PDA

View Full Version : Hoochies & Squids

Tuna On
02-21-2013, 12:46 AM

I better a Kokanee on at least one of these squids. It is going to be another great year.

Pzak
02-21-2013, 07:36 AM
I have never used a dark blue, black or deep purple hoochie. For whatever reason, I always run the bright colors. When do you go to them?

kokanee-lou
02-21-2013, 08:19 AM
I have never used a dark blue, black or deep purple hoochie. For whatever reason, I always run the bright colors. When do you go to them?

The deeper your lure is, the color the fish sees changes because the water absorbs the light until there is no visible light available. There is an article called Kokanee University at http://fishwithgary.com/kokaneeuniversity.html that explains it all. Hope this helps you as much as it did me.

SuperD
02-21-2013, 09:55 AM
I definitely see some I like!

mrmike
02-21-2013, 12:12 PM
Pzak use the darker colors on dark days,what could really help you is pick up THE MASTER ANGLER by PHIL RABIDEAU USING COLOR TECHNOLOGY TO CATCH MORE FISH it a must read 360 892 6111 Mr.RABIDEA PHONE. HE LIVES IN VANCOUVER,WA We all catch fish all the book does is explain why something work and other do not. Its very inexpenses like $15.00 It will change the way you fish.

Rrogers
02-21-2013, 06:28 PM
Great site Kokanee-lou Thanks for the info.

Pzak
02-23-2013, 03:05 PM
Two great references. I gravitate towards the (almost white) UV purple or purple glow early in morning and switch to either pink or orange as the sun gets into the water. Seems if a dodger/hoochie combo is not working well, I go to a spinner and can normally find them. I will give darker colors a try this year. Should make for an interesting experiment in the boat. Thanks guys. Lots of fish know-how here.

mrmike
02-25-2013, 12:06 PM
Pzak you correct you need to experiment/ when things are working and then it stops as the sun gets higher in the day you have to change thing up usually the fish go a little deeper its all trial and error could bea change beromiter pressure etc.

dirty bird
02-25-2013, 11:09 PM
Did really well last summer on a blue with white head micro hoochie, always mid day with the sun overhead and not deep (down to 35'). Never had fished blue for kokes before but a friend said I really should. Had some lights out action at Odell a couple of days. Blue and yellow spinners also.

mrmike
02-26-2013, 11:39 AM
DirtyBird It seemed at Wickiup last season the Micro hoochies were the ticket for us there were different color patterns but they liked the Micro alot.

dirty bird
02-26-2013, 08:20 PM
Mrmike, I also did really well at Wickiup last year on micro hoochies, but not blue. I tried a lot but only caught a fish or two. Was an orange bite for me almost exclusively except for opening day. Did really well on purple & pink, pink, and pink & white glow. The fish at Odell loved that blue hoochie at 15' in the afternoon wind!

Fallriverguy
02-27-2013, 03:43 PM
I have done well with blue fishing below 50 feet at Odell.

mrmike
02-27-2013, 07:16 PM
There was a local yocal that I met at the end of goose island on the lake on opening day and he makes and sell Micro he just spanked them actually gave a clinic he had his 25 fsh pretty early in the day he was by himself in a older white boat. He showed me what he was using, just a red micro FISHING on top and your right later in the season they really turn on to orange. Do you think I had a micro in the boat NOOOOO AFTER THAT i had them pretty well dial in. Then the tournament came and I couldn't keep a fish hooked up. Took me awhile to figured that out, but That why they call it fishing not catching

dirty bird
02-27-2013, 08:08 PM
I am that local yocal Mrmike. Was a great day!

SuperD
02-27-2013, 10:18 PM
DirtyBird It seemed at Wickiup last season the Micro hoochies were the ticket for us there were different color patterns but they liked the Micro alot.
I spent time testing a lot of micro hoochie spinners from a new tackle company on the market called Mag Tackle. They caught lots of fish for me so I'm a believer in the micro size.

mrmike
02-28-2013, 06:08 PM
Hello dirty bird thanks for the lesson/these kokanee always got you thinking

dirty bird
02-28-2013, 08:29 PM
New and last season's micro hoochie colors. A couple of these I can't wait to try. This year I am going to test some of these darker colors. These smaller diameter hoochies have been real effective for me. Now to see what this year's hot colors will be.

chukardave1
02-28-2013, 11:20 PM
New and last season's micro hoochie colors. A couple of these I can't wait to try. This year I am going to test some of these darker colors. These smaller diameter hoochies have been real effective for me. Now to see what this year's hot colors will be.

Yes Please!!! Those look great!

Fallriverguy
03-01-2013, 09:14 AM

I did really well with the orange ones last year as well. You have some winning colors in that group. Nice!

mrmike
03-02-2013, 04:40 PM
I'm a believer/ get a hold of dirty bird he spanked them. get his stuff

ianjames7613
05-15-2013, 05:43 PM
I kind of jumped off into all things kokanee recently, fishing for them, lure making and such. I bought a bunch of supplies to start building and bought my hoochies from a guy back east his store is called Hoochie King. He has tons of colors to choose from and has great customer service, he even threw in a few extra. What impressed me the most was the customer service you can hardly find it most places. If anyone is looking to buy some hoochies you should check him out. I was very satisfied.

SuperD
05-15-2013, 06:17 PM
I kind of jumped off into all things kokanee recently, fishing for them, lure making and such. I bought a bunch of supplies to start building and bought my hoochies from a guy back east his store is called Hoochie King. He has tons of colors to choose from and has great customer service, he even threw in a few extra. What impressed me the most was the customer service you can hardly find it most places. If anyone is looking to buy some hoochies you should check him out. I was very satisfied.

I beat you to him. Nick is a great guy.