PDA

View Full Version : Carry a Spare Prop-

Trophy Taker
05-20-2013, 09:41 PM
If you don't carry a spare prop-hub I highly recommend that you do. Last Thursday morning I was flying north on the Gorge toward the fishing grounds (40mph) just as I got into Anvil the boat falls off plane and the RPM's hit the rev limiter. Thankfully my kicker (old reliable) got me back to lucerne (several hours later).

I quickly found out that having any boat problems at all at the Gorge can easily mean the end of a long trip. I checked with Mike at the Lucerne shop but no joy for a Yamaha hub. Same luck with Les at Buckboard and Craig at Wakeless in Manila. I ended up lucking out and caught "Halojm" before he left to come up for the derby and he was able to bring me the last one up from Dicks in clearfield. THANK YOU ROB!! thumbsup

The interesting part of all of this is having a hub fail without a prop strike. I have never had one go bad out of the blue on the any of the past 4 boats I have owned. I suspect a manufacturing flaw in the bonding process between the plastic and the brass. Nevertheless, if you don't carry a spare hub I recommend that you do. Fortunately I got of the lake before the you know what started blow on the lake. It would have been a real beast limping back to lucerne if the "W" was doing its thing.

Kokaholic
05-20-2013, 11:22 PM
Glad it worked out. Nice having that network of people to call.

Trackerg
05-21-2013, 01:16 PM
I carry a spare prop in the truck. I don't keep it in the boat. but I also added a deep cycle battery and a battery selector switch so I have plenty of battery power for the bow mount trolling motor. I figure I can get to a ramp with the bow mount...unless the "W" comes up...in which case it will be the nearest shore. I guess I should carry spare prop nut also just in case.

SuperD
05-21-2013, 01:41 PM
It is more common than you think. Having a "spun" hub is like never replacing your impeller. Eventually the wear and fatigue is going to bite you. I can't envision ever being able to replace a prop while on the water but having an extra with you at the lake is very sound advice.

Bogey
02-20-2014, 11:13 AM
Once again, at the risk of showing how stupid I am, when you guys refer to a "hub" or "prop hub", are you talking the thick plastic washer or nut that holds the prop on? If you lose this, don't you lose the prop too? With my current boat, I carry an extra prop, washer, nut and cotter pin, but I'm not sure that's what you're talking about?

SuperD
02-20-2014, 11:36 AM
Bogey, the prop has a core that with age can come loose from the prop. The prop shaft spins but because inner hub has come loose, the prop doesn't spin. I also carry a spare prop and that will have you covered.

downriggeral
02-20-2014, 08:18 PM
Both the OEM Evinrude E-Tec prop and the stainless one I have use a separate hub system They are made to "shear" on a striking an object in the water hopefully protecting the tender prop shaft and gears. I carry both a spare prop and the hub system with attaching hardware. I have changed a prop while out on the water. We had to semi beach the boat to do it. Also care must be taken not to damage the transducers etc on the back of the transom while beached. I would always recommend removing the prop at home to be sure it is not corroded on. I use anti-seize on the spline so it doesn't corrode on the prop shaft. A stuck prop is as bad as no spare! 101idea101

Bogey
02-21-2014, 10:00 AM
Thanks - sounds like something I should invest it...

downriggeral
02-21-2014, 11:15 AM
P.S. If you are going to invest in another prop and you don't have a stainless I would investigate it. I switched to a stainless last spring and love it! All around runs better and we fish Lake Roosevelt in the spring when the water level is rising; lots of bark and wood. The stain less will tolerate that stuff and not have chunks bit out of it like the aluminum did. We have a great prop shop here in Spokane. You can PM me for info if you would like. Alan

SuperD
02-21-2014, 03:32 PM
On the subject of spare things to carry, I typically carry a few extra trailer lights. I just realized that I'm out and ordered my clearance and stopping lights.

downriggeral
02-21-2014, 10:18 PM
Really David...get some L.E.D. lights! You will never look back to the "good old days". I hated having to work on trailer lights every time I turned around. Heck I don't even unplug when launching!! I know that is so bad but in the last 5 years I have not had to touch the trailer lights. Life is good; let's go fishin'
thumbsup