PDA

View Full Version : stall going into gear

smokepoles
06-27-2013, 12:45 PM
I have a 1990 Evinrude VRO 90hp. It has been stalling when going into gear. Now this has not been a problem first in the morning and it idles wakeless fine as we leave the dock. However, with later starts in the day and sometimes have to punch throttle when getting into gear to keep from stalling. That is obviously not possible when returned to dock and trying to load up. So last week at the Gorge and at Willard just fired up kicker and put her on or pull her on. Son is embarrassed that is not the way to do it, but hey, gotta do what you gotta do.

First thing I'm going to do is replace the gas lines and primer bulb - perhaps a pinhole leak or something that opens as the day warms? Carburetors are clearly a second step, but why would they be OK first thing and then not later? Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

lowe1648mt
06-28-2013, 02:58 AM
Checked the gear lube recently? Just another possibility.
Did you get my message?

SuperD
06-28-2013, 10:28 AM
Next time you try it in the later part of the day, have someone pump the bulb while you put it in gear. If you are pumping in the morning, maybe it gives you a full bowl?

smokepoles
06-29-2013, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the suggestions both here and private. Clearly all things to look at.

I went ahead and changed primer bulb and gas lines. Not sure how old the ones on the boat were as they were there when I bought it a couple years ago and probably should have replaced then as I am a firm believer in preventative maintenance.

Took it out this AM to the local reservoir before the power squadron hit. First thing I noticed is that the bulb never got as hard as the old when priming although there clearly was gas drawn into the line. More like the firmness in the bulb for my kicker.

Started up a bit cold blooded as always and left ramp fine as always. Did some touring of lake and noticed a 1-2 mph gain in top end sometimes reaching 35 (gps). Made couple stops to have coffee and visit with wife and grandson or watch a guy on his jet boots. No problems starting or going smoothly into gear at idle without punching gas.

Came back to dock for the real test as this is where I was having most issues earlier after it sat while getting boat. Luckily no issues this time and son drove it right on boat, although he had taken it out for another spin while I got truck.

Anyway, I hope this solved things, but I've been there before where thought it was solved and pops up again. Thus, I will save all your suggestions as for any needed next step. Nice to have an extended base of experience through the forum.

Bduck
07-01-2013, 07:39 PM
I think its time I changed out my primer bulb for my kicker. It gets a little hard to sqeeze or prime fuel. 101duh101

smokepoles
07-02-2013, 11:33 AM
Well Roger, lets not make fun of us less experienced 101ok101

Took the boat out Sunday to Willard, and again had a problem coming in. It was quite hot already, and the outboard is in the sun all morning, we were thinking it was vapor lock. However, later at home I did identify two issues that were of my own doing (or should I say undoing).

First, I learned that holding the primer bulb vertical is best so that it pumps up harder - draws fuel in, valve works well and forces air out best. Everyone (but me) probably knew that.

Second, the hose had loosened on the plug going into the motor such that it would freely turn and I could feel some fuel leekage. Now, I had tried to tighten the clamps on the new hose as much as I dared putting it on, but I think these newer hoses are so much softer it was not enough and/or the hose had additionally softened with all the heat of the late morning. Maybe not solved things, but problems nonetheless.

Bduck
07-03-2013, 08:55 PM
No fun intended Chuck. My sqeeze bulb(doesn't sound right does it) gets hard(now it sounds dirty) 101schater101 if not used for a while whistlersmother especially those trips when cold temps come into play. But during warm weather the initial prime is still hard. 101smily101

smokepoles
07-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Roger, I'm not going to touch any of those with a ten foot pole!laugh hyst

Still haven't heard how your day trip to the Gorge went the day before we left? I'm going back on the 18th on buddy's boat and camper, this time to fish some for myself!

I might have to drag you out to Willard if it continues to fish and if the heat lets up a bit.

kelmark2590
07-17-2013, 10:26 AM
It sounds like you may have an issue with either the low speed jets in your carburetors or low compression in your engine. Do a compression test of the cylinders. You should see a reading of at least 115 psi in each cylinder, with all cylinders reading no more than 15% apart. If the compression is low, the engine is dying out because the engine can't create enough power to start moving the propeller (that is at rest) at the same time as keeping the engine moving. To check the carburetors, you can take a small spray bottle of 50:1 gas:oil mixture and spray it into the carburetors at idle speed or low speed. If you notice the speed pick up, then you have a fuel related issue (not getting enough gas). If that is the case, it would be a good idea to clean and rebuild the carbs. Here are the 1990 Evinrude 90 hp carburetor kits (http://www.partspak.com/productcart/pc/CARB-KIT-435443-Sierra-18-7046-3784p104901.htm) if you need them.

http://www.PartsPak.com

smokepoles
08-10-2013, 06:30 PM
All good suggestions as there are so many things that can cause the same issue. However, I had it out today for the first time since putting on new fuel line and bulb and re-tightening everything to make sure no leaks. Ran perfect even at idle speeds to load boat.