PDA

View Full Version : double hooks

lcates
05-28-2013, 06:59 PM
I recently went kok fishing and now im hooked>After one trip I have started ready these forums and looking at lures so I can make my own stuff way more fun to catch on your own rigs.Any ways I read somewhere to use a sliding hook on your first hook and tie the second one but I have never seen any lures tied like this.Have any of u tried this and if so what were your results.Here is a lure I made with the double hook im talkin about.
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/tinman1o4/photo.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/tinman1o4/media/photo.jpg.html)

lcates
05-29-2013, 06:38 PM
u guys must still be laughing to hard by my lure to answer my question I guess I will just have to try the hook setup out and see how it works

SilverBullets
05-29-2013, 07:29 PM
Welcome aboard lcates! That's a nice looking lure ya got there... allways like to see new ideas. I've never thought about tieing up with a sliding hook. Since most strikes occur on the front hook (your slider) i'd be concerned with the fish running up the line away from the stinger hook. Also, line abrasion could be an issue.
Here's a good video on a knot alot of us use...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSo9HjG5ZUI

calamari
05-29-2013, 10:06 PM
When you tie the knot on the front hook, if you decide to, make it so when the line goes through the eye it doesn't rub against the side of the eye where the wire ends as that will abrade it and can cut it off after a long fight or several fish. Make it go through the eye so that it bears against the opposite side of the eye, the "smooth" side, and you'll have the best knot that is possible.
Is that a walleye float you're using for a body? If it is you can cut a face in it, redirect the line hole so it goes at right angle to that face instead of parallel to the body and it will wobble like a Bass-O-Reno plug. Trout and kokanee like them.

Steelheadin360
05-29-2013, 10:10 PM
yea i would be worried about that top hook cutting the line..

SuperD
05-29-2013, 11:10 PM
icates, a sliding double hook arrangement does have a sliding hook but it isn't free floating like you've got it. It is actually tied to the leader so that it can be positioned up and down the leader but stays there unless pulled on by a fish. It is quite common in the ocean salmon leaders that I tie. For Kokanee, this type of leader is not necessary. Double snell your hooks with end to end spacing and you'll be fine.

SuperD
05-29-2013, 11:14 PM
Here is what my salmon double hook with slider looks like:

http://imageshack.us/a/img819/9359/sliderknot.jpg

lcates
05-29-2013, 11:50 PM
got it i will re tie and yes it is a float i actually have caught a couple of koks with a orange one.Calimari r u saying to make it like a banana shape and fish it sideways without a spinner just with the float some beads and hooks ps thanks guys im sure i will be asking more questions about makin lures

calamari
05-30-2013, 01:19 AM
Icates, no, not like a banana. Like a J plug or a Lyman plug. Take a look at a picture of them and just use a Dremel tool and a cylinder shaped cutter to do it. Get a sewing needle hot and melt the new hole in the proper direction to copy the J or Lyman's configuration for the line to pass through the plug's body. Put a bead on the line and tie on the hook behind it. There'll be the hook, a bead, the body and the line going out the front to the rod. You can use the barrel shaped floats too. Just be sure there is about 2/3of the plug behind the line hole so it wants to float back up and resists spinning with the result that it wobbles instead.

mrmike
06-03-2013, 04:50 PM
lcates I like your new lure design but you will/may have a have a problem with your top hook sliding, but as fisherman we live and learn/ I lost 9 Coho Salmon on one outing at Boyou 10# on the Columbia River a few years back with a sliding top hook my top hook keep sliding and hitting my bottom solid hook set and they would nock them selfs off. Have never used a sliding hook set up ever since/ I always use solid tyes/ just a little friendly advise. I'm always making my own stuff been pretty good at it. Practice makes perfect remember you will try 10 different things its that one that will work.

calamari
06-03-2013, 09:56 PM
When it was legal, I used a sliding top hook like SuperD shows for mooching and caught my share of Kings on it. You can cinch the snell on the top hook so tight you can't slide it without burning through and breaking the main line. Just letting the top hook slide may be more problematic and result in lost fish if they were measured in pounds but since kokanee typically aren't, you may not have a problem as long as you check the rig often. If you bust fish off it's not a huge life altering deal and will help you learn more about rigging your tackle. Keep us posted so we can live vicariously.

lcates
06-05-2013, 12:09 AM
I retied and threw that idea away thanks for the help guys