always this year. I feel if I can get action to a teaser it would be off the chart's. Using a wobbler with it which I haven't tried yet may be just to heavy, and why! just use a wobbler. Its only November I already got cabin fever.

Hotbites
12-10-2013, 11:41 AM
Are the "School of Fish":, Umbrella type rigs legal here in Calif ?

SuperD
12-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Are the "School of Fish":, Umbrella type rigs legal here in Calif ?
There is nothing about them that is illegal beyond how many hooks one is pulling. i.e. some number of hooks and some as teasers. I've seen guys fish 2 lures off one line via the mid line dropped technique so I'd be lead to believe 2 lures could be fished on the umbrella. My personal approach to fishing an umbrella rig for kokes would be to have the center lure trail even a little farther back as the weak minnow in the school. The trailer in the pack is natures instinctive victim to get hit.

mrmike
12-10-2013, 12:12 PM
go to www.charkbaittackle under this week's special have the school of fish/umbrella rigs on sale awesome price I would go with the 5 blade set up vs 3/4