PDA

View Full Version : Glow Inc. Paint

Kokonuts
04-10-2013, 12:54 PM
I have been using Glow Inc. paint on some of my lures & dodgers at Merwin with some very good sucess. The paint comes in small jars with different tints and glow power. Its real easy to brush on and I am using the Green (Very high Glow) Blue (Very high Glow) & White (medium Glow). The green is the longest lasting rated at 24 hours. I havnt been using them that long yet so I dont know if I'll have to repaint them. Storage & recharging is also being tested.

Even with the fish in the top 15 Ft. on these rainy days, I think the extra glow power really stands out and that they will be even better when the fish go deeper!! I have found a new respect for the old standard Spin & Glow by using a little Glow paint on them! Its now my go to lure and I have caught several Kokanee with them in the past 2 weeks.
For Dodgers & Sling Blades I have repainted the top side with spray paint added spots of contrasting colors or tape then the Glow Paint. The paint is $$$ at $7.99 for a 1/2 pint jar but a little is all it takes.

You can check out: www.glowinc.com I will report more in the next couple of weeks.

Kokonuts 101idea101

SuperD
04-10-2013, 01:07 PM
Just my opinion but this paint is just as good or better quality at a better price.

http://www.kosmickreations.net/

SuperDaveMT
04-10-2013, 03:02 PM
So has anyone had a chance to compare some of the various manufacturers or have experience with specific ones? It looks like Glow Inc runs $8 per 1/2 oz, Glow Mates runs $10 per ounce and looks to have the widest selection of colors and SuperDs Kosmic runs $10-12 per 2 oz.

westend
05-10-2013, 02:17 PM
I used to use Glow Inc's products exclusively but they have always been expensive and have just gotten more expensive over time. Eventually I decided that I had to find another source that matched the quality especially of the green and aqua colors. I did and as a result founded Kosmic Kreations (http://kosmickreations.net) with the goal of being able to sell quality glow in the dark powders and paints without ripping off the customer. In addition Glow Mates is run by a great guy who gets some of his powders from my company. So you can trust all three companies for quality. Glow Mates specializes in fishing while Kosmic Kreations specializes in star murals but I am an avid fisherman. Glow Inc simply sells powder and paint and has no specialization when it comes to application.

The decision basically comes down to price. All glow in the dark paints are made from powders imported from China. Don't fall for any BS that they have customized the formulation locally. Not all manufacturers of glow in the dark powders are the same so the trick is to find a manufacturer that makes a quality product. The powder is then shipped in bulk to the US where we mix with our own binder to make paint. Most water based paints use an artist gel as the binder with additives to improve them. Making your own paint from powder is not rocket science and I explain that on my site.

If you ever have any questions at all about using glow in the dark paint or powder then please feel free to ask me. I'll put my email in my profile.

Best regards.

SuperD
05-11-2013, 07:06 PM
Welcome to the boards Peter. I just got my order. Thank you for the service.

Dave

calamari
05-11-2013, 10:26 PM
Glow paint phosphorescing in a useful way for 24 hours seems way too long. Look it up in Wkipedia for a good description of the subject.

calamari
05-12-2013, 01:30 PM
I bought glow paint and pigments from Herter's decades ago when it was still Herter's. Messing with stuff like this is fun on a rainy day. You can buy just the pigment powder at the below site and come up with your own way to use it. I'd think sprinkling a fine coating onto a clear wet coating of varnish or lacquer would result in some very unique finishes. I'm sure you could come up with other sources for the pigment.

http://www.glomania.com

westend
05-12-2013, 11:26 PM
Hi,

Hey Dave, never knew what you were using the glow powder for. :)

Glow Inc's V10 may technically glow for 24 hours but not as you would expect "glow" to mean. All glow in the dark paints lose 50% of their initial brightness within the first minute. There becomes a point at which the powder is still glowing but you'd need a pitch black environment in which to see it. After an hour V10 is 260 times less bright than it was immediately after turning off the charging source. This is typical performance for all glow in the dark paints and powders.

Now if you're painting stars on a ceiling you'd get hours of enjoyment. If you're using a glow in the dark lure then we're into a whole new territory. Unless you're fishing in the crystal clear waters of Lake Tahoe you're fishing in something a little more murky. So your glow in the dark lure is losing its effectiveness faster as the glow is having to overcome the waters ability to transmit light.

I've fished with glow in the dark plastics from Gary Yamamoto and while they glow really well I'll only fish with them for five minutes before reeling them in to recharge. I'm about to start making plastics with my own green and aqua and I'll see if they work any better.

Kokonuts could you post pictures of your glow lures? I'm very interested. I've not fished for Kokanee with glow lures just Bass and Crappie and they seem to love them.

Best regards,
Pete.

SuperD
05-13-2013, 11:42 AM
Pete,
See Bduck's reply #13 in this thread for your powder at work.

http://www.kokaneefishingforum.com/fishing-forums/showthread.php?6624-Downrigger-Weight-Color

westend
05-13-2013, 06:37 PM
Thanks Dave,

That's very cool. I've got a shipment of 10-30um powder in for green, aqua and sky blue. I'll check tonight if I have other colors. That powder still has the same glow as the larger powders but is much easier to work with and will spray well out of an airbrush. I do not have the powder on website yet but I do have another customer who I custom ordered the powders for and it works great for him. I'll be getting the new powders on the site this week.

I'm going to be hitting the garage sales looking for old and tired lures to work on refinishing them with glow powder.

I'm off to Lake Sonoma for a week in mid June. So I'm going to get a whole bunch of lures and plastics made up to experiment with. Not hunting kokes though. We're mainly on our yearly catfish hunt. But man I love Kokanee so I'm going to badger him to go trolling in Lake Tahoe in August for some.

Best regards,