PDA

View Full Version : Did any of you get a Special Draw hunt for big game in 2013?

sawtooth
06-23-2013, 11:59 PM
Well after having a great year with the draw last year, this year I drew a blank. My son on the other hand, got his first choice for bull elk here in Idaho. He should be able to harvest his first branched antlered bull elk with this special tag. Anyone else get lucky in a special hunt draw for 2013?

mrmike
06-24-2013, 12:35 PM
I had put my grandson in for a youth hunt either sex DEER HUNT and for Antelope either sex he was lucky to get his youth deer hunt/man is he excited the journey begins getting him ready practicing with a high Cal Rifle my wife has a 7mm08 youth motel we will break him on, we are all excited got a lot of work to do. I had just gone with him this winter and we did his hunter safety course

sawtooth
07-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Congrats to your grandson. Let us know how the hunt goes this fall. Hope that some great memories are made.

mrmike
07-01-2013, 05:28 PM
Yes Sir us as mentors and as adults we have a big responsibility get these kids away from them #@$%^ Video games/I think I'm just as excited as he is/ the tag he pulled allows him to harvest one white tail buck forked horn or bigger or any blacktail deer . Know I have to get him practicing with a larger weapon. tHE WORD IS PROFICIENT.

sawtooth
07-01-2013, 05:57 PM
To make the practice fun and get my son used to shooting in real hunting situations, I set up several milk jugs and 2 liter bottles filled with water at various distances from an old game trail. I then have him walk the trail with me and when he comes across a target I time him on how long it takes him to find a good rest and take a good shot. Or I give him a set amount of time depending on the distance from the trail, usually 10-30 seconds. This has really helped him learn to shoot well from different rests and shooting positions as will as making the first shot count.

mrmike
07-01-2013, 07:50 PM
Practice/practice /practice I found really big balllooons like they are 10 or 12 inches I would blow them up (Party Balloons)could be bigger set them up at different yardage. I purchased for the first time a Premos shooting stick 3 legged (they are really awesome) I'll get him used to practicing using a rest. Its all in the journey its all part of the hunt these first stages the practice the walking at night to get in shape the harvest of an animal would be nice but not the whole story. For some reason some folks loose sight of what is a trophy.