PDA

View Full Version : All Quiet On The Eastern Front?

rgarbar
05-28-2013, 04:06 PM
The East seems pretty quiet this season. Been a cold, rainy, windy spring at Nantahala Lake. A lot trees above 4000' still have a ways to go to be in full bloom. I set out today to chase the kokes but could only boat a trout and a SM bass. Not much change from last week when I got the big skunk. The surface temps were about 66 degrees and the thermocline only a few feet below. I did mark more fish this week than I did last week. Most fish in the upper water column. A big season lag this year! Hoping it won't be long to separate the warm water fish from the cold water fish. I'm thinking I have another week or two to get my first koke this year. Will try again this weekend!

trollmonkey
05-28-2013, 08:09 PM
Hey Ron, We did great on our annual Calderwood trip. The four of us probably caught around 90 trout Thurs-Sunday. Two browns the rest rainbows including my best bow in years a 21" 3lbs 2oz wild rainbow. I'll try to post a pic when I find my camera. We got most of them casting to weed lines boulders and bushes, just a few trolling. It was our most productive trip out there.

trollmonkey
06-02-2013, 12:58 PM
63316332633363346335Here are some pix from Calderwood. My 21" rainbow and 16" brown ,both wild fish. I'm hoping to get to Nantahala by the end of June, but it may be after my Granddaughter arrives ,she is due July 19. That's Grandson Will sporting a sweet stache ready to hit the water

rgarbar
06-02-2013, 08:22 PM
Mark
Great catch and nice looking fish. Was going to go out for kokes today but as usual we had heavy rain and T storms in the Nantahala temperate rain forest. Plan to go out on Tuesday 6/4 for kokes. Will try the DH on the Nanty tomorrow. Hoping it is not blown out with all the rain. At least I will catch something there. golucky

trollmonkey
06-02-2013, 09:06 PM
Hey Ron, Good luck in the river. You can keep them in the DH section now ,It reverted to hatchery regulations yesterday. I've always caught plenty after the DH is off in June. I'm heading that direction the week off 6-10 for work. I'll be fishing the DH section and slinging big Rapalas in the lower river on my lunch hour fishing. Let me know how the kokes go. If you have any heads I'm going to drop some off later that week. Take Care

1bigfish
06-03-2013, 03:30 PM
Good afternoon men,

Nice looking trout from Calderwood. We did well on the brook trout there. Spoke to a man that caught a 7 pound laker. Ron, keep hunting for those kokes. Hope to see ya'll soon.

Fred

rgarbar
06-09-2013, 04:07 PM
Mark

Tried to PM you but got this error message!

trollmonkey has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space

Went out last Tuesday. Again no kokes. Just a 12" rainbow and I lost a decent walleye at the net. Even the trout are smaller! Very slow. Just those two strikes and the walleye was on a long line. I get tired of cranking up and putting something else on. The weather is still unseasonable. Have not seen a hummingbird and not many yellow finches and Grossbeaks to my birdfeeders. Even the chiggers are not biting to much! Hard to get 2 sunny, warm days in a row. Been partly to mostly cloudy most of the time. Almost everyday we get at least a rain shower. A couple of drought years and a deep drawdown last fall may have impacted the spawning kokes the last few years. I am going to try again this week at least once and will continue to target the kokes until the middle of July. The whole East coast seems pretty quiet as we have not heard a thing from those guys in CT. At least tell us the lobster rolls are still good at West Hill. thumbsup Will keep you posted.

Ron