PDA

View Full Version : trolling with a 2 stroke

kok-head
10-06-2013, 01:14 AM
i've recently started trolling with a 1980 johnson 7.5hp outboard, i trolled with it for the first time today for a few hrs and it ran perfectly

i frequently would touch the water coming from the water pump output and it felt room temperature or cooler then entire time

i know that 2 strokes run better at higher rpms and my main motor which is a 150hp 2 stroke loads badly and heats up quickly at lower rpms, if the motor is running at cooler temps and is running smoothly am i ok to continue running the motor as a troller?

it appears that all is well but i was hoping for some input from kff members just to make sure that i'm not hurting the motor by running it at low rpms for long hrs

fairweatherman
10-06-2013, 08:04 AM
I've ran a 1985 9.9 hp Johnson for ten years and all it has done is idle every now and then throddle it up to blow the cobwebs out of it still runs great if you just bought it I would change the impeller in it

downriggeral
10-06-2013, 10:17 PM
Great motor and follow fairweatherman's advice. I have run 2 stroke carburated a bunch and found using Evinrude (Bombardier) XD50 oil worked great along with their 2 Plus 4 fuel treatment. It eliminated most of the smoke and loading up. It also keeps the mixed fuel from varnishing and plugging up carbs etc. Run NON ethanol fuel if you can find it. The 2 Plus 4 really takes care of the ethanol issue too. You may have to change the fuel hose if you run ethanol fuel; it likes to eat the old fuel hose. One more tip, use the Champion recommended OEM spark plugs....they are different!
I currently have an Evinrude 90 hp E-Tec and Yamaha T8 kicker; I run 2 plus 4 in every tank of fuel all the time, no exceptions and no fuel troubles.

kok-head
10-06-2013, 10:32 PM
thanks for the advice, i do run non-ethanol fuel and champion plugs and ill try the oil you recommend

IDHewes
10-19-2013, 09:07 PM
I have a 79 Johnson 6hp I troll with. It idles or just above idle all day. Every couple hours I throttle it up and run at higher rpm for a few minutes then back to idle. When I'm done for the day I pull the gas line and let it idle until it dies. I also do the same thing with my 70hp. A mechanic told me to idle them till they die and I should never have a carb problem. Seems to have worked so far, knock on wood.