PDA

View Full Version : buying new batterys ?

dragonfly
05-13-2013, 07:17 PM
saw this on another web site and thought it would help with making the right battery choice. http://www.dekabatteries.com/assets/base/0149Generic.pdf

dfly

lowe1648mt
05-13-2013, 08:32 PM
Look here for more info-------http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/content/product_info/marine_f.asp

SuperDaveMT
05-14-2013, 11:31 AM
It's interesting that none of the industry developed material promotes the use of golf cart batteries for trolling motor applications. I don't have any experience with them, but I know I've seen several posts on this site and verified with a battery store employee that they have far superior amp hour capacity if you have room for enough of them at 6 volts each to meet your voltage needs.

lowe1648mt
05-14-2013, 02:44 PM
We use them for Inverters on boats as large as 30 ft. I am on my 2nd year using them for my Motor Guide bow mount trolling motor ( 55 lb thrust). I get 3 to 3 1/2 days before I need to recharge. That is in a 16 ft boat. The motor/ battery combo will push my boat at 2.5 mph ( loaded heavy). I usually troll for 4 to 6 hrs a day.
I also use them to start my main motor. It is a 9.9 4 stroke Merc.
By the way Dave, if you follow the address in my previous post, you can add the numbers and draw your own conclusions as to how fit the will by for the application. You won't have to rely on some salesman's opinion. I was never a salesman. only a mechanic and rigger.

dragonfly
05-14-2013, 03:33 PM
6v golf cart batterys come it many sizes most common is 10 1/2 x 7 x 11 and weights 58 lbs. to 11 1/2 x 7 x 16 3/4 and weights in at 115 lbs they run 383 - 935 cap. ( mins.) at 25 amps. the problem is the weight for a 24 volt system even with the smallest ones would be 232 lbs and the big ones would run 460 lbs but you could troll all month with them, you just can't take any one else with you. laugh hyst. dfly

SuperD
05-14-2013, 04:03 PM
My buddy just put some monsters in his boat and I think he said they each weighed over 100 lbs. The boat now sits bow forward in the water. It is just going to take a little time before his pride will allow him to cave to a $400 mistake.

mrmike
05-14-2013, 06:41 PM
I just purchased 3 odysseys 12 volt extreme 34m pc 1500 AGM for my new Minnkoto bow mount for my sled they weigh 30# each thats only 90# total. They were $300.00 each. I have a 36 volt system on the 101 thrust I was talked into these batterys by the folks that installed the unit they advised because of the weight and battery life this was the only way to go. That is a lot of money for batterys. these folks were the experts they advised i will not be sorry there battery life is the best there is. we will see

dragonfly
05-14-2013, 07:33 PM
well like they say mrmike, B O A T bust. out. another. thousand. I am just glad I can do all my own work and get great comercial discounts because other wise with my upgrades I like doing I couldn't afford to take it out of the shop, more or less fishing. dfly

mrmike
05-14-2013, 08:58 PM
Yea your so right, one thing I wasn't born with, is the ability to fix things or the patients, For tools I just own like three hammers one is bigger then the others. It takes years to customize your boat the way you like 2 yrs ago was a new kicker, this year the electric there is no such thing as the perfect boat. they are money pits,but I sure like mine though.

SuperD
05-14-2013, 10:08 PM
I look back fondly on the customization years (when I had some extra money). Now my boat is at the age when it is a maintenance whore. I'm lucky if I can only have one thing I need to fix or maintain at a time. I keep thinking that a new boat would fix that for at least a few years out!

dragonfly
05-14-2013, 10:29 PM
luckily I don't drink ( that muchwhistlersmother ), smoke, or do drugs so the boat and kokanee is where my addiction money goes.laugh hyst. mrmike a big hammer is sometimes what it takes. and Dave you know a new boat won't last long before you will be changing things to make it better. no mater what you buy, be it a boat or lures there is always something that should be different. dfly