PDA

View Full Version : Freezing temps worried about engine

Mike
04-08-2013, 02:37 PM
Hey guys,

Before I left OR Friday with my new boat I swung by a boat mechanic and had them pull all the engine drain plugs. They didn't remove any hoses on the engine we still have some below freezing nights in the forecast. Is pulling the drain plugs enough to protect the block against damage or do I need to pull hoses also. I'm just really paranoid I would hate to have a ruined motor before I even get the chance to run it. The engine is the merc 4.3L. Also I'm sure it's going to need re-jetted for altitude. I've been looking on the internet for the jets I need but haven't been able to find anything does anyone have a good source for mercarb jets?

Thanks Mike

SuperD
04-08-2013, 03:21 PM
What year is it? It's not a fuel injected 4.3?

Went back and looked at your other post. An 04', 4.3L should have be EFI.

Mike
04-08-2013, 03:28 PM
It has the thunderbolt electronic ignition but doesn't have fuel injection. Any thoughts on the colder weather and the motor?

SuperD
04-08-2013, 04:15 PM
I think your below freezing temps have probably been reduced to some night time lows. How much longer do you think you'd be nervous about it? A small lamp with a 40w bulb in the doghouse would probably provide all the protection you need for the next couple of weeks until Spring fully hits Wyoming.

Mike
04-08-2013, 04:21 PM
Mostly the next two days. Its suppose to get down to 15 tonight and tomorrow's high is only 26 with a night time low of 11. Might go buy a drop light tonight when I get in from the field and toss it in there and maybe run a little pink through my fish locker pumps just to be on the safe side. Just noticed your from Sacramento according to the title on the boat thats where it came from... well Fairfield, looking at the map it's a few clicks in from the ocean... are those mostly fresh water inlets near Fairfield?

Thanks, Mike

SuperD
04-08-2013, 06:46 PM
Depends on the tides. The salt can push quite far up the inlets.

Mike
04-08-2013, 09:15 PM
Well just to be on the safe side, when I got home I flushed the fish locker pumps and bilge pump with pink. I also borrowed a couple magnetic engine block heaters from work and placed one on each water manifold. I'm hoping the conduction will keep everything happy. It was probably overkill but better safe than sorry I guess. I feel like an over protective new parent laugh hyst

Bduck
04-08-2013, 09:59 PM
Mike
Yup, there is salt nearby. I use to live in Fairfield and fished the sloughs around there. Suisun City has access to the bay. Did some waterskiing there & wondered at times if I was going to meet up with something big. I felt like a lure on a mission. 101shock1101 Or was I chum? nonono
By pulling your plugs on your IO all water drains down & out. You'll be ok this time of year. Feeling a little paranoid can be a good thing that it will give you a piece of mind. You can never be to cautious. Even adding the lamp as SuperD suggests but that's all you'll need for now. However, if your boat is going to take the brunt of a full winter, pull your plugs and drain lower hose with trapped water, pull upper hose to pour just a little anti-freeze so you can fog the motor with ignition disconnected. This will disperse throughout the water jackets and come out at prop. Some boats have a self contained anti freeze system. My boat stays protected in the garage year round when not in use. But I do drain the motor after every use. Towing the boat in very cold temps(late Nov or early Dec for example) for a couple of hours I don't trust. Also, lower outdrive while on trailer and let trapped water drain back out thru prop area. Don't forget to raise it back up before towing. It doesn't hurt to drain the oil in lower foot to check if moisture has penetrated during the regular fishing season. I have seen this before. A new seal kit usually cures that.

Mike
04-08-2013, 10:32 PM
Bduck,

Thanks for the reassurance like i said the block heaters are probably overkill but as you pointed out it gives me peace of mind. Yesterday I did pull the drain plug on the lower leg and let some oil run out into a container and it was nice dark green gear lube with no signs of water so that made me really happy!

Thanks, Mike

Bduck
04-08-2013, 10:56 PM
Mike
Rock Springs WY

Hope to see you on the Gorge soon.
Good Luck with your new toy.