PDA

View Full Version : Can't wait to try this out-

already gone
06-27-2013, 09:34 PM
The wife and kids picked this up for me for Fathers Day and a Birthday-looking forward to using it on kokes from the Gorge now! Already broke it in with Smoked chicken wings and a whole chicken.

http://photos.imageevent.com/shadow40/52713gorge/websize/IMG_3485.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/shadow40/52713gorge/icons/IMG_3489.JPG

Anyone got a good recipe they use? I would be putting the fillets in a brine first.

Sorry if off topic-I'm just excited to finally put this to use-I might have to drag my generator up there next week with this thing. This is another reason for a 5th wheel in the campgound-(using as argument to wife). Beats cooking them on the portable barbecue at the back of the boat.

MP

Bullgrouse
06-29-2013, 12:23 PM
Simple is best... combine 1 cup non-iodized salt and 1 cup dark brown sugar. Sprinkle a layer of this in the bottom of glass/plastic container, add a layer of fish fillets, sprinkle again, fish again, etc. The salt mix layer only needs to be a 1/4" or so. The total amount of salt/sugar will depend on how much fish you have. I've done 9 ave. kokes (2 fillets ea.) with the 2 cups of salt/sugar. Put in the cooler/fridge for 12-24 hrs. When ready to smoke remove the fillets from the brine that forms and rinse well and pat dry. At this point I like to glaze the fillets with pure maple syrup and fill the smoker and follow the smoker directions. In my ancient Little Chief I run 3 pans of alder wood chips over a 6 hr period trying to maintain about 160 degrees. Enjoy.

BorntoFish01
06-29-2013, 07:08 PM
INDIAN SALMON CANDY.....mix/dissolve the following ingredients into a gallon of water. 2 lb bag dark brown sugar. 1/3 cup noniodized salt. 8 oz real maple syrup. Soak fillets, whole fish or 1-inch wide strips of fillets in brine in refrigerator for 12-24 hours. Remove from brine [do not rinse] and place fish on smoker racks allowing them to air dry for an hour of more allowing a tacky film to form on the fish. I use an equal mix of cherry, apple, and alder when I smoke this recipe. Timing depends upon a lot of variables so I'll leave that up to your observations. About an hour before finishing the smoke baste the fish with honey that has been thinned down [made watery] with the appropriate amount of water. Baste the fish again with the watered down honey when you remove it from the smoker. Hope you like the outcome.

already gone
06-29-2013, 10:56 PM
Just got back from putting the boat in the water yesterday and today-fantastic fishing. I thought I was doing well until someone showed me one koke well over 4 lbs and said his father still won the bet with something a little bigger! We slipped the boat and will be up there next Wednesday until Sunday. We brought back fillets from 6 nice size ones we kept.

Bullgrouse-we have just finished using your recipe for soaking overnight along with BorntoFish's recipe for 2 kokes-using strips. GulfStream also gave me a similar Indian candy recipe a while back and told me not to buy a smoker because I would be a slave to it forever once I started.... : )

Thanks for both of your recipes!

MP

SuperD
07-27-2013, 04:54 PM
Certainly you've had the opportunity to smoke more meat by now, Don't hold out on us! And we want pics!!!!!