PDA

View Full Version : Finally a Koke!

evansusmc69
08-30-2013, 03:37 PM
I gotta say, I've never fished for a Kokanee in my life and I guess the good Lord knew that I probably never will so he blessed me yesterday. Coming from the river back to the ramp, something swimming caught the corner of my eye near the long point at Jarrett Creek. I whipped my bass boat around and seen something swimming upside down. At first I thought it was a big smallmouth but as I got closer with my net, I had no idea what it was!?!?! Netted it and put it in the boat and it ended up being a nice 2lbs 9oz male Kokanee....the first one I've ever seen in person. I put him in my livewell and tried to revive it, but it wanted to be dinner I guess.

I originally joined this forum and studied the kokanee some to fish large 8-13" kokanee look alike baits for big largemouth. I'm sure this fish didn't taste as good as the ones caught in middle of summer(since he seems to show signs of getting ready to spawn) but man was he delicious! I can definitely see why you guys target the salmon on Nantahala now :)

trollmonkey
08-30-2013, 09:00 PM
Man that's better than I did this year .My one trip out was a SKUNK. We saw them come up and check out our gear then sink away from it. That is a s sweet looking male. I'm hoping to get out and see them closer to spawning one of these days. TM ps ever fish Apalachia lake? Some good trout fishing coming there.

evansusmc69
08-30-2013, 09:48 PM
Yep, Appalachia should be my type of fishing soon! I usually fish it every summer for bluegill and perch(monster perch there). I'm gonna be throwing fake trout to catch the bass though alot more now that they are dumping a ton of trout in there every December.

trollmonkey
08-30-2013, 10:14 PM
My brother-in-law and me went to Apalachia last Saturday. It was a pretty slow bite but we got 7 trout 2 smallmouth and a walleye. in the area where we got 5 trout there were smallmouth chasing shad/herring on top. They would hit a little cleo ,and we had 6 on that came off before we got them to the boat. They were fair size ,maybe 14"-16". Most jumped and came off, a couple right at the boat. I'm looking forward to5-6lbs browns, that will definitely make the 3 hour drive out worth it.