PDA

View Full Version : Where to mount downriggers

Full_Monte
10-21-2008, 10:14 AM
I have two Scotty manual downriggers. I'm not running electrics like most of you because I'm saving up for a decent fish finder. I've had these for awhile.
One is a short-arm rigger and the other has a 30 inch boom. I'm thinking of mounting the short-arm on the port side near the stern so that I can operate it from the tiller seat. The long-arm I'm thinking of putting on the starboard side close to the middle of the boat so that my partner can operate it. Do you guys have any tips on selecting the best locations?

Kokonuts
10-21-2008, 01:46 PM
Monte, I have 4 pole holders mounted 2 on each side . I made up a mount using the bottom half of another ploe holder & a piece of Trex deck board so that I can move the downrigger to any of the 4 positions. I also have the Scotty 30" boom & am planning on buying another this winter.
I bought a Hummingbird 565 FF this summer but I am allready thing of upgrading so my advice would be get the best you can afford........Kokonuts

Kokaholic
10-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Sounds like you have it figured out to me. That should work as good as any.

Petty4life
10-21-2008, 07:01 PM
I have two Scotty manual downriggers. I'm not running electrics like most of you because I'm saving up for a decent fish finder. I've had these for awhile.
One is a short-arm rigger and the other has a 30 inch boom. I'm thinking of mounting the short-arm on the port side near the stern so that I can operate it from the tiller seat. The long-arm I'm thinking of putting on the starboard side close to the middle of the boat so that my partner can operate it. Do you guys have any tips on selecting the best locations?

pictures of what your trying to do would help

Full_Monte
10-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Monte, I have 4 pole holders mounted 2 on each side . I made up a mount using the bottom half of another ploe holder & a piece of Trex deck board so that I can move the downrigger to any of the 4 positions. I also have the Scotty 30" boom & am planning on buying another this winter.
I bought a Hummingbird 565 FF this summer but I am allready thing of upgrading so my advice would be get the best you can afford........Kokonuts

Kokonuts,

Mine are already mounted in pole-holder mounts for my other larger boat. The koke boat is an aluminum 15 ft. Gregor and I don't see how to use the pole-holder mounts on that boat. It seems to need clamp-on mounts or a bracket attached to the angle-stock stiffeners on the sides of the boat. Are you using a fiberglass boat?

HiTechKoke
10-22-2008, 09:49 PM
"Other larger boat" - Hey are you holdin out on us Monte?

I had a 14ft Gregor and fished Kokes with it and two Scotty's with the clamp-on the side and just needed a block of wood to get the angle right. If you fish for trout they seem to be hitting now at DelValle. I like to go over there once in a while... also to secretly try for the very small Koke population but that is over this year and didn't yield anything. It's a good lake for small boats too as it is only 10MPH.

Full_Monte
10-23-2008, 01:36 AM
"Other larger boat" - Hey are you holdin out on us Monte?

Yeah...I'm holding out on you. I have a 24 ft. Grady White that I haven't used in over 10 years. Got sick and didn't do the maintenance. Now it's sitting there looking at me. It's too big for freshwater, in my opinion, and towing it behind a pickup/camper is not a very attractive idea to me.