PDA

View Full Version : Low Reservoir Levels

Bduck
08-22-2013, 08:40 PM
Just saw a news report on how low our lake level are. Willard Bay has posted launch ramps are closed but launching is still going on at your risk. Boats coming off are showing prop damage. E Canyon Res is at 50% capacity, Rockport & Pineview Res are at 35% capacity. Other reservoirs not mentioned are also low. Larger Reservoirs such as Bear L, the Gorge, and Strawberry are in good shape. For those of us living in the Salt Lake Valley, some are under water restrictions. crymeariver

trollmonkey
08-22-2013, 09:01 PM
Bduck I wish we could send some of our excess water your way. Around Asheville our official rainfall total is better than two feet above normal. We are waterlogged and being carried off by skeeters.

Bduck
08-23-2013, 08:29 AM
Bduck I wish we could send some of our excess water your way. Around Asheville our official rainfall total is better than two feet above normal. We are waterlogged and being carried off by skeeters.

We are in a travel mode for long distance fishing now. Sure can use alot of that water here with the western states here on fire.

SuperD
08-23-2013, 10:32 AM
Roger, it doesn't seem like last Winter was that bad to have these conditions. Where did all the water go?

smokepoles
08-23-2013, 10:45 AM
There are obviously multiple things that have played a big role, at least here in northern Utah. One is the exceptionally early and hot summer that we have had leading to greatly increased demand due to plant demand, evaporation loss, a long irrigation season...... Another is that while reservoirs started off in good shape (as you say the winter was OK), there was virtually no spring run off to overlap with the irrigation season. Thus, the draw down of reservoirs started right with irrigation as there was no inflow to compensate for the month or so that is more normal. Still, we are at the top of the chain here for the most part, and those downstream are surely feeling it more.

Bduck
08-23-2013, 09:57 PM
We have had 2 back to back exceptionally early summers. The heat has been terrible and irrigation for yards has been in high demand. This past winter looked like we were rich with an abundant of snow here in the Salt Lake Valley. Lake effect can leave us digging out while the mountain is only receiving a very small amount. I went fishing twice back in the early spring at E Canyon when there should have been plenty of runoff that usually stains the lake color. Instead there was enough water to rise just above the end of the concrete ramp. Both times I received very small dings on my prop. Didn't give it a third time is a charm attitude. Haven't been back since. Never made it to Rockport or Lost Creek at all this season.

Flyguy55
08-31-2013, 09:04 PM
A friend and I just spent the last 3 weeks sightseeing and fishing in southern Utah with our wives . Both of us had small camping trailers . We fish out of 9' plastic pontoon boats with E trolling motors . Except for lots of rain nearly every day it was a wonderful trip.
We spent one week and Fish Lake . Great fishing for 12 - 14 " rainbows. Fish Lake was full and in good shape .
We spent a few days at Bryce Canyon , ect . Tropic Lake was very low and Weedy.
Next was Otter Creek Res . Reports were for slow fishing for larger fish . Because of more rain we only got to fish a few hours before we got blown off from the wind and rain both days . Wed morning I hooked 8 trout and landed 7 all measuring 17" to 19" between 8:30 and 9:30 ? Otter Creek was low , and getting lower , some alge bloom . surface water lukewarm .
Fish were deep in the middle of the lake
Next we went to Panguach but didn't stay . Very Low and weedy .
We're going back next yr for sure . If that was slow fishing I want to be there when its good :-)
Camped at Navajo . Very low and weedy. Our wives had enough rain and headed home .