PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Long Island

captiva
01-31-2013, 04:41 PM
I wanted to introduce myself to the forums.

My name is Pat and I am from Long Island. I have been a kayak / canoe fisherman for about 15 years. For the last few years, I have concentrated on saltwater on Long Island (stripers, weakfish, tog, albies, fluke, etc.), but prior to 2006, I was almost solely a freshwater guy, and much of my freshwater fishing was in CT for trout - primarily fly fishing the rivers, but also trolling many of the lakes. I would also make a few trips per year to the north country to pursue landlocked salmon, lake trout, and splake.

My two primary lake spots in CT for trout were East Twin Lake and West Hill Pond - both are about a 2 hour drive from my home on Long Island. I have also fished Wononusuc and Crystal Lake. I like to troll for trout.

Although I fished both East Twin and West Hill many times over the last decade, I never targeted kokanee and forgot that the state even stocked them. This was because my efforts in targeting them in New York were a total failure! LOL! Back in the 1990s, NYS had a kokanee program in the Adirondacks which has since been discontinued for budgetary reasons. :( I fished two of the lakes up there - Lake Colby and Polliwog Pond. . . . . although I tried, I never caught one, and the fact that they were plankton feeders really psyched me out, so after a few unsucessful tries, I gave up.

So, earlier this week I was researching places that I could take my wife on a day trip with our kayaks, and was thinking of west hill pond, so I did some research to see what the fishery is like there currently since I don't think I've fished there in about 8 years . . . . and then I saw that there is still a kokanee program there. Kokanee is something I have never caught, and the niche style of the fishery interests me greatly.

Later, I found this site, and can't tell you how informative that the posts are. I've learned a huge amount about kokanee fishing in only a few days and am starting to get the fever myself - looks like speed, depth, and presentation are all very unique - salmon are very different than trout, and I know when I target landlocks, it is a whole other ballgame than browns and rainbows.

Anyway, I am here to learn and will likely be making a couple of trips to west hill this year. Although I have had good success trolling trout over the years in East Twin, I thought west hill would be a better choice - slightly shorter drive for me and a smaller lake. Plus, East Twin has gone down the tubes over the years for trout for me, since they introduced alewives in there - I started fishing there in 2000 and every year got worse - but maybe it is the fisherman and not the fish.

I hope to meet some of you guys out on the water this spring. I have even orded a book about kokanee fishing.

I don't have a downrigger but am very adept using leadcore line. I see most people use downriggers. Any advice for a leadcore guy? Also, I have a fishfinder gps on my yak - seems like that is very important too - when trolling, are you looking to mark fish and just troll through them back and forth, or is it all a searching game throughout the lake?

Although I have caught landlocked Atlantic salmon from the kayak, I never caught a koke and it will be a real highlight of the season for me to just catch one! Any advice for a newbie would be greatly appreciated!

SilverBullets
02-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Welcome aboard captiva!! I've only fished for kokes here in Oregon so can't help much for your particular area. Alot of the information here seems to work at most lakes though so check out the FAQ's sticky at the top of the general discussion forum. Pay attention to the write-up on jigging... might be fun from a kayak. signfishin

Bduck
02-06-2013, 09:11 AM
Welcome aboard Pat. 101welcomw I too am a western lake fisher and don't know much of the lakes in your territory. Your YAK sounds like fun but with our style of fishing, have you considered an upgrade to boat that can have all of the equipment such as downriggers? There are alot lakes in the west that have descent size kokes and some lakes would be better using a boat. Flaming Gorge is a bucket list lake that won't disappoint you. thumbsup

Trout Tracker
02-08-2013, 07:30 PM
Welcome aboard. Lots of great info on this site. Dont be afraid to use some of the western methods out here in the east for the kokes. West Hill is a great salmon fishery. East Twin can be hit or mis but if you can find them they run larger than at West Hill. Good luck out there.

SeaDog
02-10-2013, 03:13 PM
Hello captiva,

I live 8 minutes from West Hill Pond and fish it all summer for Kokanees.
Mostly night fish for them at anchor.
Found many times that the daytime activity on WH puts the Kokes off.
You'll see me in my 14' wood guide boat most evenings.

Best regards,
SeaDog

trollmonkey
02-10-2013, 07:05 PM
SeaDog how goes it ? Looks like like you guys need to start shoveling snow now if you want to hit the lake by spring.

SeaDog
02-11-2013, 04:44 PM
Hi tm,
Yeah! We got clobbered.
Wife and I where trapped in the house for 2 days by the snow.
Finally got someone to plow us out today.
Snow got up to 2 1/2 feet here in Winsted.
Definately has put a serious damper on ice fishing.
More work then Fun !
Crazy Wx we've had now for 2 years running.
I'm ready for Sunshine - Warmer Temps - Open Water - And KOKANEES !thumbsup

Best regards,
SeaDog 101wave101

captiva
06-04-2013, 10:05 AM
Hello captiva,

I live 8 minutes from West Hill Pond and fish it all summer for Kokanees.
Mostly night fish for them at anchor.
Found many times that the daytime activity on WH puts the Kokes off.
You'll see me in my 14' wood guide boat most evenings.

Best regards,
SeaDog

Hey Seadog! Sorry for the late response!

My wife and I are heading up there this weekend to look for some kokes and trout. Should be up there Saturday afternoon and fish into the early evening.